• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,103 posts in this topic

That's not a Nedor. :rulez:

But it is pretty sweet!

I'm pretty thin on TImelys but have been busy scanning my GA books and ran across this one that I bought about a year ago. It had some color touch on the spine that I had Matt Nelson remove.

HumanTorch4001.jpg

I know I won this baby in May but I didn't actually have it in hand til 15 days ago when I picked it up at WWChicago. I haven't posted it yet, and I know I will NEVER purchase a book more historical or important, so I'm going to get as much mileage out of this book as I possibly can...

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

:o:o:o

I know I won this baby in May but I didn't actually have it in hand til 15 days ago when I picked it up at WWChicago. I haven't posted it yet, and I know I will NEVER purchase a book more historical or important, so I'm going to get as much mileage out of this book as I possibly can...

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

(worship)(worship)(worship)

What's the story behind this one? :popcorn:

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

Congratulations! That is my grail book. :applause:

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

A big congrats on that book Jim (worship)

It is the only big key superhero GA comic I've never owned. And in all probability, never will.

So, I'll enjoy yours vicariously :)

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

It is the only big key superhero GA comic I've never owned. And in all probability, never will.

:cool:

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

:cool:

I was going to post my old reader copies of Millie the Model and Nellie the Nurse but I guess I'll wait. Even my new Captain America issue can't compare to Marvel 1 in any condition. (worship)

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

(worship)

:applause:

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

Congratulations! That is my grail book. :applause:

ditto... one day... :cloud9:

What a great book to own... big congrats!! :applause:

cap1.jpg

I know I'm a bit late on this one...but wow! :o

I'm going to state the obvious, but Captain America Comics #1 is truly one of the greatest books in our hobby. I know the opinions amongst Timely fans tends to vary, but one could make a good argument for Cap #1 being the #1 Timely (or even Marvel) comic of all-time.

The fact that it features the first appearence of the Red Skull within the landmark first issue still amazes me to this day. It is unique like Batman #1 in that regard; only Cap #1 is also the first appearence of the title character too.

Your copy is solid, and I love the display of the front-cover...which might very well be the greatest comic cover of all-time in its own right.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to own such a legendary book.

...or perhaps now I can, just a little. hm

mine10.jpg

Nice frames!

:headbang:

Marvel1Chicago.jpg

Jim

(worship)(worship)(worship)

What's the story behind this one? :popcorn:

Well pulp publisher Martin Goodman after seeing the sales numbers Action Comics was garnering...j/k

If the question is about Chicago pedigrees, they were found by Joe Sarno. Famous Timely collector George Olshevsky built his collection around owning many Chicago Timelys, including this particular example of Marvel #1. He actually did the restoration of this book himself. The reason it is in "lesser" condition than other Chicagos is because the original owners kids played with the Marvel #1 because he didn't know what he really had. When Oleshevsky began selling his books off in 1988, he too graded it a Fine.

Jim

I got my first Human Torch book. :banana:

I thought if I ever buy a Human Torch, it should be an issue with a WW2 cover.

torch9.jpg

I can't ever get enough of that cover. A great battle scene and terrific Yellow sand! :headbang:

Fantastic Pick up! :applause:

Great place to start! Always loved the little Gen. Rommel flag on the tank! Apparently, he was a giant too! Yellow covers :cloud9:

Yes, the Gen. Rommel flag and his size are hilarious.

I didn't know that yellow covers are so popular. hm

Edited by Black Lantern

Great place to start! Always loved the little Gen. Rommel flag on the tank! Apparently, he was a giant too! Yellow covers :cloud9:

one of my favorite torch covers. i'm a big yellow timely fan, as well. congrats, sir.

one of my favorite torch covers. i'm a big yellow timely fan, as well. congrats, sir.

You're just plain yella

Yellow covers are faves for a lot of people!

(thumbs u

You're just plain yella

now that's downright mean.

Yellow covers are faves for a lot of people!

(thumbs u

here's my fave yellow subby.

subby7.jpg