• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,103 posts in this topic

Well ... I know this one has seen a few homes over the past several years. I'll see if I can't give it a nice home now. I've wanted this one for quite awhile.

AllSelect192FC.jpg

(thumbs u THE BEST Cap cover. Did you score that from Laterbauch?
:sumo: 2nd best cap cover :sumo:

How about best Sub-Mariner cover? (shrug)

West :insane:

Well ... I know this one has seen a few homes over the past several years. I'll see if I can't give it a nice home now. I've wanted this one for quite awhile.

AllSelect192FC.jpg

top 20 (shrug)

AllSelect192FC.jpg

:sumo:2nd best cap cover :sumo:

All Select 2? (shrug)

AllSelect192FC.jpg

All Select 2? (shrug)

yep, AS 1 and 2...Gator and me are flip/flop on this one...the 2 is cool though--big gun barrel blazing....the AS 1 character poses are just too cool by a tad. Edited by Primetime

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Marvel Mystery 9 hands down...that is the "Action 1" of Subby covers IMO

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Subby 32 is utlimate Subby cover, drawn by the man who created him. :sumo:

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Actually that would be Torch #8, which is actually the superior image on a lessor title :whistle:

Jim

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Marvel 9 is an Everett/Schomburg cover (thumbs u Edited by Primetime

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Actually that would be Torch #8, which is actually the superior image on a lessor title :whistle:

Jim

ah yes, but the Torch is drawn more imposing on that one. Subby is the main focus on Marvel 9..plus, I do love Torch 8 as it's more of an "in your face" cover, but I really hate that anti-flame gun Subby is holding..kind of lame when you have the strength to press 85 tons :P Edited by Primetime

AllSelect192FC.jpg

All Select 2? (shrug)

(thumbs u

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Marvel 9 is an Everett/Schomburg cover (thumbs u
GDC say Everett/Schomburg and AtlasTales say Schomburg all the way. I do see some Everett-ish elements but it would be very unusual for Schomburg to ink someone else's work -- I don't recall any other situation like that but perhaps someone here knows of one. In any event, the inking is so heavy that it is not my favorite Schomburg Subby as it, and the scene are a bit "stiff." For comparison here's the inside splash and a later 1960s b&w piece.

For Captain America or Torchy, I'll take Schomburg over Simon&Kirby or Burgos but with Subby it's always and only Everett.

MarvelMystery9.jpg

11_subby_everett.jpg

Classic fire vs water. :cloud9: Where is that sketch from?

It's pictured in Steranko's History of Comics.

For Captain America or Torchy, I'll take Schomburg over Simon&Kirby

I think Kirby's Captain America is one of the single greatest acchievements of the Golden Age. I guess that's what makes horse races.

Edited by KirbyJack

I think Kirby's Captain America is one of the single greatest acchievements of the Golden Age. I guess that's what makes horse races.

I'm going to have to agree with Adamstrange on this one. S&K Cap never really did much for me to be honest. :shy:

AllSelect192FC.jpg

GDC say Everett/Schomburg and AtlasTales say Schomburg all the way. I do see some Everett-ish elements but it would be very unusual for Schomburg to ink someone else's work -- I don't recall any other situation like that but perhaps someone here knows of one. In any event, the inking is so heavy that it is not my favorite Schomburg Subby as it, and the scene are a bit "stiff." For comparison here's the inside splash and a later 1960s b&w piece.

For Captain America or Torchy, I'll take Schomburg over Simon&Kirby or Burgos but with Subby it's always and only Everett.

MarvelMystery9.jpg

11_subby_everett.jpg

i was simply stating Marvel 9 as being the best Subby cover regardless of artist. Everett is by far the BEST Subby artist and Schomburg for Torch/Cap for sure.

AllSelect192FC.jpg

Gerber, Overstreet and CGC tend to differ on the cover artist for Marvel 9 as well...I believe Gerber credits Everett and Overstreet Schomburg...CGC states cover by Everett/Schomburg (pencils/inks).

I'm going to have to agree with Adamstrange on this one. S&K Cap never really did much for me to be honest. :shy:

yep, Schomburg is the Cap king for sure...He was doing so many covers in that time that he sometimes had others finish cover jobs...I am thinking covers like USA 6 and 7, although signed Schomburg on the cover, may not have been is work judging the way Cap is drawn (elongated face and body)...All Select 1/2 and Cap 33 show Cap in a true Schomburg pose/style IMO.. Edited by Primetime