• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridiculously Rare DC Giveaways And Premiums
5 5

451 posts in this topic

I kept the scan from the guy I bought it from, if anybody wants to see what the rarest DC looks like.

I'm not sure it's technically the rarest DC, simply because it was pulled by DC for being illegal.

Plus I know of three copies in existence, whereas I only know of two copies of The Dirt-Minator, and DC themselves certainly don't have one.

I picked up a copy of Superman Adventures # 1 1996 Warner bros. Preview Edition recently.

Anyone care to venture a guess on the print run?

I checked the cencus, CGC only shows 1 graded copy,a 9.4

Raw copies don't seem to be offered much on eBay, I've been checking ebay for listings on this book for months.A completed item search showed only 1 sold copy listed as "VF+/NM" and 3 BIN listings from from mycomicshop, a VG/FN,FN and F/VF...priced between $40-$80.All of the mycomicshop listings were removed by MCS this month and shown as "this item is no longer available"

That seems kinda strange.

My copy may very well be a 9.8 candidate (can't remember offhand if it has color breaks but I know it it is pretty sweet ) after I press it tomorrow......it's been sitting at the far corner of my desk for about 3 months on top of a stack of unprocessed buys, I just looked it up and saw the ended BIN's, did a google search, which led me to this thread.......

Anyway, I'll be subbing my copy at the ECCC in April.

Highest graded copy? :cloud9:

Any info on this book would be much appreciated.

Here's the forementioned BIN listing (not my copy, just for reference)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Adventures-Preview-1st-Mercy-Graves-/131411479221?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e98bc0ab5

I was an animation artwork gallery manager for WBSS from 1993 to 1997 when this came out. If I recall correctly each store got a bundle of 50 or 100 copies to give out as a way of promoting the show & comic. There were 105 WB stores at the time this was released, but I'm not sure the bundles were sent to stores without galleries. They probably were, but again...it's hazy.

Oddly enough before the comic was even thought of I was talking with Terry Austin about his current jobs (he was a friend of mine and a customer at my store). He was talking about making a change from the books he was working on so I pushed for him to see if they were doing a comic based on the show. The Batman one sold very well, so it seemed logical. Eventually after my nagging he let DC know he was interested in inking this title if they were doing one. We both loved the show. He got the job, which was great for him as he stayed on the book from #1 for a long time. Anyway, when we got the promo copies in I had him sign one. Here's mine :

16332941604_88830db747_o.jpg

I wouldn't think the print run to be more than 10,000 or so on this and the surviving copies can't be a large number. Many were given out to kids even though I tried to keep a bunch for my gallery customers as well as taking home about 10 copies for myself. Sadly they've all been sold over the last 20 years.

Peace,

Chip

I was an animation artwork gallery manager for WBSS from 1993 to 1997 when this came out. If I recall correctly each store got a bundle of 50 or 100 copies to give out as a way of promoting the show & comic. There were 105 WB stores at the time this was released, but I'm not sure the bundles were sent to stores without galleries. They probably were, but again...it's hazy.

Oddly enough before the comic was even thought of I was talking with Terry Austin about his current jobs (he was a friend of mine and a customer at my store). He was talking about making a change from the books he was working on so I pushed for him to see if they were doing a comic based on the show. The Batman one sold very well, so it seemed logical. Eventually after my nagging he let DC know he was interested in inking this title if they were doing one. We both loved the show. He got the job, which was great for him as he stayed on the book from #1 for a long time. Anyway, when we got the promo copies in I had him sign one. Here's mine :

I wouldn't think the print run to be more than 10,000 or so on this and the surviving copies can't be a large number. Many were given out to kids even though I tried to keep a bunch for my gallery customers as well as taking home about 10 copies for myself. Sadly they've all been sold over the last 20 years.

Peace,

Chip

Thanks for the lowdown, Chip.

I'd be inclined to think the print run would have been around 5000 (50 comics per WB store) but that is just speculation based on what I have heard about the print run of other Superman Adventure books i.e. # 5 (1st Livewire, had a print run of 5000).

Either way, it's cool to get some insider info on the book.

Incidentally, I just took a look at my copy...it has one minute color break on the spine, I think it's a solid 9.8 candidate.

Peace,

Chip

I'd be inclined to think the print run would have been around 5000 (50 comics per WB store) but that is just speculation based on what I have heard about the print run of other Superman Adventure books i.e. # 5 (1st Livewire, had a print run of 5000).

You have heard incorrectly.

The Diamond orders for Superman Adventures #5 were 26,287. That's just the Direct Market. The newsstand, while in decline, was not insubstantial at this point.

I would be interested to know why you thought the print run for a 1997 Superman book was only 5,000, and/or who you heard this from.

Remember: Direct market approximate order numbers from about Sept 1996 are available for every month since then at John Jackson Miller's wonderful site:

www.comichron.com

I picked up a copy of Superman Adventures # 1 1996 Warner bros. Preview Edition recently.

Raw copies don't seem to be offered much on eBay, I've been checking ebay for listings on this book for months.A completed item search showed only 1 sold copy listed as "VF+/NM" and 3 BIN listings from from mycomicshop, a VG/FN,FN and F/VF...priced between $40-$80.All of the mycomicshop listings were removed by MCS this month and shown as "this item is no longer available"

My copy may very well be a 9.8 candidate (can't remember offhand if it has color breaks but I know it it is pretty sweet ) after I press it tomorrow......it's been sitting at the far corner of my desk for about 3 months on top of a stack of unprocessed buys, I just looked it up and saw the ended BIN's, did a google search, which led me to this thread.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-Adventures-Preview-1st-Mercy-Graves-/131411479221?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e98bc0ab5

OK, lets see!

OK, lets see!

$10.50. :P

OK, lets see!

$10.50. :P

Thank you Mr. Donut!

can anyone tell me about this one? haven't seen them anywhere. but I've got one...

IMG_3573_zpsfb57acad.jpg

Peace,

Chip

You have heard incorrectly.

The Diamond orders for Superman Adventures #5 were 26,287. That's just the Direct Market. The newsstand, while in decline, was not insubstantial at this point.

I would be interested to know why you thought the print run for a 1997 Superman book was only 5,000, and/or who you heard this from.

Remember: Direct market approximate order numbers from about Sept 1996 are available for every month since then at John Jackson Miller's wonderful site:

www.comichron.com

First, thanks for the info on Sups Adv 5.

Buuut, Chip did not say he thought the print run was 5000 on the Sups Adv 1 WB Preview edition, he guesstimated it to be around 10,000.

Go back and read the last few posts between Chip and myself, in this thread for the breakdown on how he came up with that figure.

Also, note that this is the Warner Bros. PREVIEW edition of Superman Adventures # 1 we're discussing, not the regular edition.