• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered the first Sgt. Rock appearance?

79 posts in this topic

As a complete aside....

how many complete big 5 collections do you think there are?

I know of four people who have complete collections, but there are certainly others who've done it.

Wish I was one of them...

Shep

Does complete have to include the Quality G.I. Combats?

It was definitely an evolution. The creators were just doing a job, we're the ones that make a big deal out of it.

Read the stories, make up you own mind and then buy the issues you want. (thumbs u

As a complete aside....

I know of four people who have complete collections, but there are certainly others who've done it.

Shep

Speaking of which, did anyone see the G.I. Combat number 1 on comic link? Highest graded. :headbang:

As a complete aside....

Shep

Of the complete collections I am aware of, only one has a complete run of the quality GICs.

As a complete aside....

Shep

Of the complete collections I am aware of, only one has a complete run of the quality GICs.

The Quality issues aren't impossible to complete, but they are very tough in grade.

Since the value of #81 vs #83 was brought up I was wondering, how does the changing of Rocks first appearance and not being 100% certain of his first appearance affect the value.

I am currently collecting Unknown soldier and at $250 or so for a 9.2 I dont mind picking up a SSWS #151 at that price, but $1000+ for a 9.6 I would be very concerned. The same goes for OAAW #168, a few hundred I dont mind so much, but the closer to 1k I get the less inclined I am to pick up the book just in case. With Sgt. Rock we are talking around 15x the price.

Bruce

Wow, how often do these come up in an open auction? There

aren't many of them to begin with.

OAAW #81 broke out many, many years ago and more were likely collected and saved. While not exactly 'common', as a result I think it is easier to find than OAAW #83.

As far as grade goes, there do appear to be more FN and better copies of #81 compared to #83. Nothing empirical here... just what I've observed. Since both have dark, full bleed covers with a large color field, they both show even small defects pretty badly.

I would not be surprised if there is a 9.4 #81 floating around out there.... but I'd be stunned if there is a 9.4 #83... haven't checked the census lately.

I'd REALLY like to see the Salida copies on those. Did they make it into the market, or did the original dealer hang onto them. Has anyone ever seen them?

Mmmmmm. Salidas.

Shep

I'd REALLY like to see the Salida copies on those. Did they make it into the market, or did the original dealer hang onto them. Has anyone ever seen them?

Mmmmmm. Salidas.

Shep

Seeing the Salida 81 and 83 might just kill me. I'm not kidding. My heart could stop from the shock.

Mmmmmm. Salidas.

Shep

Seeing the Salida 81 and 83 might just kill me. I'm not kidding. My heart could stop from the shock.

I'm don't recall whether there's an 81 -- comick1 would remember better than me. There is an 83, 85 and 88.

Never was a Salida 81 to my knowledge.

Only Brucie'd know the answer for sure.

I think Kubert conceded the first appearance to Haney's & Andru/Esposito's story in OAAW in the intro to the Sgt. Rock Archive Edition. Kubert, being one the few creators to earn a degree of wealth from the industry (and then more from his school than anything else m'thinks) probably doesn't look at the residuals from reprints as being that big of a deal. So I can just imagine him viewing DC's effort to credit artists and writers (other than himself and Kanigher) with a first appearance of a significant character like Rock as a good thing.

I personally think he's being excessively generous. It's either that he's doing what AMAN mentioned (putting a stamp on something DC'd already decided) OR he's looking to concede "creating credits" to creators who led far less lucrative lives than himself. He is an incredibly nice guy after all.

Either that, or he's just misremembering the whole thing. . .

The #83 is so obviously the first appearance of the quintessential Sgt. Rock that when I read that Kubert thing, I just mulled it over in my brain a number of times just trying to make sense of it. The above were the only things I could come up with that lent themselves to any logical schema.

In the end, I think Adamstrange is right. It was just a job to most of those guys and we're the only folks who really care either way.

That being said, I covet many pre-character books nearly as much as the character-driven stories.

#83 is SOOO character-driven.

#81 just ain't.

Read 'em back to back and you'll know what I'm talkin' about.

Calling #281 the 200th aniversary would be just more of DCs final "executive decision" that 81 was the first.

I dunno, Overstreet isn't really gospel, and DC can say something is an anniversary, but it doesn't really make it so. I still think the collectors who are "experts" on this topic lend more credibility to me than anything else, and they all seem to be in agreement.

I agree. But DC has made ITS choice and is sticking with 81. And, we of course can always choose to believe otherwise. I personally think they were putting out a book and did some quick research themselves and came up with the order they now have stuck with for awhile.

IMO, our overall choice means more since we are placing valueS on whichever back issue gets the nod. DC doesnt care too much either way from a collectors standpoint.

That's the big issue - the upcoming Sgt. Rock movie.

It's been in development for something like 20 years, but the word is that there's a new -script and strong interest in getting the film into production. Sounds like Guy Ritchie (Snatch, RocknRolla, used to be married to Madonna) will be directing, at least as of last December...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sgt_rock/news/?a=5440

If the Sgt. Rock movie does get made by a quality 'gritty' director like Ritchie, it could be a sleeper hit. And no doubt OAAW #83 (and probably #81 and #82) will blow up larger than they have already.

Shep