• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't know about you but with the new CGC changes on May 1st...

187 posts in this topic

I would recommend that anyone that works for CGC to please check comics on Ebay from 1975 to 1979. What you will find is that asside from Star Wars 1 35 cent issue, Giant X-Men #1, Iron Fist #14, and Jonah Hex #1 you basically have a glut of books that are now not worth it to grade.

:screwy:

+1

+2

I will however say there are going to be ALOT of books that wont be submitted anymore because of the return. But that just means price increase on available copies.

I'll still submit mine as they are keepers. But that means I'll be adding around 3 Bronze to the census per year meh

I'm going to concentrate on sending in any books in the 1975 to 1979 time period since the date of the modern tier will only be from 1980up starting on May 1st.

Going from $16 to $32 is a big jump in price(if less than 10).

Anybody else doing the same or just don't have any books in the 1975 - 1979 time frame to send in for grading?

Okay where did you see that jump for Moderns? Cause I just looked at the webstite and Moderns 1980-Above are $17 with a 20 turn around time. And this is as of May 1st.

Comics Services and Fees, Effective May 1, 2009

Service Approx. Turnaround Time Max. Value Retail Price

Value 40 business days $150 /ea. $23.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Value Fast Track 20 business days $150 /ea. $31.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Economy 40 business days $300 /ea. $32.00 per book

Economy Fast Track 20 business days $300 /ea. $40.00 per book

Standard 15 business days $1000 /ea. $54.00 per book

Express 5 business days $3,000 /ea. $85.00 per book

20 Day Express Coupon 20 business days for comics submitted with Col Soc coupon $3,000 /ea. Col Soc Coupon

Walkthru Same day no limit 2.5% F.M.V.††

Modern * 20 business days $200 /ea. $17.00 per book

Modern Fast Track* 10 business days $200 /ea. $25.00 per book.

Reholder** 10 business days no limit $11.00 per book

Recert.*** Service selected Service selected ***

Actuallys its a smart business move.

They figure most people will hold off and wait till they have 30+books from the 1975-1979 to submit through the Value Tier as most books from those years fail into that range.

Considering the days of myself just submitting 4-5 books are over anyway.

Bulk and prescreen is the only way to go.

2c

You mean Machine Man #1 hasn't skyrocketed in price? :insane:

In all seriousness, I'm one of the dorks that actually collects books like Machine Man and 2001 in 9.8. This will basically make it almost impossible to find these books slabbed in 9.8 now.

Are you the one who bought my Machine Man #1 CGC 9.8w on ComicLink for $100 in February?

No.

Why would I do that when I can get it just about any time on ebay for $50? lol

:grin:

I'm going to concentrate on sending in any books in the 1975 to 1979 time period since the date of the modern tier will only be from 1980up starting on May 1st.

Anybody else doing the same or just don't have any books in the 1975 - 1979 time frame to send in for grading?

Okay where did you see that jump for Moderns? Cause I just looked at the webstite and Moderns 1980-Above are $17 with a 20 turn around time. And this is as of May 1st.

Comics Services and Fees, Effective May 1, 2009

Service Approx. Turnaround Time Max. Value Retail Price

Value 40 business days $150 /ea. $23.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Value Fast Track 20 business days $150 /ea. $31.00 per book

30 book min. submission

Economy 40 business days $300 /ea. $32.00 per book

Economy Fast Track 20 business days $300 /ea. $40.00 per book

Standard 15 business days $1000 /ea. $54.00 per book

Express 5 business days $3,000 /ea. $85.00 per book

20 Day Express Coupon 20 business days for comics submitted with Col Soc coupon $3,000 /ea. Col Soc Coupon

Walkthru Same day no limit 2.5% F.M.V.††

Modern * 20 business days $200 /ea. $17.00 per book

Modern Fast Track* 10 business days $200 /ea. $25.00 per book.

Reholder** 10 business days no limit $11.00 per book

Recert.*** Service selected Service selected ***

Moderns used to include books from 1975-1979. Thus the comments are based upon these "lost years" which are now part of the Econ submission schedule.

I don't see how a 100% increase in pricing will help any company out. Sure there making the extra money. But the submissions will surely go down. You can't argue with the Wal-Mart school of thought. They sell by volume not via profit.... Seems to do serve them well.......

I don't see how a 100% increase in pricing will help any company out. Sure there making the extra money. But the submissions will surely go down. You can't argue with the Wal-Mart school of thought. They sell by volume not via profit.... Seems to do serve them well.......

Invoice Submissions might go down but the books in that submission might go up is my point.

They make most of their money on moderns anyway.

I can understand a price increase. But a 100% increase?? That is one hell of a whopping increase. It will have more than a few people second guessing whether to submit a book or not. I would think they get the most submissions from the older book's... But I don't submit book's at all. So this price increase wont do me one bit of harm....

