• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridiculously Rare DC Giveaways And Premiums
5 5

451 posts in this topic

603396-WANTEDsmall.jpg

For those interested, and I put them in this thread becasue most of them are giveaways, the rest of the comics pictured here apart from New Adventure 26 are as follows.....

Supergear

Girls Love 5 (I need to upgrade it as mine has missing pages)

Scooby Doo Mini-Comic "Werewolf Are You"

Looney Tunes/Tyson Mini-Comics - "The Great Scavenger Hunt" issues 7, 8, and 10 (I also need number 2 but don't have a picture)

Looney Tunes/Tyson Mini-Comics first series issues 1 and 6 (I also need numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8, but don't have a picture)

Heart Throbs 4 (I also need numbers 24 and 41, but don't have a picture)

Uncle Sam 5

Superman Workbook

Atomic Comics 2

Special Navy Editions 1, 4, 5, and 6

Worlds Finest 1949 Giveaway "Make Way For Youth" (I also need the 1944 one "Johnny Everyman", but don't have a picture)

The Warlord Remco mini-comic (I still don't believe this actually exists)

The Batman/Rain-Blo gum Personalised Comic

Tom, you are a true star, and a dream come true for me, in much the same way as the wonderful metarog has also been.

Thankyou.

This was the first I'd heard about these. It is only possible to collect DC promos if I first find out about their existence.

That's four this week - the red cover copy of Adventures With The DC Super Heroes, and now these three new Burger King issues.

Thankyou.

3 more promo comics for you....

BURGER KING OFFERS BATMAN STRIKES COMICS WITH KIDS MEALS

Press Release

THIS FALL, BATMAN STRIKES #1 COMES FREE WITH THE PURCHASE OF A KIDS MEAL AT PARTICIPATING BURGER KING RESTAURANTS.

Beginning September 27th, 2004, a custom comic of DC Comics ' new ongoing series BATMAN STRIKES comes free with the purchase of a Burger King Kids Meal at participating Burger King estaurants. The BATMAN STRIKES comic book is based on the new B show THE BATMAN, an innovative, all-new animated television series based on the famed DC Comics super hero Batman and roduced by Warner Bros. Animation for Kids ' WB! and Cartoon Network.

For this promotion, participating restaurants will distribute six million DC Comics custom comics (including two million copies of BATMAN STRIKES issue 1, as well as custom comic editions of LOONEY TUNES issues 1 and 2). The custom comic edition of BATMAN STRIKES contains content from the first two issues of the series, as well as a word search, coloring pages, and a reprint of a classic Batman adventure, " The Batman Nobody Knows! " written by Frank Robbins with art by Giordano.

This was the first I'd heard about these. It is only possible to collect DC promos if I first find out about their existence.

That's four this week - the red cover copy of Adventures With The DC Super Heroes, and now these three new Burger King issues.

OK, anyone have luck scaring up copies of these? I asked at the local BK and my inquiries were met with a bunch of confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif and some confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

There's no PR about this on the Burger King website... foreheadslap.gif893whatthe.gif

Beginning September 27th, 2004, a custom comic of DC Comics ' new ongoing series BATMAN STRIKES comes free with the purchase of a Burger King Kids Meal at participating Burger King estaurants. For this promotion, participating restaurants will distribute six million DC Comics custom comics (including two million copies of BATMAN STRIKES issue 1, as well as custom comic editions of LOONEY TUNES issues 1 and 2). OK, anyone have luck scaring up copies of these? There's no PR about this on the Burger King website...

Well today IS the 27th September.

I do hope someone can get all three for me.

If I was unclear, I meant that I asked today - Sept 27th. makepoint.gif

The current toy promotion is the Shark Tales, not anything relevant to DC. I hadn't expected a toy line to go along with the DC comics. But I also hadn't expected to be met with the blank stares. I question the accuracy of this "PR" that was posted elsewhere. As I noted, there's no sign of it on the BK website. Also searched news at Yahoo and didn't find anything about these promo comics.

As explained to me by a Burger King manager:

These three comics are only given out as replacements for the regular, Shark Tales toys. Shark Tales is the current promotion at Burger King and the manager said they'll only sell the comics as replacements when they run out of Shark Tales toys.

The manager said Burger King has been distributing comics for the past two years in this manner.

The manager said the comics are sent to Burger Kings when the warehouse runs out of the toys and the comics are fairly limited.

The Burger King at which I inquired about the promotion said the three comics are not even supposed to be promoted at all.

Oh yeah, I got three copies of each because I was nice and paid for three kids meals and six additional comics.

They're nice if you can find copies in good shape. The Burger King managers and workers, unless they're comic book collectors, don't really care a whole lot about comics' conditions, so they cram them down into the bags or get grease all over them or fold them and put them into the bags with the meals. None of the copies I bought are NM because of creases in the spine and on the cover.

