• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTING SHIFT SALE

15 posts in this topic

So, I just had this conversation with a fellow collector and friend at a recent comic show in Toronto. Two things happen after a convention, it either inspires you in the hobby, or it makes you really dislike the hobby. This show made me feel the latter. Either way, it usually causes one to shift focus on collecting (TCAF is coming up and usually inspires)... so I am shifting out of covers. I am keeping a couple for nostalgia reasons, but otherwise I am selling off a few covers...along with some sketches... There are prices listed for all of the pieces. many are priced less than what I paid... that's what happens when these shows make you just want to get rid of your stuff... Here is the link

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=50226

Thanks for looking and contact me with any interest

I haven't collected sketches in awhile because of the sketch hounds who line up and get friends to line up and then get all of these sketches and I see them ALL on ebay the next week. We live in a capitalist society, so there's is nothing "wrong" with it, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth...and so the last time this happened, I stopped collecting sketches.

And I can't say anything specific happened to put me "off" covers or anything, and I still have covers, but I realize the pieces I enjoy most in my gallery, are actually the really cool story pages...whether it's the First Batgirl appearance, or the First Herobear, or my Animal man page, or my Twelve Splash...I find I love those more...and they usually cost less. Don't get me wrong, I feel covers are beautiful images and there are some I will always want, because they drew me in and the image alone is nostalgia... but in terms or actually READING the comics and falling in love with stories... it was always certain interior pages that burn into my head. Jon, you work in the movie business... I love a good movie poster. It draws me in. The best one's tell the story on the poster or are beautiful images and design that catch my attention.... but for a movie I really LOVE... It's the story...a scene...a line...a moment... and being in the business myself, I have to remind myself that it's the same thing in comics and those things inspire the stories I want to tell. Jeff Lemire's books and art reminded of me of that...even though I just bought a cover from him last weekend. So there is my long cheesy answer... but don't get me wrong, if someone wants to sell me the Dark Knight Returns #1 cover or that great Killing Joke prelim cover on CAF... I'll gladly take it. But also...and Jon, you know this as we share the love for the same pages in KJ... the best pages??? The telling of the joke in the end. I'll take those over the fight scenes any day... we share a common love for those things. Anyway, there is my overly longwinded sappy story for the switch...

I know how you feel Eric, it's why I didn't pull the trigger on your LH back cover. But, I couldn't resist that other Vertigo piece.

The Pope is a tough one. That's probably the only piece in that mix that I would really miss....but I do have another Pope on the way so it makes it a little easier... But yeah, love the Pope...and his mainstream stuff is not easy to find.

As for the Sun Devils...that thing is priced to move. It is priced at 20% less than I paid for it. That transaction left a bad taste in my mouth so I just want it gone... I'm taking a hit on that one...and it is a nice cover...

So, I just had this conversation with a fellow collector and friend at a recent comic show in Toronto. Two things happen after a convention, it either inspires you in the hobby, or it makes you really dislike the hobby. This show made me feel the latter. Either way, it usually causes one to shift focus on collecting (TCAF is coming up and usually inspires)... so I am shifting out of covers. I am keeping a couple for nostalgia reasons, but otherwise I am selling off a few covers...along with some sketches... There are prices listed for all of the pieces. many are priced less than what I paid... that's what happens when these shows make you just want to get rid of your stuff... Here is the link

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=50226

Thanks for looking and contact me with any interest

Hey, :takeit: that Andy MacDonald sketch for my son's collection.

Best,

Chris

Oh and if anyone else wants to use the "I'll take it" thingy, please feel free. So far, I have been contacted by PM's or through CAF, but anyway is fine by me...

So far the X-Force prelim and Andy Spider-man are gone... with interest in 5 others. I'll update my CAF when I finalize the details with the prospective buyers... Remember, send me a check or MO and I'll SHIP FOR FREE!!!

I'm sorry to hear that our show made you dislike the hobby Duane. I've been feeling pretty blah about the hobby after doing back-to-back convention weekends, but I didn't think things were too bad that day, and people seemed to be in a good mood. I was pretty happy with the pieces I got from Doug and Jon. I didn't really get anything else though, aside from some pieces from Marcio Takara.

Oh Kevin, it's not your fault. It's never your fault. You're the best. One of the good one's out there. I love hearing about your pick ups and talking to you about OA... and like I said, I picked up two great Jeff Lemire pieces, and got to talk to Doug and Jon. That was great... I just need to shift focus once and awhile... and I just love TCAF. Something about that show and it being dealer free is really nice and I know I am going to be floored by some of the art there and I need some money for it... But believe me, I think that Toronto show has improved greatly since you joined the team... and I LOVED those three day Paradise shows you were a part of. Creator wise and access to creator wise, they were some of the best. To sit and chat with Bendis for almost an entire weekend and hang out with him and talk movies and writing was amazing. I'm rambling...

Good stuff Keith. Thanks, and good luck with your stuff. It's priced right, that's for sure. If I had the cash we'd be talking about that Kunkel... and even the Powell.