• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

There were also the books stolen from his home by friends/acquaintances that I think helped turn him off collecting. In the end, his IRS problems caused him to have to liquidate nearly all his assets, although I'm not sure where he had already sold off his comics by then.

Noticed something interesting when they announced the "Superman Lives" documentary last year...

If you go back and look at the timeline, his collecting entry/exit actually corresponds pretty closely with him being cast as Superman and some years later the announcement that the movie had fallen through.

Though little doubt the theft was the most significant factor. Stephen's account of that situation from about a decade ago here on the boards is still one of my all-time favorite posts here.

The IRS stuff came much later.

I believe these are the posts?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1510074&fpart=1

Thanks for the link. I assume his Action 1 and Detective 27 haven't turned up.

The Action #1 turned up a few years ago as the first 9.0 (COW pages) and CC/Metro auctioned it off.

There were several discussions about the discovery, who owned the book (insurance or Cage) etc

I think the consensus was that Cage owned the book after discovery. Don't think the #27 or the missing MMC book ever turned up again.

I have the frame he built for the Action 1

Do you have a picture you could post? I've wondered what the frames looked like. hm

I'll snap one tonight and post it

I guess the big question is if you have the key for it that was famously kept out in the open where everybody knew where it was, (and if there wasn't a spare...) or did the thief take that with him. hm

If the key was left behind, perhaps a crime of opportunity during the recently-held party. If the thief kept the key, might imply it was passed off to him by an insider. hm

I guess the big question is if you have the key for it that was famously kept out in the open where everybody knew where it was, (and if there wasn't a spare...) or did the thief take that with him. hm

If the key was left behind, perhaps a crime of opportunity during the recently-held party. If the thief kept the key, might imply it was passed off to him by an insider. hm

Here is the frame. I don't have the key, but it is easily opened or locked with an allen wrench. The alarm wires and mechanism seem to still be intact.

It was designed for books in a fortress, but you can put a slab in it or a raw book, but they look best and most centered in a fortress

Cage%20frame_zps0fsqixsg.jpg

cage%20frame%20with%20book_zpsd3uwes9r.jpg

Here is the frame. I don't have the key, but it is easily opened or locked with an allen wrench. The alarm wires and mechanism seem to still be intact.

It was designed for books in a fortress, but you can put a slab in it or a raw book, but they look best and most centered in a fortress

Interesting. Do they prevent color fading if they were displayed on a place that got a lot of sunlight?

Interesting. Do they prevent color fading if they were displayed on a place that got a lot of sunlight?
Looks like its museum quality glass so...probably safe in sunlight? (shrug)

Thanks for posting the pictures!

There were also the books stolen from his home by friends/acquaintances that I think helped turn him off collecting. In the end, his IRS problems caused him to have to liquidate nearly all his assets, although I'm not sure where he had already sold off his comics by then.

Noticed something interesting when they announced the "Superman Lives" documentary last year...

If you go back and look at the timeline, his collecting entry/exit actually corresponds pretty closely with him being cast as Superman and some years later the announcement that the movie had fallen through.

Though little doubt the theft was the most significant factor. Stephen's account of that situation from about a decade ago here on the boards is still one of my all-time favorite posts here.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1510074&fpart=1

The Action #1 turned up a few years ago as the first 9.0 (COW pages) and CC/Metro auctioned it off.

There were several discussions about the discovery, who owned the book (insurance or Cage) etc

I think the consensus was that Cage owned the book after discovery. Don't think the #27 or the missing MMC book ever turned up again.

I have the same frame. How do you know yours was for the Action #1?

Mine came with a fortress BTW. :whistle:

f_885963.gif

The fortress went with the book when it sprouted legs :makepoint:

Frame was damaged as well during the heist

Not sure if they are UV safe glass or not. I'd love to display a book in it, but I'm worried about fading. I do have an old fortress though that I could use

The fortress went with the book when it sprouted legs :makepoint:

Frame was damaged as well during the heist

Not sure if they are UV safe glass or not. I'd love to display a book in it, but I'm worried about fading. I do have an old fortress though that I could use

Take it to a framing shop; they could tell you if its museum glass. It looks like it is from the pictures because there is almost no light reflection.

Now that's a neat piece of comic collecting history!

I think I used to know that. I'll probably ask the question again in a few months. :D

The other thread seems to indicate that a boardie eventually ended up with the MMC book.