• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't know about you but with the new CGC changes on May 1st...

187 posts in this topic

You have to also consider CGC knows that alot of HG books from 1975-1979 are worth alot more money in 9.4+, and people sending them in the old Modern Tier were really taking advantage.

Lets say I sent in an X-men 108 and I vlaue it at $100.00 but it comes back a 9.8. Well now your talking not even close to $100.00.

But in cases where the graded book was worth more than the tier allowed, CGC would charge the higher rate, placing that book in a higher bracket.

X-Men 116 isn't a modern book, though - so why it should be graded under the Modern tier?

Huh?

So CGC has changed this to 1991 and forward now? That's Modern, and you need to cut out all of the 1980's books to qualify under accepted standards.

Maybe there are real reasons for this increase.

1. For some reason the books take longer to grade, maybe higher resto rates than 1980-current books? Maybe something else that makes them more comparable to earlier books than later books.

2. Maybe they are using this era to test the waters for bigger price increases for all tiers.

I always hear how far behind they are. How many books dont get submitted because of the long turn around times? They are a business, as they are not in the Wal-Mart business. They have few competitors, is PGX even considered a competitor :D The barriers to entry are high, and substitute products, are books that as the past has proven, are often sold over graded and with undisclosed restoration. Monopolies are supposed to be high profit industries not low margin high volume industries like Wal-Mart. There only concern should be at what price points due submissions drastically decline.

Personally if I ran CGC I would increase the prices to see what happens with submissions. I have a feeling if turn around times were quicker more books with be submitted. The problem is finding the balance that gets you the extra books due to quicker turnaround times without causing demand to drop off the the cliff. If they overcharge to much they could always increase the discounts to 15% or 20% to lower the cost again

Bruce

You have to also consider CGC knows that alot of HG books from 1975-1979 are worth alot more money in 9.4+, and people sending them in the old Modern Tier were really taking advantage.

Lets say I sent in an X-men 108 and I vlaue it at $100.00 but it comes back a 9.8. Well now your talking not even close to $100.00.

But in cases where the graded book was worth more than the tier allowed, CGC would charge the higher rate, placing that book in a higher bracket.

Only sometimes. They have never done it to me. Even on Value Tier where I got several 9.8s that are GPA of $400-500, they did not bump me.

Wow, that's a crazy announcement, and as that represents the majority of my slabbed buys, I think it might be time to crack out some CGC books, sell the rest, and just concentrate on raw. I sense the supplies will be much lower and interest dropping on set-fillers.

At these prices, and the "price shift" at higher-priced CGC 9.6 to 9.8 grades anyway, you'd have to be a maroon to submit these potential 9.2-9.4 books at the current rates.

Alot of People are Maroons. lol

I cant tell you howe many times I have seen people submit at the CGC booth countless copies of X-men #1 (1991) and other junk from the 90's at $22.00 a book.

Yes you are wasting your money.

Not everybody gets trained by Bob Storms.

:makepoint:

Some people have to learn through hard work and mistakes.

:baiting:

I worked hard at grading prior. :baiting:

CGC hasn't had a true price increase in years. Sure they had a discount reduction but some people didn't realize there was a different discount depending on which dealer you used. They just standardized them all.

People just got used to no price increases in almost 9 years.

Price have gone up everywhere else except for CGC.

Holders cost more to make, electricity costs more, heating and water cost more, pay raises cost more, it costs more to get to work and back for CGC employees. I don't understand why everyone is complaining. If you get a raise and the cost of business for your employer goes up and he charges more, do you complain then?

R.

Only sometimes. They have never done it to me. Even on Value Tier where I got several 9.8s that are GPA of $400-500, they did not bump me.

They are terrific at that. It's not like they are hawks looking to make a dime here and there. They only give you "the phone call" if there is a huge bump.

I agree Roy, this new price increase it not a big deal.

As stated before just save up those books from 1975-1979 to make it to 30+ books for the value tier or just prescreen.

Pretty simple. hm

X-Men 116 isn't a modern book, though - so why it should be graded under the Modern tier?

Huh?

So CGC has changed this to 1991 and forward now? That's Modern, and you need to cut out all of the 1980's books to qualify under accepted standards.

Uncanny X-Men 116.

Huh?

Uncanny X-Men 116.

When John Byrne OWNED the comic book art world.

:headbang:

They are terrific at that. It's not like they are hawks looking to make a dime here and there. They only give you "the phone call" if there is a huge bump.

Insurance plays into to this as well from their standpoint.

All in all if you as a grader know what you are doing you can play the game and still come out way ahread. (thumbs u

Just like I did on my last submission of books to CGC. :whistle:

CGC hasn't had a true price increase in years. Sure they had a discount reduction but some people didn't realize there was a different discount depending on which dealer you used. They just standardized them all.

Holders cost more to make, electricity costs more, heating and water cost more, pay raises cost more, it costs more to get to work and back for CGC employees. I don't understand why everyone is complaining. If you get a raise and the cost of business for your employer goes up and he charges more, do you complain then?

R.

Sometimes it helps to biltch about something for a little while just to blow off steam. Plus when a consumer has gotten used a to a certain product at a certain price point, it is a shock to have that suddenly see a huge change. I don't see too many people in this thread saying that CGC can't raise its prices. Just that the manner of change, as it relates to one particular submitting segment, puts a lot of pressure on that particular segment.

So for those of us, like myself, who have a large portion of our collection, both present and future, contained in that submitting segment, it is an important and worthy topic of discussion, even if it does meander into whining from time to time.

R.

Sometimes it helps to biltch about something for a little while just to blow off steam. Plus when a consumer has gotten used a to a certain product at a certain price point, it is a shock to have that suddenly see a huge change. I don't see too many people in this thread saying that CGC can't raise its prices. Just that the manner of change, as it relates to one particular submitting segment, puts a lot of pressure on that particular segment.

So for those of us, like myself, who have a large portion of our collection, both present and future, contained in that submitting segment, it is an important and worthy topic of discussion, even if it does meander into whining from time to time.

Would you say attorneys are professional whiners?

R.

I can sympathize.

(thumbs u

R.

Good attorneys solve problems.

Huh?

Uncanny X-Men 116.

Huh?

So has CGC changed the new tier to begin at 1991, the accepted start of the MODERN age?

R.

Without people like me you'd be worthless.

:devil:

Huh?

Uncanny X-Men 116.

Huh?

So has CGC changed the new tier to begin at 1991, the accepted start of the MODERN age?

No, what I'm saying is that CGC has adjusted their Modern tier to be more in line with what is commonly known as Modern books.

I can understand a price increase. But a 100% increase?? That is one hell of a whopping increase. It will have more than a few people second guessing whether to submit a book or not. I would think they get the most submissions from the older book's... But I don't submit book's at all. So this price increase wont do me one bit of harm....

Its really not.

If you were submitting books from 75 to 79, instead of subbing them in the Economy tier, sub them through the Value tier. It's an eight dollar increase instead of double what it was.

(thumbs u

:gossip: knowing a dealer who will give you a better discount helps.

R.

Without people like me you'd be worthless.

:devil:

Thankfully, that's not true. And, also thankfully, you are one of a kind.