• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't know about you but with the new CGC changes on May 1st...

187 posts in this topic

I can understand a price increase. But a 100% increase?? That is one hell of a whopping increase. It will have more than a few people second guessing whether to submit a book or not. I would think they get the most submissions from the older book's... But I don't submit book's at all. So this price increase wont do me one bit of harm....

Its really not.

If you were submitting books from 75 to 79, instead of subbing them in the Economy tier, sub them through the Value tier. It's an eight dollar increase instead of double what it was.

So one has to spend $690 to take advantage of the "only $8 increase" per book.

Sounds like a deal. :tonofbricks:

You have to also consider CGC knows that alot of HG books from 1975-1979 are worth alot more money in 9.4+, and people sending them in the old Modern Tier were really taking advantage.

Lets say I sent in an X-men 108 and I vlaue it at $100.00 but it comes back a 9.8. Well now your talking not even close to $100.00.

I don't see the big deal.

Either start to sent that era in bulk or have them pre-screened.

I can understand a price increase. But a 100% increase?? That is one hell of a whopping increase. It will have more than a few people second guessing whether to submit a book or not. I would think they get the most submissions from the older book's... But I don't submit book's at all. So this price increase wont do me one bit of harm....

Its really not.

If you were submitting books from 75 to 79, instead of subbing them in the Economy tier, sub them through the Value tier. It's an eight dollar increase instead of double what it was.

So one has to spend $690 to take advantage of the "only $8 increase" per book.

Sounds like a deal. :tonofbricks:

For those that don't have that many to submit or don't feel like dishing out that much, it is not a bad idea to combine your subs with other boardies you know ;)

Do you think you will be paying more for books 1975-1979 books submitted with the price increase?

Maybe for them, they don't consider it wasting their money hm

lol

ya ya......but I can't hold my tongue on that. They are dumb. :hi:

They can get the books cheaper graded on eBay rather than subbing it themselves.

There is no fun in that :baiting:

Maybe for them, they don't consider it wasting their money hm

lol

ya ya......but I can't hold my tongue on that. They are dumb. :hi:

They can get the books cheaper graded on eBay rather than subbing it themselves.

There is no fun in that :baiting:

In that case how I submit is right and how they submit is dumb! :jokealert:

You have to also consider CGC knows that alot of HG books from 1975-1979 are worth alot more money in 9.4+, and people sending them in the old Modern Tier were really taking advantage.

What difference does it make?

CGC is supposed to be an independent 3rd party grader. "Getting a piece of the action" shouldn't be part of their business plan.

I can see the justification of price tiers because some books are tougher to grade than others (Golden Age) and very high ticket books do require extra rigorous examination.

That said, X-Men 116 is no tougher to grade May 1, 2009 than it was 3 years ago. And if we are to believe the party line, it should have been getting a thorough resto check all along.

Wow, that's a crazy announcement, and as that represents the majority of my slabbed buys, I think it might be time to crack out some CGC books, sell the rest, and just concentrate on raw. I sense the supplies will be much lower and interest dropping on set-fillers.

At these prices, and the "price shift" at higher-priced CGC 9.6 to 9.8 grades anyway, you'd have to be a maroon to submit these potential 9.2-9.4 books at the current rates.

Alot of People are Maroons. lol

I cant tell you howe many times I have seen people submit at the CGC booth countless copies of X-men #1 (1991) and other junk from the 90's at $22.00 a book.

Yes you are wasting your money.

Not everybody gets trained by Bob Storms.

:makepoint:

Some people have to learn through hard work and mistakes.

:baiting:

I would recommend that anyone that works for CGC to please check comics on Ebay from 1975 to 1979. What you will find is that asside from Star Wars 1 35 cent issue, Giant X-Men #1, Iron Fist #14, and Jonah Hex #1 you basically have a glut of books that are now not worth it to grade.

:screwy:

+1

+2

I will however say there are going to be ALOT of books that wont be submitted anymore because of the return. But that just means price increase on available copies.

+3

I deserved that. I got carried away in the moment, and became a victim of hyperbole. Note to others, do not take a 2 minute glance at prices on Ebay, and think you have the 1975 to 1979 market figured out.

I would recommend that anyone that works for CGC to please check comics on Ebay from 1975 to 1979. What you will find is that asside from Star Wars 1 35 cent issue, Giant X-Men #1, Iron Fist #14, and Jonah Hex #1 you basically have a glut of books that are now not worth it to grade.

:screwy:

+1

+2

I will however say there are going to be ALOT of books that wont be submitted anymore because of the return. But that just means price increase on available copies.

+3

I deserved that. I got carried away in the moment, and became a victim of hyperbole. Note to others, do not take a 2 minute glance at prices on Ebay, and think you have the 1975 to 1979 market figured out.

:applause: Nicely said.

CGC is supposed to be an independent 3rd party grader. "Getting a piece of the action" shouldn't be part of their business plan.

I can see the justification of price tiers because some books are tougher to grade than others (Golden Age) and very high ticket books do require extra rigorous examination.

That said, X-Men 116 is no tougher to grade May 1, 2009 than it was 3 years ago. And if we are to believe the party line, it should have been getting a thorough resto check all along.

X-Men 116 isn't a modern book, though - so why it should be graded under the Modern tier?

Get over it.
(thumbs u

I hope no one submits any books. That way, when I submit mine, I will have total control over the 1975 - 1979 market like Dena has over your sig line.

(worship)

X-Men 116 isn't a modern book, though - so why it should be graded under the Modern tier?

It's all semantics.

Books from 1985 aren't "modern" books according to hobby nomenclature yet CGC is grading them under a "modern" tier.

Is CGC's "modern" tier supposed to perfectly align with the OSPG definition of "modern" era? Then maybe CGC should add an Atom Age and Copper tier to get it all straightened out. ;)

Get over it.
(thumbs u

I hope no one submits any books. That way, when I submit mine, I will have total control over the 1975 - 1979 market like Dena has over your sig line.

Both you and Dena ROCK!!!!