As explained to me by a Burger King manager:

These three comics are only given out as replacements for the regular, Shark Tales toys. Shark Tales is the current promotion at Burger King and the manager said they'll only sell the comics as replacements when they run out of Shark Tales toys.

The manager said Burger King has been distributing comics for the past two years in this manner.

The manager said the comics are sent to Burger Kings when the warehouse runs out of the toys and the comics are fairly limited.

The Burger King at which I inquired about the promotion said the three comics are not even supposed to be promoted at all.

Oh yeah, I got three copies of each because I was nice and paid for three kids meals and six additional comics.

Would you let me have a copy of each of the three, in return for some other DC promos and giveaways ??? I have some rare spares.

Ian,

This was posted in the Golden Age section. I wanted to make sure you saw this All-American ashcan from 1939!

I own the Flash ashcan.

Plus I have xeroxes of all the others, I believe.

No-one could collect all the ashcans. It's a sheer impossibility. As nice as they are, at the end of the day they were just patenting tools, not real comics at all.

I do already have a xerox of this one. Whether it came from this particular copy, I have no idea.

I will buy any ashcan if I can afford it. But if the price gets silly, like it did with the Superman 1 ashcan that was on e-Bay a few months back, then I'll just pass.

The board member who owns that AA ashcan (moondog - Gary) seems to know an awful lot about the history of DC comics; have you two communicated with one another? I wonder if he's as knowledgable about the DC premiums as he seems to be about the ashcans.

The board member who owns that AA ashcan (moondog - Gary) seems to know an awful lot about the history of DC comics; have you two communicated with one another? I wonder if he's as knowledgable about the DC premiums as he seems to be about the ashcans.

I just realised that it's Gary Colaubono.

Yes we have corresponded. He knows more about ashcans than anyone

And my next post but one is my two thousandth....

Hope this doesn't come across like I'm trying to be difficult, but why wouldn't an ashcan count as a "real" comic? I've read through the posts on the Bradman comic (fascinating, btw), and it seems to me that that book would be comparable to an ashcan, i.e., a book printed by DC exclusively for the private sector, with no intent of sale or promotional/giveaway purposes. Even though there's only one (or a few), doesn't it still count as a bona fide DC publication? confused.gif

The regular Golden Age DC Ashcans are an important part of DC's publishing history. They were used to secure trademarks for POSSIBLE titles and logo’s DC might want to publish in the future Most of the titles DC produced in the 30’s and 40’s would probably have had Ashcan editions mocked up as well as numerous titles and logo’s which never saw publication such as “Screen Fables” and “Superwoman”.

Rather than producing full blown comics the Ashcans were made by removing the covers from existing printed comics and hand stapling the new mocked up cover to interiors. Therefore the Ashcans are not true comics as only the covers were specifically made for the ashcan and even these were not printed but produced by adding a pasting a new logo to an existing cover and photographing the result which was “developed” in b&w onto photographic paper in quantities estimated at around 4 prints per Ashcan cover.

In his 1999 article for Comic Book Marketplace Gary Colabuono showed the covers of 38 of the surviving Ashcans. The article is well worth a look and is from issue 71.

Regards Earl.

Edited by Earl

Then why leave out alternate cover designs there were proposed. There are issues that never made it to print. Those could be included to. Sound like openning a can of worms to me. I personnely don't give a hoot about ashcans or any of the above. Never was interested in them. They exist but do they really need to be considered? confused-smiley-013.gif

Rather than producing full blown comics the Ashcans were made by removing the covers from existing printed comics and hand stapling the new mocked up cover to interiors. Therefore the Ashcans are not true comics as only the covers were specifically made for the ashcan and even these were not printed but produced by adding a pasting a new logo to an existing cover and photographing the result which was “developed” in b&w onto photographic paper in quantities estimated at around 4 prints per Ashcan cover.

Correct.

They were tests proofs to acquire a trademark. Lovely to own but not necessary to complete a DC collection.

But still, as I said, lovely to own, including the fabulous Flash ashcan that I bought. But the interiors have nothing to do with the covers.

Look what came in the mail today... another variant cover of JLA Adventures #1. How many different covers did this comic have?

The regular issue

The Six Flags giveaway

The Free Comic Book Day giveaway

This one - the Sour Punch Straws (I hope you got me one as well as yours)

The Trade Paperback which has the same cover.

Have I missed any ???

Thanks for the rundown Ian and yes that is your copy I posted up. They only allowed one comic per address but my brother got me one except that they stapled through the comic when they sealed the envelope. I got the comic out okay though and you can barely tell it was stapled through.

Thanks for the rundown Ian and yes that is your copy I posted up. They only allowed one comic per address but my brother got me one except that they stapled through the comic when they sealed the envelope. I got the comic out okay though and you can barely tell it was stapled through.

Wonderful.

So did I miss out any other versions with that cover ???