• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,063 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, Primetime said:

Looks Everett to me as well. I like that cover too but wish his ankle wings 🪽 were not omitted. 

If it IS Burgos (and it very well COULD be), he did his very best to mimic Everett's Subby face! I can't believe Everett would forget subby's ankle wings though! 

On 6/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, Primetime said:

Looks Everett to me as well. I like that cover too but wish his ankle wings 🪽 were not omitted. 

I think the ankle wing omission might've been an editorial decision rather than an aesthetic one.  I recall reading somewhere that there was serious consideration of a TV pilot being produced and the goal may have been to make the character "look" as human as possible and easy to cast without prosthetics.

As for who created this cover, it looks like Everett to me as well (it isn't Burgos style, IMO), but it's interesting that there are specific elements of Alex Schomburg's technique present (homage perhaps?). Note: The appeal to the reader of the villain looking out of the cover and pointing at the hero along with some of the clean line work is classic Schomburg.

On 6/8/2023 at 3:19 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I think the ankle wing omission might've been an editorial decision rather than an aesthetic one.  I recall reading somewhere that there was serious consideration of a TV pilot being produced and the goal may have been to make the character "look" as human as possible and easy to cast without prosthetics.

As for who created this cover, it looks like Everett to me as well (it isn't Burgos style, IMO), but it's interesting that there are specific elements of Alex Schomburg's technique present (homage perhaps?). Note: The appeal to the reader of the villain looking out of the cover and pointing at the hero along with some of the clean line work is classic Schomburg.

Cat you’re right about schomburg putting a villain at the bottom of most covers staring out at the reader with a look of terror and dismay. It’s actually one of the things I like least about schomburg (and I’m a huge fan of his) because they are so cartoony.  I go out of my way to collect Schomburgs covers without that, the only exceptions being these . . .

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/8/2023 at 3:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Cat you’re right about schomburg putting a villain at the bottom of most covers, always missing many teeth, staring out at the reader with a look of terror and dismay. It’s actually one of the things I like least about schomburg (and I’m a huge fan of his) because they are so cartoony.  I go out of my way to collect Schomburgs covers without that, the only exceptions being these . . .

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

I actually love his tongue-n-cheek approach to get the reader to pick up the comic. The one Schomburg element that always bugged me was labeling things to make sure the reader got the point about the location, weapon or action. That's more cartoony to me, but viva la differance. We each have Schomburg preferences, it exemplifies why Schomburg art so diverse and interesting.

One of my favorite MMC covers... :x

18643f1f-b81a-4672-94c9-54e6554356bc_zps3qqhfovs.jpeg.f944f9a5b921beb0b2fa2b0a59bb857b.jpeg

On 6/8/2023 at 3:45 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

The one Schomburg element that always bugged me was labeling things to make sure the reader got the point about the location, weapon or action.

Why, whatever could you mean?

Hmm. What name could we come up with that sounds more dramatic than “water”?  By George, I think I’ve got it!

IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4191.png

On 6/8/2023 at 1:45 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I actually love his tongue-n-cheek approach to get the reader to pick up the comic. The one Schomburg element that always bugged me was labeling things to make sure the reader got the point about the location, weapon or action. That's more cartoony to me, but viva la differance. We each have Schomburg preferences, it exemplifies why Schomburg art so diverse and interesting.

One of my favorite MMC covers... :x

18643f1f-b81a-4672-94c9-54e6554356bc_zps3qqhfovs.jpeg.f944f9a5b921beb0b2fa2b0a59bb857b.jpeg

Seems he did a lot of covers with that grated ceilings with the super hero busting through going down to rescue some one. 

On 6/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, MrBedrock said:

The results of the Daring Mystery Comics in last night's ComicConnect auction lead me to believe that Darings are kinda hot...

daring1.jpg

daring3.jpg

daring4.jpg

daring5.jpg

daring6.jpg

daring7.jpg

Magnificent set of Darings Ricky!!!  :applause: I remember us discussing this run and you saying how much you love #7 (I do as well)!!! I just love the covers of #1 and #4 :luhv: !!! Wish I still had my blue 6.5 of #4. Oh well, I can still look at yours!!!  lol

On 6/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, MrBedrock said:

The results of the Daring Mystery Comics in last night's ComicConnect auction lead me to believe that Darings are kinda hot...

daring1.jpg

daring3.jpg

daring4.jpg

daring5.jpg

daring6.jpg

daring7.jpg

Your 8.5 # 3 looks better than the one on CC.  Where's #2?

On 6/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Magnificent set of Darings Ricky!!!  :applause: I remember us discussing this run and you saying how much you love #7 (I do as well)!!! I just love the covers of #1 and #4 :luhv: !!! Wish I still had my blue 6.5 of #4. Oh well, I can still look at yours!!!  lol

Thanks so much, Jimmy. I sure miss our Timely get-togethers.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Your 8.5 # 3 looks better than the one on CC.  Where's #2?

I don't have a #2 anymore. I had a pretty nice restored copy but sold it a while ago.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:19 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Why, whatever could you mean?

Hmm. What name could we come up with that sounds more dramatic than “water”?  By George, I think I’ve got it!

IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4191.png

lol  Well, "LIQUID ASBESTOS" would've been a better description (one issue of MMC did use that later on); this isn't exactly what I was referring too by excess labeling.

I mean examples like MMC #36 which is another sweet Schomburg cover, but IMO it would've been so much better without the labels... 

On 6/8/2023 at 11:44 PM, Primetime said:

🗽 🔥 

IMG_9333.jpeg

Thanks for posting this! I don't have a copy, but it's a perfect example of what I was trying to describe, ...and still it's an awesome Schomburg. (thumbsu

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 6/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Seems he did a lot of covers with that grated ceilings with the super hero busting through going down to rescue some one. 

MMC #28 is the only one I'm aware of with the Torch melting though a grated ceiling, but it's entirely possible I've missed some along the way.

Spoiler

66918c44-791d-42ab-a632-ed8d6c75d8b4_zpsfd6alaon.jpeg.014e7821eeb4a9c7fce164d4e41b61f3.jpeg

If there are more examples of a similar nature, I could easily become a Schomburg grated ceiling collector! :banana:

On 6/8/2023 at 11:11 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

lol  Well, "LIQUID ASBESTOS" would've been a better description (one issue of MMC did use that later on); this isn't exactly what I was referring too by excess labeling.

I mean examples like MMC #36 which is another sweet Schomburg cover, but IMO i would've been so much better without the labeled... 

Thanks for posting this! I don't have a copy, but it's a perfect example of what I was trying to describe, ...and still it's an awesome Schomburg. (thumbsu

Schomburg had so much experience in the ‘20s and ‘30s drawing instructional manuals and diagrams for electronics (transistor radios, etc). I’m sure he was really excited to do a detailed map of the Nazi invasion tunnel for MM36 and Goodman did not veto it 😊

On 6/8/2023 at 11:23 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

MMC #28 is the only one I'm aware of with the Torch melting though a grated ceiling, but it's entirely possible I've missed some along the way.

Reveal hidden contents

66918c44-791d-42ab-a632-ed8d6c75d8b4_zpsfd6alaon.jpeg.014e7821eeb4a9c7fce164d4e41b61f3.jpeg

If there are more examples of a similar nature, I could easily become a Schomburg grated ceiling collector! :banana:

I wasn’t thinking of specificaly “grated ceiling” covers. But, Schomburg did a lot of hole in the ceiling or sky light or dungeon ceiling cover rescues. I think Mystic #1 comes to mind as there are other similar ones.