• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,024 posts in this topic

Daring #9 is tough! I mistakenly sold mine a few years ago, along with the D copy #11, thinking I would never get a #10. Now I have a #10 and I've replaced the #11 but I cannot find a #9! (shrug)

So goes the life of an impatient Timely completest. :D

I know what you mean... before CGC it was more difficult to determine the scarcity of some books. I regretted selling those as well... I need the 11 now..

Daring #9 is tough! I mistakenly sold mine a few years ago, along with the D copy #11, thinking I would never get a #10. Now I have a #10 and I've replaced the #11 but I cannot find a #9! (shrug)

I know what you mean... before CGC it was more difficult to determine the scarcity of some books. I regretted selling those as well... I need the 11 now..

PreCGC I used the Metro site to gauge rarity. Didn't really work because Metro's weight kinda warps reality. At one point they had two USA #6 listed on their site and I passed them both by thinking, "How rare can they be?" :roflmao::cry:

Now I have a rule that I do not sell a Timely unless I have an upgrade in hand.

Look what came in the mail today. So stoked, I have wanted a copy of this forever.

commystic2_zpspif68rsd.jpg

Great copy! Definitely in my Top 5 covers list. Here's mine.

Mystic_vol2_2_cgc_front_zps82a4baff.jpg

Beauties! That'n is on my Timley Toppers list as well! :insane:

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

There's also a 9.4 copy lurking out there somewhere... searching-019.gif

BREAKING NEWS :headbang:

While respecting Syd Shore's achievements, here's a recent Forbes article on Jack Kirby that forum member John R posted in General (worth reading)...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9119665#Post9119665

...and the original Forbes link:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2016/01/18/marvel-universe-co-creator-jack-kirby-is-having-a-moment/#41e452e435a5

In honor of the Jack Kirby's heir's overcoming the long legal odds to obtain a settlement & recognition of his legacy here's my modest tribute... :shy:

c30a88b5-8431-4d3f-8db6-e9799833a689_zpse0c19efc.jpg1aa09d8b-aec0-402d-a299-e924f827c14e_zpsb393810a.jpg

14f2814e-1836-4f48-a678-1213a84cce87_zpscttheqdk.jpgd8f8723a-72e3-4aa8-946d-25be9997c2ae_zpsf9822292.jpg

Cheers! smiley-eatdrink003.gif

BREAKING NEWS :headbang:

While respecting Syd Shore's achievements, here's a recent Forbes article on Jack Kirby that forum member John R posted in General (worth reading)...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9119665#Post9119665

...and the original Forbes link:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2016/01/18/marvel-universe-co-creator-jack-kirby-is-having-a-moment/#41e452e435a5

In honor of the Jack Kirby's heir's overcoming the long legal odds to obtain a settlement & recognition of his legacy here's my modest tribute... :shy:

c30a88b5-8431-4d3f-8db6-e9799833a689_zpse0c19efc.jpg1aa09d8b-aec0-402d-a299-e924f827c14e_zpsb393810a.jpg

14f2814e-1836-4f48-a678-1213a84cce87_zpscttheqdk.jpgd8f8723a-72e3-4aa8-946d-25be9997c2ae_zpsf9822292.jpg

Cheers! smiley-eatdrink003.gif

Awesome stuff Cat!!!!! I mean AWESOME STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

PreCGC I used the Metro site to gauge rarity. Didn't really work because Metro's weight kinda warps reality. At one point they had two USA #6 listed on their site and I passed them both by thinking, "How rare can they be?" :roflmao::cry:

I know what you mean... but sometimes sacrifices are made... Yes USA 6 is one I'm looking for as well, I was out bid on a restored copy at an extravagant price and I never buy restored...It's way harder than issue 11 which has the reputation for hard...CGC and the internet give clarity to rarity, and we collectors do not have to rely on anyone else to tell us anymore... we just know

I know what you mean... but sometimes sacrifices are made... Yes USA 6 is one I'm looking for as well, I was out bid on a restored copy at an extravagant price and I never buy restored...It's way harder than issue 11 which has the reputation for hard...CGC and the internet give clarity to rarity, and we collectors do not have to rely on anyone else to tell us anymore... we just know

the 8 is tougher then both of them.

Look what came in the mail today. So stoked, I have wanted a copy of this forever.

commystic2_zpspif68rsd.jpg

Great copy! Definitely in my Top 5 covers list. Here's mine.

Mystic_vol2_2_cgc_front_zps82a4baff.jpg

Beauties! That'n is on my Timley Toppers list as well! :insane:

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

There's also a 9.4 copy lurking out there somewhere... searching-019.gif

Those are all lovely copies of a great looking cover. I'm going to have to break out the Gerbers and drool over those old Timely's... (thumbs u

Yeah, I know. I had two #8s pass through my hands in one year. The highest grade was a 4.0 and, again, I thought, "How rare could it be?" I'll sell these and wait for an upgrade. :cry: Edited by Badger

Yeah, I know. I had two #8s pass through my hands in one year. The highest grade was a 4.0 and, again, I thought, "How rare could it be?" I'll sell these and wait for an upgrade. :cry:

Actually issue 14 IMO is the toughest USA especially in grade, I would put the 6 and 8 on par...

Yeah, I know. I had two #8s pass through my hands in one year. The highest grade was a 4.0 and, again, I thought, "How rare could it be?" I'll sell these and wait for an upgrade. :cry:

Actually issue 14 IMO is the toughest USA especially in grade, I would put the 6 and 8 on par...

interesting. In 22 years, I've seen more 6s than 8s pass by. They are all tough.

I completely agree - just don't see Kirby in the Cap 8 cover at all. (shrug)

I was talking about USA 8 Steve. Cap 8 is a schomburg cover

He was responding to my post about Cap 8, which is definitely not Schomburg.

I completely agree - just don't see Kirby in the Cap 8 cover at all. (shrug)

I was talking about USA 8 Steve. Cap 8 is a schomburg cover

Naw, Cap 8 isn't Schomburg, but someone other than Kirby might've inked the pencils. CGC doesn't always get the info straight because there's a lot of missing or conflicting historical information and most early covers weren't signed. When the cover is signed that suggests both pencils & inks were by the artist.

Heck, I'll post a few more Kirby Cap covers (some may have been inked by Syd Shores) just to make sure Jack gets credited here too! lol

CA6-1A_zpsc275a8a4.jpgCA7-1A_zps120a2bfc.jpg

c4d77267-3c58-40eb-b901-5502daef19df_zps0d6134ee.jpg3f5d1e45-fc06-41cd-a0df-885d5cad1422_zpsmw7r0a82.jpg

And just to be sure Jack's credit for work is properly shielded, here's an unsigned non-Timely (my bad if it breaches any thread etty-kit)... ;)

62674faa-89f4-47b8-8588-8393d131b30e_zps625ffad4.jpg