• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

First two issues were Stag, Goodman looking to copy Esquire, and then the name switched here.

A final issue in the same oversized slick format as the others was Read! which is thought to be left over materials from the first three. 

Edited by Darwination

On 11/25/2023 at 11:04 AM, Darwination said:

First two issues were Stag, Goodman looking to copy Esquire, and then the name switched here.

A final issue in the same oversized slick format as the others was Read! which is thought to be left over materials from the first three. 

Interesting; apparently there were at least three issues of Stag under Goodman's masthead before the change to Male; there were earlier issues too ('37). My logical assumption was that Male was a one shot (unavoidable pun not intended in this instance). The timing was probably bad for another Esquire-like slick magazine with the war and tightening budgets.

Stag would return as a Men's magazine in the 50's with lots of b-grade fiction about nazi seductresses in high-heeled jackboots.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

The one that got away. I had consoled myself for missing the Dallas Collector's Summit this year by buying the last USA Comic I needed to complete my 6 through 17 run. Or at least I thought I did. They cashed my check back in November and told me that it would take a couple of weeks to clear; now MyComicShop tells me they sold the book to someone else and I bought it before they could remove it from their website. *&^&*%&@$#$$!  :cry: Just heartbreaking. No real blame on Mycomicshop just looking for some shoulders to cry on.Do wish they had noticed it was sold before they cashed my check though.

5761470_Full_Obv.jpg

On 12/14/2023 at 7:29 PM, plady69 said:

I had some really nice Timely’s at one time but sold them to fuel my DC addiction. The only ones left are my Blonde Phantom run.  Enjoy!

That is really cool and cheered me up a bit! (Blondes do that to me. :) )

On 12/14/2023 at 9:09 PM, Badger said:

Really disappointed I was stuck in OK and not in Dallas to see your collection. Absolutely stunning as always! (worship)

Would have loved to see you there as well.