• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,075 posts in this topic

All caught up on my favorite thread.

Congrats to Jim (cgcworld - or timelyworld!). Killer books.

Nice pick-up Roy...oh, and the Marvel 9 is pretty cool too.

Ponseti even scored a little Toro appearance while I was away. Attaboy Bill!

Here is a newbie...

cap3.jpg

Good Lord that's fresh!

I bought a Marvel Mystery #7, that pre-dates Toro.

Sorry to hear that Bill. That must have been been a huge disappointment for you.

I haven't the words to adequately describe my sorrow :cry:

Or is that emotion I'm feeling more like glee? :banana:

Gotta love Marvel's response to Robin...Robin is always in "corner-shock" and Bucky Toro is always hog-tied.

:gossip: and semi nude. I'll take corner shock anyday

:)

Edited by ciorac

To me the great Schomburg covers stop at #13

Blasphemy! # 14 is one of the greatest covers of the run! :sumo:

Blasphemy! # 15 is one of the greatest covers of the run also! :sumo:

West

Interestingly, I think #15 is the best Torch/Subby covers after Marvels 1-10 meh

Edited by Primetime

Here is a newbie...

cap3.jpg

Nice Cap Mr. B!

Here is a newbie...

cap3.jpg

Sweetness is to the war zone in high grade :applause:

To me the great Schomburg covers stop at #13

Blasphemy! # 14 is one of the greatest covers of the run! :sumo:

Blasphemy! # 15 is one of the greatest covers of the run also! :sumo:

West

Interestingly, I think #15 is the best Torch/Subby covers after Marvels 1-10 meh

Taste is personal...to me something changed about Schomburg after issue #13.

Not sure what...maybe it was Everett helping out that made Subby look different on issues 4, 9 and 10...and maybe his mood was a bit darker and he was less confident so he took his time on the Torch issues 5, 7, 11 and 13...and maybe everything was still fresh and new enough to inspire issues 3, 6 and 8 but after that to me he began to change.

The covers are still great...just not my cup of tea.

...to me something changed about Schomburg after issue #13.

Not sure what...maybe it was Everett helping out that made Subby look different on issues 4, 9 and 10...and maybe his mood was a bit darker and he was less confident so he took his time on the Torch issues 5, 7, 11 and 13...and maybe everything was still fresh and new enough to inspire issues 3, 6 and 8 but after that to me he began to change.

I think young Alex's voice started changing after 13, and he started to take an interest in the opposite sex.

There are definitely differences in Schomburg's style over the years so it's no surprise to me that some prefer one period (over another). I don't, however, see Everett's hand at all in the covers you mention, nor do I view them as artistically superior to the later issues. Some, like the 3 and 6 are a bit awkward in design, and the Subby on the 10 is built like fullback, though they all have the energy that he always invested in his art. I personally find something interesting in every period, though think I think his strongest work is probably in the some of the busy covers and as well as some of the airbrushes. Those busy covers are complex in design yet usually work in a way that is so much more effective than his imitators. I can't, in fact, think of a single "busy" cover by an imitator that I actually like.

#3 is definitely unorthadox from a design standpoint...and maybe that is the appeal it has...it's innocent in it's artistic appeal.

I only mentioned Everett becuase I have heard others mention it...mostly with #9...I don't see it either...

I can appreciate the later, busy covers...it's not that I can't appreciate them...it's just that it takes more effort for me to appreciate them...that's all.

R.

I bought a Marvel Mystery #7, that pre-dates Toro.

Sorry to hear that Bill. That must have been been a huge disappointment for you.

Thanks Richard

I don't think I have laughed that hard in a long time :roflmao:

#3 is definitely unorthadox from a design standpoint...and maybe that is the appeal it has...it's innocent in it's artistic appeal.

I only mentioned Everett becuase I have heard others mention it...mostly with #9...I don't see it either...

It's possible because we know he did a cover rough for Marvel Comics as well as collaborated with Burgos on interiors, but in those others cases there were clear elements of his artistic hand in the mix. Although he was a frequent cover artist prior to (e.g. Centaur) and post (e.g. Atlas) his term at Timely, I only recall him drawing one Timely superhero cover, Subby 32. If someone can point out another one, please do.

can appreciate the later, busy covers...it's not that I can't appreciate them...it's just that it takes more effort for me to appreciate them...that's all.

R.

I can see the sales slogan now: Marvel Mystery 2 - 13, for the aesthetically lazy collector. :baiting:

I don't think scans do justice to the "busy" covers, nor do they look impressive lumped en masse on a page in the Gerber guide. But, one at a time, in the flesh the best are very, very appealing. It was an astounding experience to see some of the gem's from Timely's (West) collection last year.

I think young Alex's voice started changing after 13, and he started to take an interest in the opposite sex.

Alex was female??? :o

Alex was female??? :o

lol

I can see the sales slogan now: Marvel Mystery 2 - 13, for the aesthetically lazy collector. :baiting:

I don't think scans do justice to the "busy" covers, nor do they look impressive lumped en masse on a page in the Gerber guide. But, one at a time, in the flesh the best are very, very appealing. It was an astounding experience to see some of the gem's from Timely's (West) collection last year.

...and here you have touched upon something that I've never heard anyone mention before. This obviously shows the shortcomings of appreciating art through a 2 dimensional lense. That's why I don't disregard them...it's a matter of personal taste and how you percieve them at the time you are introduced to them that impacts people.

It's like music...I will listen to and appreciate every type of music and aprpeciate it as a creation or an expression of someone's inner voice...from death metal to ionian chants from the middle ages..but I will pick and choose what I listen to in my spare time.

R.

It's possible because we know he did a cover rough for Marvel Comics as well as collaborated with Burgos on interiors, but in those others cases there were clear elements of his artistic hand in the mix. Although he was a frequent cover artist prior to (e.g. Centaur) and post (e.g. Atlas) his term at Timely, I only recall him drawing one Timely superhero cover, Subby 32. If someone can point out another one, please do.

can appreciate the later, busy covers...it's not that I can't appreciate them...it's just that it takes more effort for me to appreciate them...that's all.

R.

I prefer Schomburg's later covers myself (1943+)...many of the MM issues before issue 20 are cluttered up with that dumb sidebar and lots of text/ads/etc.,. Everett influence or not, his earlier covers are quite different from his later covers.

IMHO his best Timely covers are in the range of MM's 33-46, Caps 26-46, and the Nedor/Standard sci-fi airbrush covers. In looking at the "Best Schomburg" thread, that does seem to be the trend...All Select 1, Starting 49, Cap 37(?), etc.,. :cloud9: