• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

cap39.jpg

Wow. Don't mind me, folks, I'm just having a little moment here.

Richard, I used to own that book. That exact copy! I got it from Dave Smith of Fantasy Illustrated 20+ years ago. I walked into his shop in Garden Grove, saw that book in his glass case, and immediately had to have it. I didn't have any extra cash at the time, so we worked out a trade. I gave him a stack of stuff, can't remember what exactly, but one of the books was an 8.0ish copy of Adventure #267, the second Legion appearance.

That Cap 39 was the first Timely I ever purchased, and probably the first time I'd ever seen a Schomburg cover. I had it for years, then either sold it or traded it in the 90s when I was going after Action Mile Highs.

It's amazing to see it again. If you ever upgrade, please let me know. I'd be happy to take it off your hands at whatever price you think is fair.

You blew me away. I'm actually verklempt over a comic book! :cloud9:

Wow, Jeff! It is amazing how much of an impression that first golden age book makes. Billy Parker has the first Timely I ever bought, a Marvel Mystery 72 (got it from Tanner Miles for $25 in 1973). We have a deal that if he ever gets another copy, it is coming back home. I certainly will do the same with the Cap 39. Interestingly enough, the Larson Daring 5 was the first pedigree I ever got (back when we didn't know what a pedigree was). I had just met Burrel Rowe and he was showing me a bunch of golden age stuff. In the first stack of books that he showed me was the Daring 5. I had just finished reading Steranko's History of Comics and recognized the cover from the Timely article. I had to have it! But, at thirteen, it took a while to save up the $200. About a year and a half later it was mine! And the first thing I did (DISCLOSURE ALERT) was erase the name in the bottom of the "D"... :sorry:

I still don't care for Daring

Thank the LORD!! I have found a run of books that Rick won't scoop up in less than 5 days, leaving me in the dust!! :baiting:

If seeing Richard's DARING #5 didn't turn you on, nothing will!

didn't say I didn't like Richard's copy...it just does not inspire me to want to own it...a "blah" character? I don't know, since I have never gotten to read one...maybe that would change my mind... (shrug)

About a year and a half later it was mine! And the first thing I did (DISCLOSURE ALERT) was erase the name in the bottom of the "D"... :sorry:

Oh, you BUGGER!!!! :mad: I was wondering why there was no Larson markings on the book!

Wow, that book has been in the "family" for quite a while then. Cool story on how you got it. I think it was the Steranko book that turned me onto that cover too, and the George Oleshevsky (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) article on Overstreet #10 (I think) that really turned me on to Timely's! It had a great cover gallery, and then lots of nice interior shots of splash pages. (wish I that Overstreet wasn't in storage).

I still don't care for Daring

Thank the LORD!! I have found a run of books that Rick won't scoop up in less than 5 days, leaving me in the dust!! :baiting:

If seeing Richard's DARING #5 didn't turn you on, nothing will!

didn't say I didn't like Richard's copy...it just does not inspire me to want to own it...a "blah" character? I don't know, since I have never gotten to read one...maybe that would change my mind... (shrug)

I didn't think it was a knock at Richard's copy at all ... I was just implying that if that cover didn't get you , with its bright colors, then you probably won't be converting to DARINGs anytime soon!

Definitely an inconsistent series, with obscure characters, and varying qualities of artwork.

cap39.jpg

Richard, I used to own that book. That exact copy! I got it from Dave Smith of Fantasy Illustrated 20+ years ago. I walked into his shop in Garden Grove, saw that book in his glass case, and immediately had to have it. I didn't have any extra cash at the time, so we worked out a trade. I gave him a stack of stuff, can't remember what exactly, but one of the books was an 8.0ish copy of Adventure #267, the second Legion appearance.

That Cap 39 was the first Timely I ever purchased, and probably the first time I'd ever seen a Schomburg cover. I had it for years, then either sold it or traded it in the 90s when I was going after Action Mile Highs.

It's amazing to see it again. If you ever upgrade, please let me know. I'd be happy to take it off your hands at whatever price you think is fair.

Wow, Jeff! It is amazing how much of an impression that first golden age book makes. Billy Parker has the first Timely I ever bought, a Marvel Mystery 72 (got it from Tanner Miles for $25 in 1973). We have a deal that if he ever gets another copy, it is coming back home. I certainly will do the same with the Cap 39. Interestingly enough, the Larson Daring 5 was the first pedigree I ever got (back when we didn't know what a pedigree was). I had just met Burrel Rowe and he was showing me a bunch of golden age stuff. In the first stack of books that he showed me was the Daring 5. I had just finished reading Steranko's History of Comics and recognized the cover from the Timely article. I had to have it! But, at thirteen, it took a while to save up the $200. About a year and a half later it was mine! And the first thing I did (DISCLOSURE ALERT) was erase the name in the bottom of the "D"... :sorry:

lol Who needs that pesky Larson on the cover? My first pedigree was the Church Action #33. :cloud9: Wish I still had that puppy. doh!

I'm happy to see my Cap 39 in good hands(yes, I consider all the books I used to own as still mine!). At least now I have a great scan of it. (thumbs u

cap39.jpg

Undo the deed. Write it back onto the cover. :gossip:

cap39.jpg

:signfunny:

cap39.jpg

Restoration is not funny. :sumo:

cap39.jpg

:whatev:

Paid in Full! Its all mine, I tell you all mine!

HumanTorch12fc.jpgHumanTorch12back.jpgHumanTorch12front.jpg

Should be here in my hands next week.... :banana:

congrats, I just love restored books :baiting:

j/k, I am jealous

Edited by Detective27Kid

cap39.jpg

True enough. But defacing high grade comics is. (thumbs u

NICE book Mr. S!!

Thank you Ryan, I am very pleased!!! I missed having a HT 12 in my collection, even if it was only 3-4 months! And going from a 7.0 SA to CGC 8.5 Blue 2nd highest copy is nice as well.

Paul

Glad it's finally coming home Paul :grin: The 12 and 8 are the besst covers in the Torch run in my opinion :headbang:

About a year and a half later it was mine! And the first thing I did (DISCLOSURE ALERT) was erase the name in the bottom of the "D"... :sorry:

Oh, you BUGGER!!!! :mad: I was wondering why there was no Larson markings on the book!

Wow, that book has been in the "family" for quite a while then. Cool story on how you got it. I think it was the Steranko book that turned me onto that cover too, and the George Oleshevsky (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) article on Overstreet #10 (I think) that really turned me on to Timely's! It had a great cover gallery, and then lots of nice interior shots of splash pages. (wish I that Overstreet wasn't in storage).

I have a copy of the Overstreet #10 you are seaking of Ryan, and, yes, if you don't collect Timelys or can't pony up premium $$, one should not read it! Great article! It will have you grooling for Torch/Subby battle issues. :insane: