• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridiculously Rare DC Giveaways And Premiums
5 5

451 posts in this topic

Screw Overstreet. I'm sure Krause's Standard Catalog of Comic Books would be interested in Ian's wealth of info.

http://www.collect.com/contactus.asp?t=krause#Book

Screw that...Ian should self-publish the Ultimate DC Index...why give all the other pubs the glory? He could also humor himself by throwing a couple bogus listings in and see who bites...

takeit.gif

Jim

Screw Overstreet. I'm sure Krause's Standard Catalog of Comic Books would be interested in Ian's wealth of info.

http://www.collect.com/contactus.asp?t=krause#Book

Yup, I sent info in for their 2nd edition and they didn't have the "scan the indicia" hangup OS has. I sent cover scans because it was easy, but they didn't need those either. They just wanted publisher, month, year, full title, etc..

I would think OS would be more interested in reasons to include, then to exclude information. Shows you how much I know.

"They just wanted publisher, month, year, full title, etc."

That would be fine as well. So far all I have seen are cover scans, which are great. But we need all the relevant info and Ian has not provided any of that as yet. If he sent in a list with all of that information written down or typed in or however he wants to do it, that's fine. Cover scans and that info is enough. He said some months back that he would compile such a list, so if we get that list, we're good to go.

Some of you have a bitter and somewhat skewed view of our ability to manage the impossible. But rest assured if we have the information to go on, we can get it done. Just ask some of the folks around here who took part in compiling a huge list of corrections and additions, every one of which made its way into the very next edition of the Guide following the submission of the list.

TomMurnane,

It's very easy for you and others here to be glib about things like this, and if this bores you, there's a simple solution - instead of posting completely unhelpful commentary, you can simply not take part in the conversation. But frankly I'm tired of that attitude. This isn't just a spare time past-time for me - it's a job and one that must be done a certain way. Ian has said that he will provide the info we need, and I'm going to take him at his word until I see it proven one way or another. And when we add all that info to the next Guide, then everybody will be happy. But if we don't get the info we need, we can't do it. It's that simple. And we can't afford to fly someone over to take notes on comics Ian has right at his fingertips right now and can easily jot down for us, no matter what people think of us or our resources.

Still sleeping? Fine with me. No one is forcing you to read this.

Ian has said that he will provide the info we need, and I'm going to take him at his word until I see it proven one way or another. And when we add all that info to the next Guide, then everybody will be happy. But if we don't get the info we need, we can't do it. It's that simple. And we can't afford to fly someone over to take notes on comics Ian has right at his fingertips right now and can easily jot down for us, no matter what people think of us or our resources.

The problem is, Arnold, that over thirty two thousand DCs is a lot of comics, and I have a career. I started listing Overstreet omissions over two years ago, but haven't either the time or the patience to jot down every detail.

The five lots of scans I just posted up are because Metarog kept asking for The Warlord one which I recently finally obtained. The others are things I have had for years but knew they were either not in Overstreet or knew no-one had ever seen what they looked like.

The biggest enemy here is simply finding the time.

Plus the smaller giveaways are all sealed into mylites then mounted on boards, and I don't feel like pulling apart the beautiful and meticulous presentation to get inside them.

Ian,

Believe me, I completely understand, and I think what we need to do here is simply set realistic goals. Obviously there's no way all of this can be documented and accomplished immediately. However, we could certainly get a lot of nice new info in by just keeping it realistic. For example, if you just jotted down the relevant publishing info, dates, etc. on that handful of covers you posted here, there's a bunch of rare items that can go right in for the next edition. And since as you yourself have pointed out, there are many such omissions, then *anything* we can get from you will only help to address the problem and enhance the Guide.

In a perfect world, we'd get every last damn one of them in there immediately. We *can't* do that. But we *can* make a dent, and I'd be happy to work with you to make that happen. All we need is the info.

However, we could certainly get a lot of nice new info in by just keeping it realistic. For example, if you just jotted down the relevant publishing info, dates, etc. on that handful of covers you posted here, there's a bunch of rare items that can go right in for the next edition.

Well the Womans Magazine Super Heroes Cookery giveaway has all the indicia on the front cover.

So do those two mini-comics printed in Japan. They both say licensed off DC comics and 1979 on the covers.

I didn't really stop to look at the scans before but I can see you're absolutely right. Do you know what the actual contents are of those Japanese giveaways and the cooking one? Not necessary information per se, but it would certainly be nice to know.

In any event, I'll jot down those three. Hey, at least it's a start. smile.gif

Do you know what the actual contents are of those Japanese giveaways

The problem here is that if they were Japanese, they wouldn't have the English writing on the cover. But they clearly say Made In Japan.

I think they were giveaway Christmas mini-comics that came along with Christmas ornaments.

HI Ian - I was wondering if you got any info. on the History of the Warlord giveaway when you purchased it - was it printed and mostly destroyed or were there only a few test copies printed or something along those lines ?

Mike Voiles insisted it existed when I used to refuse to believe it.

Paul Levitz said it was never made.

Certainly most copies of the 1982 toys did not have the comic.

The few that did were obviously meant to have been destroyed, if Paul Levitz was so adamant that they scrapped the comic.

Therefore it must be bordering on priceless.

Here is a link to several previously unlisted giveaways we mentioned in Scoop . A number of these are M.C. Gaines related and also a few DC's.

The Comic Cavalcade 13 giveaway is one of my rarities that I didn't think you knew about. I didn't think there was another copy about.

I've never seen or heard of that giveaway from Comic Cavalcade 1 however.

All the rest appear to be later ECs, many of which I saw on E-Bay. Of great interest to an EC collector, but not linked to DC.

I know I've not been on here for a while, but Metarog asked me to post up the ridiculously rare "Aquateers Meet The Superfriends" mini-comic, that I just finally got after nearly thirty years.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//1671422-Aquateers%2Cjpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

So, are there some Give-aways that you dont have Ian?

I know I've not been on here for a while, but Metarog asked me to post up the ridiculously rare "Aquateers Meet The Superfriends" mini-comic, that I just finally got after nearly thirty years.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//1671422-Aquateers%2Cjpg

Here is the pic... Aquateers.jpg

It is just amazing how rare this comic is... nobody on the Net that I could find had even seen a copy before last week. I was beginning to think that no more copies existed! Great find. thumbsup2.gif)