• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slightly OT: What killed the stamp-collecting hobby?

143 posts in this topic

On my days when the glass is half empty I often wonder about the long-term future of our hobby. Will there be anyone around to buy my collection, should I sell in 30 years? Will anyone care? Cue tiny violin, etc.

But seriously, can we learn anything from the rise/collapse/rebirth of other collectible hobbies? For example, did slabbing "save" the comic and coin markets? Did speculation really put the final nail into the coffin of sports card collecting? What about marbles? Movie posters? Postcards? And so on.

And then I got to thinking, what about stamps? Obviously, supply has way exceeded demand, but how exactly did that happen? An aging/dying collector base? A product that became irrelevant in the digital age? The introduction of eBay, which essentially flooded the market and drove down prices to nothing?

Was it a quick death, or is it still being prolonged? And most importantly, are there any paralels to our own hobby?

On my days when the glass is half empty I often wonder about the long-term future of our hobby. Will there be anyone around to buy my collection, should I sell in 30 years? Will anyone care? Cue tiny violin, etc.

But seriously, can we learn anything from the rise/collapse/rebirth of other collectible hobbies? For example, did slabbing "save" the comic and coin markets? Did speculation really put the final nail into the coffin of sports card collecting? What about marbles? Movie posters? Postcards? And so on.

And then I got to thinking, what about stamps? Obviously, supply has way exceeded demand, but how exactly did that happen? An aging/dying collector base? A product that became irrelevant in the digital age? The introduction of eBay, which essentially flooded the market and drove down prices to nothing?

Was it a quick death, or is it still being prolonged? And most importantly, are there any paralels to our own hobby?

Generally, the health of a hobby is directly related to current trends. Very few people are buying stamps. Most mail is electronically transmitted and the majority of letters that actually make it to the PO are bulk mail or metered mail. I would suspect local stamp shows are mostly grey beards.

Out of sight, out of favor.

I think there is reason to worry about comics as a collectible. I'm not sure how to factor in the blockbuster comic movies that keep our favorite characters in public view. For me, the question is, how many people that see a great comic book movie will start buying new comics off the stands or back issue comics?

Nostalgia is the key.

Like everyone in the 70's/80's, i collected stamps when i was young.

Do i have an interest in stamps now ?

Of course, no.

I had more good times and memories with my comics. :cloud9:

I collected US commemorative stamps in the 70s too. Can't really read a stamp but I still do enjoy the intricate engraving. Actually bought some Hitler related stamps in 2007 as an adjunct to WW II comics and swastika cover collection. Stamps and hockey cards from the 70s seem very cheap now. :devil:

Are stamps really dead or are they merely on hiatus. The classic stamps pre 1900 are not plentiful and the collectors know this. The hobby is old enough that there are no great surprises to be found to excite the imagination of the public or the novice. Also, schools do not have time for hobby related clubs like they used to. There is hope though.... The Simpson stamps are coming!!!! D'oh!

how many people that see a great comic book movie will start buying new comics off the stands or back issue comics?

And of those people, how many of them are going to have the means or desire to purchase those back issues at prices that will keep the market afloat?

I've said it many times; comics won't disappear as a collectible within our lifetimes, but you really have to question the long term viability of the high end segment of the hobby. We're not just talking about a few rare keys here; there are thousands and thousands of books that sell for thousands and thousands of dollars, thanks to a wealthy generation that's currently enjoying the spoils that come with attaining their peak earning potential.

There are collectors who own multiple copies of some of the highest grade SA and BA books, and I wonder to what extent the market relies on those few collectors holding the very best. My guess is someone like Tom Brulato could sink the market by selling his collection, even in its current "healthy" state. When it comes time for the current BSDs to pass the torch, is there going to be anyone there able to carry it?

Generally, the health of a hobby is directly related to current trends. Very few people are buying stamps. Most mail is electronically transmitted and the majority of letters that actually make it to the PO are bulk mail or metered mail. I would suspect local stamp shows are mostly grey beards.

Out of sight, out of favor.

I think there is reason to worry about comics as a collectible. I'm not sure how to factor in the blockbuster comic movies that keep our favorite characters in public view. For me, the question is, how many people that see a great comic book movie will start buying new comics off the stands or back issue comics?

Your question was answered last year when Dark Knight did 1 billion at box office and modern comic sales of Batman were less then 50,000 monthly.

People went to the Batman movie in droves but it had no effect on comic sales.

My theory on the decline of stamp collecting, (and to a greater extent, postcards, and to a lesser extent, coins) is this.

Before long-distant travel became commonplace, these were relatively easy and inexpensive ways to vicariously "touch" distant areas of the earth. With the advent of affordable air travel for the masses, not to mention television, one needn't travel vicariously to other places through collecting stamps, postcards and coins that originate from there. One could simply turn on the TV or hop on a jet.

My theory on the decline of stamp collecting, (and to a greater extent, postcards, and to a lesser extent, coins) is this.

