• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

A recent upgrade...

mm20.jpg

Great book! At one time, wasn't that thought not to be a Schomburg cover? hm

Chunks of the art look very much like Everett to me.

A recent upgrade...

mm20.jpg

Chunks of the art look very much like Everett to me.

Sweet copy :applause:

It looks like a combination of Everett & Schomburg.

haven't posted in awhile, here's a recent upgrade

MM%2022%20cgc%207.5_zpschbacbig.jpeg

Great book! :cloud9:Never noticed the blood in the water before. :(

Yep, it's there! (thumbs u

Had to recheck my raw copy though.

I thought it might've been caused by paper cuts from graders trying to meet tight turn around times. lol

80be7130-36e3-4511-997c-61915fb22391_zps8fe592b9.jpg

"Raw" :cloud9:

Have you read it? :wishluck:

Read! :o Ain't yuh s'posed ta lookit all duh purty pitchers? :baiting:

A recent upgrade...

mm20.jpg

(thumbs u:headbang: Awesome! (worship)

The label still indicates it. :gossip:

Sweet copy :applause:

It looks like a combination of Everett & Schomburg.

Very sweet indeed. To my eyes it looks more Schomburgian than Everett-like. searching-019.gif

A recent upgrade...

mm20.jpg

(thumbs u:headbang: Awesome! (worship)

The label still indicates it. :gossip:

I think you missed my "not."

I worded the statement confusingly. :sorry:

What I meant was, at one time Schomburg was not given credit for that cover, although now he is, at least by CGC. It certainly seems dramatically different from his later--more cartoony--Timely covers. It does look more like Everrett to me. hm

Just got these

Congratulations! :applause:

I see my old Daring #10 in there; it was a tough decision to trade that one away.

Glad to see it made it into the hands of the right collector. (thumbs u

Hope you traded it for something good????

Just got these

I see my old Daring #10 in there; it was a tough decision to trade that one away.

As I recall, this upgrade was my acquisition in the deal... :cloud9:

9d283def-a306-4c8d-9e4e-7e29fa8b6cdb_zps2ae44d89.jpg

And trading my old copy of Daring #7 was part of the deal...

37b21dd7-57e0-49d8-86e3-8aabf8f7025b_zps8e567f05.jpg

Just got these

If I recall correctly, this upgrade was my acquisition in the deal... :cloud9:

9d283def-a306-4c8d-9e4e-7e29fa8b6cdb_zps2ae44d89.jpg

And my old copy of Daring #7 was part of that trade/cash deal...

37b21dd7-57e0-49d8-86e3-8aabf8f7025b_zps8e567f05.jpg

Congrats.....I love that book... I had a distant memory of that cover from when I was a kid, from the Steranko History of the comics... just a great cover IMO, I went for the 9.6 from a Heritage sale a while back...

159933.jpg.1de8948730d5133fd7de26dbf7044a5e.jpg

Edited by sartre

(thumbs u That's an exceptional copy alright. I haven't checked the census lately, but unless the (ungraded?) Church copy is newsstand mint, I doubt a nicer copy than these will ever pop-up.

Steranko's two volume History is what nurtured my fascination with GA. I remember Daring Mystery 7 and Human Torch 5 vividly.

DM 7 is a Schomburg cover even though lacking the CGC label attribution. A full page color reproduction is included on page 40 of the Schomburg soft cover retrospective Chroma published in the mid-80's.

-Cat

Z

on page 40 of the Schomburg soft cover retrospective Chroma published in the mid-80's.

A full page color reproduction is included on page 40 of the Schomburg soft cover retrospective Chroma published in the mid-80's.

-Cat

Is Chroma the best/only Schomburg book out there?

(thumbs u That's an exceptional copy alright. I haven't checked the census lately, but unless the (ungraded?) Church copy is newsstand mint, I doubt a nicer copy than these will ever pop-up.

Steranko's two volume History is what nurtured my fascination with GA. I remember Daring Mystery 7 and Human Torch 5 vividly.

DM 7 is a Schomburg cover even though lacking the CGC label attribution. A full page color reproduction is included on page 40 of the Schomburg soft cover retrospective Chroma published in the mid-80's.

-Cat

Thanks for the info... I didn't know it was Schomburg, guess there was a good reason why I've likes that cover so much....

Z

on page 40 of the Schomburg soft cover retrospective Chroma published in the mid-80's.

A full page color reproduction is included on page 40 of the Schomburg soft cover retrospective Chroma published in the mid-80's.

-Cat

Is Chroma the best/only Schomburg book out there?

There are other books featuring Alex's work, but this official biography is one of the best, if not the best. Chroma includes a nice cross section of his art including color prelims submitted to Hugo Gernsback's Amazing Stories in the 20's, his breakout career as a prolific cover artist for Timely, Nedor, Harvey, et. al., along with his later 50's/60's SF digest covers, HC dust jackets and interior illustrations. Here's the Amazon link...

http://www.amazon.com/Chroma-Alex-Schomburg-Jon-Gustafson/dp/0936861002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452231725&sr=8-1&keywords=chroma+alex+schomburg

A limited edition, signed & numbered HC version of Chroma was also published, but good luck finding one in decent condition for sale. There aren't many Amazon reviews because this was published and OOP long before Amazon existed. If you don't already own a copy it's certainly worth snapping up the paperback; consider that a strong recommendation (two thumbs up). (thumbs u(thumbs u