• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY DISASTER REPORT

21 posts in this topic

I get up this morning pumped up to get that Green Lantern Blackest night book from the "local" comic in Brooklyn (I live in Queens). My young niece and nephew came all the way from Philly to visit.

They get pumped up to come along with me so I go to Brooklyn to pick them up. To make a long story short, as we get ready to go...I get a cal from wife tell me...

they just broke into my truck!

:censored:

In broad daylight! A bunch of guys hanging around and NO ONE saw a damn thing!!! The No Snitchin' rule still applies in tha hood, I guess. I rush to the nearest Auto Glass spot. Get it done $120, 1:30 hrs later, I figure whats the point of being mad for the rest of the night. I shoot over to the LCS at 7PM and what's free books are left?

Cars and DC Kids. No Green Lantern. Also for my troubles, the LCS owner gives me a nice detailed synopsis of the days festivities. On any other day would have made nice conversation. But today, I thought to myself as she kept talking...

SHUT THE *spoon* UP!

But I quickly cleared my head of such horrible thoughts. Thanked her for my copies of Cars and DC Kids (which I will give my niece and nephew on their next joyful trip to NY). I really feel the worst for them cause they woulda had a great time at FCBD, but unfortunately it was ruin by some vandal who wants to ruin my day because they got nothing better to do in life.

Life's funny becuase they were more concerned about me being so upset about what happened to my truck.

So if anyone has a spare, beat-up, creased GL Blackest night book, let me know. I'm willing to fork over a $3.99 + shipping for it.

Thanks.

I took my three daughters to the LCS to pick up some free comics. The store also had a 50 cent bin that I pulled some issues from. I put them beside a box, then moved on to another long box to look through. I then watch a kid pick up the 10 or so books I put aside and he proceeds to add them to his pile. They were Conan Canadian price variants. Instead of "picking a fight" with a child and in front of my kids... I let it slide.

All in all, it was pretty good, my 4 year old got a Cars comic and my 6 year old got a comic with an owl on it. My 11 month old had trouble picking a book...

I ended up buying nothing. I guess it was fun. Stupid Canucks lost tonight though...

Karma has a funny way of working its way back...I'm glad no one was hurt (physically) and life has a way of settling accounts, so I'm sure these fellas or whomever is responsible will get theirs.

My LCS had a ton of free books, but limited you to only 4 per person. But they had a huge sale on all comics in the store. Anything that was priced from $.01 to $4.00 was only $.50. Whether it was from the 60's or from 2 weeks ago. Anything that was priced between $4.01 and $8.00 was only $2.00. Anything priced $8.01 to $14.99 was just $3.00 anything above that was half price. Trades were either 40% off up to 75% off. Supplies were only 25% off. So for a free day I spent a lot of money.

If anyone wants to send me a copy of the Love and Rockets book, I'd me most happy.

My great FCBD story is finding a long run of nice Giffen LSHs in my LCS's 50 cent boxes. That's lots of great reading.

Speaking of A-Holes that break into cars, here's my story...

When I was living in Savannah, GA, I got a phone call one night from my mom that my dad was going in for an emergency bypass the next day. I immediately started packing, and hauling stuff out to my car which was parked at the curb, and putting it in the back seat. I didn't know how long I'd be staying, so it took several trips to pack what I'd need. Since I'm a guy, that meant about 5 minutes between each trip, as I wasn't worried about actually folding stuff. :P On the fourth trip, I noticed glass on the passenger seat, and thought, 'WTF'. Looked up, and the passenger window was broken out. Looked at my radio, and saw that some deviant had yanked it out. Knowing whoever did it still had to be within earshot, I yelled "THE DOORS WERE UNLOCKED YOU F***ING DIPSH**".

So, I got to drive seven hours in the middle of the night with no radio, and a garbage bag flapping in the hole where my window used to be. In January.

Anything that was priced from $.01 to $4.00 was only $.50.

How upset were you when you placed your giant stack of penny books on the counter by the register, only to be told of the 50x markup on FCBD - Seems a sucky thing for a comic shop to do....

Wow, we had a terrific FCBD, sorry it was bad for you. I gave away more books and sold more stuff than in a long time. It was great to have the store busy all day long. It helped that my 18 year old daughter took her CHICKEN suit to the curb to get cars in. It was great and will post a video hopefully soon.

Lot of losers out there. I wish we'd lessen the penalty for pot and increase it for property crimes/theft.

they were probably stealing stuff to buy pot.

Goddamn hippies! :mad:

Speaking of A-Holes that break into cars, here's my story...

When I was living in Savannah, GA, I got a phone call one night from my mom that my dad was going in for an emergency bypass the next day. I immediately started packing, and hauling stuff out to my car which was parked at the curb, and putting it in the back seat. I didn't know how long I'd be staying, so it took several trips to pack what I'd need. Since I'm a guy, that meant about 5 minutes between each trip, as I wasn't worried about actually folding stuff. :P On the fourth trip, I noticed glass on the passenger seat, and thought, 'WTF'. Looked up, and the passenger window was broken out. Looked at my radio, and saw that some deviant had yanked it out. Knowing whoever did it still had to be within earshot, I yelled "THE DOORS WERE UNLOCKED YOU F***ING DIPSH**".

So, I got to drive seven hours in the middle of the night with no radio, and a garbage bag flapping in the hole where my window used to be. In January.

*spoon*! Ive had that happen to me like 2 other times!! Thats when I used to have my beater cars with the detachable radio. Crackhe*ads broke my damn window and yanked it out so hard once that they almost ripped out the dash!

I hope things are well with your dad though.

On another note, I'd like to thank all the boardies for all their kind words and generousity!

(worship)