I think we should go easy on the hyperbole here - we're talking about books from a very specific 5-year time period that have had their slabbing cost dramatically increased because they were moved to a different tier; all other types of submissions have seen very modest price increases (which are fully in line with inflation, I might add).

Yes, it sucks for people who collect books from that period - but 1975-1979 books aren't moderns by any stretch of the imagination, and they shouldn't have been included in the Modern tier to begin with.

Wow, that's a crazy announcement, and as that represents the majority of my slabbed buys, I think it might be time to crack out some CGC books, sell the rest, and just concentrate on raw. I sense the supplies will be much lower and interest dropping on set-fillers.

At these prices, and the "price shift" at higher-priced CGC 9.6 to 9.8 grades anyway, you'd have to be a maroon to submit these potential 9.2-9.4 books at the current rates.

I can understand a price increase. But a 100% increase?? That is one hell of a whopping increase. It will have more than a few people second guessing whether to submit a book or not. I would think they get the most submissions from the older book's... But I don't submit book's at all. So this price increase wont do me one bit of harm....

No, the vast majority of the CGC submissions are straight-up moderns (not bronze).

Its really not.

If you were submitting books from 75 to 79, instead of subbing them in the Economy tier, sub them through the Value tier. It's an eight dollar increase instead of double what it was.

I'll likely just buy slabbed. I'm a bit of a grade snob, and some of the common bronze 9.8s are only $40-$60 books at most.

Its really not.

If you were submitting books from 75 to 79, instead of subbing them in the Economy tier, sub them through the Value tier. It's an eight dollar increase instead of double what it was.

(thumbs u

You mean Machine Man #1 hasn't skyrocketed in price? :insane:

In all seriousness, I'm one of the dorks that actually collects books like Machine Man and 2001 in 9.8. This will basically make it almost impossible to find these books slabbed in 9.8 now.

Are you the one who bought my Machine Man #1 CGC 9.8w on ComicLink for $100 in February?

No.

Why would I do that when I can get it just about any time on ebay for $50? lol

:grin:

I just wanted to make sure I was right in thinking you were smart. (thumbs u

Wow, that's a crazy announcement, and as that represents the majority of my slabbed buys, I think it might be time to crack out some CGC books, sell the rest, and just concentrate on raw. I sense the supplies will be much lower and interest dropping on set-fillers.

At these prices, and the "price shift" at higher-priced CGC 9.6 to 9.8 grades anyway, you'd have to be a maroon to submit these potential 9.2-9.4 books at the current rates.

Alot of People are Maroons. lol

I cant tell you howe many times I have seen people submit at the CGC booth countless copies of X-men #1 (1991) and other junk from the 90's at $22.00 a book.

Yes you are wasting your money.

Excellent post Michael. I have been pondering this myself. I have no problem with CGC raising prices in general. They need to make a living too and have kept their service affordable for a long time. It's only fair.

However, the decision to change the modern tier date cutoff (from 1975 to 1980) is troubling for several reasons. As already noted, books from the date range (Jan, 1975 to Dec 1979) are by and large not very valuable. Prior to this change, there was already very limited upside to submitting them as you could only make a modest profit (in most cases) if you ended up with a 9.8. For dealers that also added pressing fees to the equation to help secure that outcome there was even less incentive to provide certified books from this date range to Bronze collectors. Now, Bronze Completists are going to suffer.

I remember back several years when there was discussions on the boards directed at CGC in regards to developing a "more affordable" way to encourage the submission of books from 1975 to 1980ish as there was little coming to market due to the limited upside. I remember kicking a few ideas around with Steve on the phone too.

This is a step in the opposite direction unfortunately. I know there was no deliberate intent to discriminate against bronze collectors of this material but perhaps there is a better solution?

It seems to me that perhaps another tier could be created for this range of books. A "Late Bronze Tier" (1975-1983ish, like the revised bronze era) where grading fees fall closer to the "Value Tier". Currently, the "Value Tier" (at $23 each, limit 30 books) is the next best option although you lose $50 in value range and 20 days in the turnaround department... which is huge.

Why not a "Late Bronze Tier" that meets somewhere in the middle of the revised Modern Tier and the Economy Tier. Perhaps, $20 per with a turnaround of 30-40 days... or (like Value Tier) $23 per, but with maybe a 20 day turnaround like the Modern Tier? I see no problem with placing a minimum on this tier as well in the spirit of compromise. Maybe 20?

Just food for thought

77430.jpg.465540f5d2e7a1d2d636e0be44556875.jpg

Alot of People are Maroons. lol

I cant tell you howe many times I have seen people submit at the CGC booth countless copies of X-men #1 (1991) and other junk from the 90's at $22.00 a book.

Yes you are wasting your money.

Nearly everyone that gets into CGCing improvidently submits some books that they shouldn't. It's part of the right of passage.