Before long-distant travel became commonplace, these were relatively easy and inexpensive ways to vicariously "touch" distant areas of the earth. With the advent of affordable air travel for the masses, not to mention television, one needn't travel vicariously to other places through collecting stamps, postcards and coins that originate from there. One could simply turn on the TV or hop on a jet.

very insightful!

Coin collecting was saved in the modern era by one thing, and one thing only: the 50 state quarter program. For the first time in decades, the designs on ordinary pocket change was DIFFERENT, and it inspired a whole new slew of people to collect coins again. Reading a trade journal from 1997 is like reading a 1973 OPG...."gosh, I wish I could buy at those prices."

Comics were saved by the Direct Market in the 1970's, and destroyed by it in the late 90's/early 2000's. Comics need to be where the public IS to sell. The public does not go into "comic specialty stores" anymore. Comics need to be where the public can run into them on a regular basis, and that's just not happening anymore.

As well, as is heard over and over again, the entertainment value is not there. Why would anyone pay $3-$4 for 10 minutes worth of 20 pages of mostly pin-up pages when they can spend $6-$12 on a movie that will last at least 1.5 hours? Combine that with the utter drek that's being published, and one doesn't wonder why comics don't sell.

You all make great points.

People collect for the romance and the nostalgia that an object represents. There has to be an emotional attachment for someone to want to collect something that is not practical. The feeling needs to outweigh the cost.

With each passing generation the idea of information processing becomes quicker and quicker. The examples of travel and television making the world seem smaller takes away from how grand the idea of snail mail used to be. This in turn has diminished how important an accomplishment mail service actually is.

We have become so accustomed to instant gratification that snail mail and reading are considered a waste of time unless absolutely necessary. It's much easier to fire an email, a fax something or post it up on twitter than write a letter and mail it out. Heck, just post a picture so someone doesn't even have to write anything.

I mean, I'm sure that if the general public could by pass reading something altogether and just process info in a 'mental download' format they would opt for the much easier and much more efficient download.

It takes time, and money, and effort and patience to collect something.

Why would someone possibly invest all that energy into something if they had no attachment to it?

I think stamps are beautiful. My son collects and if I had the time and money I would too.

I have a soft spot for old, grand things but as with most life is too busy and too fast to slow down and enjoy all those old things.

If you read the reports, the Collectible Stamp Market has never been better... (similar to the reports about comic books.)

Both hobbies seem to be following similar trajectories...

In this modern age, when almost everything seems attainable, some may say that most of the mystery and romance that life has to offer has been lost. Perhaps.

I like to think that the mystery and romance that life has to offer has evolved to a higher level. By "higher level" I mean more advanced: more deeper, intricate and meaningful.

There is still plenty of mystery and romance in life.

TV, jet airplanes, the internet and wireless communication are all just stepping-stones to the mystery and romance of the seemingly unattainable.

I've resigned myself to the eventual inevitable decline and disapearance of my hobby within 30 years, and thus, am only planning on pouring another 10,000.00 into it (roughly) over the next five to ten years, or, what I would spend on just about any hobby of any length of time, in order to have fun.

That way, when I hold onto my collection, I won't feel the guilt of having kept it while the industry died around me.

I can't sell my books. And I can't consider pouring more than finishing Avengers, FF, and buying a handfull of keys into it, so there I am.

then, Duck books will lead me home.

let us pray.

how many people that see a great comic book movie will start buying new comics off the stands or back issue comics?

And of those people, how many of them are going to have the means or desire to purchase those back issues at prices that will keep the market afloat?

I've said it many times; comics won't disappear as a collectible within our lifetimes, but you really have to question the long term viability of the high end segment of the hobby. We're not just talking about a few rare keys here; there are thousands and thousands of books that sell for thousands and thousands of dollars, thanks to a wealthy generation that's currently enjoying the spoils that come with attaining their peak earning potential.

There are collectors who own multiple copies of some of the highest grade SA and BA books, and I wonder to what extent the market relies on those few collectors holding the very best. My guess is someone like Tom Brulato could sink the market by selling his collection, even in its current "healthy" state. When it comes time for the current BSDs to pass the torch, is there going to be anyone there able to carry it?

On pricing, I'm always amazed when I go to those high end sites and see the prices - prices almost double or triple what I would pay, or do pay, on here or on eBay. Then again, I'm often shocked by the prices some ask on this site, knowing that pretty much the same item just sold on eBay at 20-50% of asking the very same week. Of course some of that is the exact item, and it is flippers in action....., :sorry:

On pricing, I'm always amazed when I go to those high end sites and see the prices - prices almost double or triple what I would pay, or do pay, on here or on eBay. Then again, I'm often shocked by the prices some ask on this site, knowing that pretty much the same item just sold on eBay at 20-50% of asking the very same week. Of course some of that is the exact item, and it is flippers in action....., :sorry:

Flippers? :o

In the Marketplace? :o

Say it ain't so! :cry:

Flippers? :o

In the Marketplace? :o

Say it ain't so! :cry:

Yup - soiling our town :mad: