• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This week in your Bronze Variants collection

503 posts in this topic

one says reprint and one does not. man there are so many different versions of this. Both of these are the reprint and thats what you see all the time. Other then that one picture I still have never seen a copy of the reprint with a UPC.

Here is some info from 2005 that might be of help.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Comic-books-Comics-683/Star-wars-reprints-1.htm

Hey Thanks so much for respinding so quickly and finding out the info for me to me it makes perfect sense to me. I sent my uncle your awnser and he however being as stubern as he is replyed by stating the follwoing

OK here's the thing: Marvel used to issue reprints of older Star Wars comics in bags to grocery stores and stores like K-mart 3 issues to a bag for 99 cents. All the comics had the diamond number and the Spidey face in place of the UPC code. My first 6 issues I got this very way. As I got older I subscribed to Marvel and got all my issues from them through the mail. Not once did Marvel send me an issue with a diamond number or a Spidey face.

I am now completly addicted to this subject now and I have to figure it out lol. I was just wondering what your take was on his reply. Also just curious but if I was to sell these Spidey face star wars issues would I be able to sell them to someone or someplace for the same price as the upc ones? I guess the real question is do most people consider the spidey face a first print for when I resell. Thank you again for your time I really apreciate you helping me out with figurering this all out.

-------------------------

Followup To

Question -

Hello how are you? Im thinking about ordering some of the Marvel Star Wars comic books from a website. Now my uncle has been collecting these comics since he was a kid he was even on the mailing list back when they were coming out but he had some holes in his collection and wanted some better copys so he ordered some of the same website. Some of the comics he recieved had the barcoade in the coner and others had the box with the spider man face. Now being a long time collector he knew that the originals were the barcodes and the reprints were not so he called up the company saying he felt they ripped him off by selling him reprints. The company said that in the later issues on the comic they started replacing some of the barcodes for spiderman faces and they are a first edition as well and only the competly blank conners were reprints. With the hassel of mailing them back and what not my uncle just let it go and is now curious if he was right or if the company was.

I have been trying to do research on the internet for this and came across a somewhat similar question you had awnsered and thought Id see if you could awnser mine.

Throught the entire comic book series of Marvel Star Wars are the first editions the barcodes only or are these spiderman faces first editions as well? Thanks for your time I really apricaiate it cant wait to finaly be certain on this topic.

Answer -

Hi Alex

I will tell you my understanding of this, which a couple other people on a comic-related chat group I participated in confirmed for me.

Independent comic shops started competing with more traditional newsstands and party stores right about the time Star Wars comics were being issued. A major difference between the comic shops and the newsstands was that newsstands could return unsold comics to Marvel for a refund whereas comic shops could not.

To make sure that comic shops didn't circumvent this rule by having a newsstand return their unsold comics, Marvel issued slightly different covers on comics sent to each. Since most comic shops didn't have UPC scanners anyway, they got rid of the UPC code and replaced it with a Spidey face on the issues sent to the comic shops. Only the newsstand issues got the UPC codes.

So in this case, both these variants would be originals and not reprints. Someone mentioned to me that they believe the early Star Wars reprints had the issue number in a diamond in the upper left corner of the front cover. However, later on Marvel started putting the issue numbers in diamonds on original issues as well, so a diamond will not necessarily indicate a reprint.

Hope this is helpful and not too confusing. Let me know if it is unclear, and I will let you know if I learn anything else about these issues.

Chris

Man , I was about to give you this website:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html

but they beat me to it!

I commented on the boards a few years ago about this Star Wars diamond 35 cent comic with the UPC code... I spotted it and the seller was in England.. well I slept :mad: the auction and lost out on it.. since then I have not seen another one on Ebay and this printing has been a matter of mystery as to where and why it came to be.

Not sure about this one. Can any of the Variant Ghurus enlighten me as to whether this is a variant or not? Thanks :hi:

scanMTU0003.jpg

Anybody? (shrug)

The regular copy of Captain Marvel 62. Was the first series of books to come out as 40 cents, had the starburst from the "Still Only 35 c" blast in the corner. Other books that look like this include Daredevil 158 and Marvel Two In One 51. Nothing out of the ordinary. (thumbs u

Not sure about this one. Can any of the Variant Ghurus enlighten me as to whether this is a variant or not? Thanks :hi:

scanMTU0003.jpg

Anybody? (shrug)

The regular copy of Captain Marvel 62. Was the first series of books to come out as 40 cents, had the starburst from the "Still Only 35 c" blast in the corner. Other books that look like this include Daredevil 158 and Marvel Two In One 51. Nothing out of the ordinary. (thumbs u

:cry:

I'm not sure what collection the book came from.

it looks like the book from comichunters, which looks like the book he bought from queenangelica.....who had the star wars 1 that appears to have been optimized into the 9.6 that sold for $25k

but, I could be mistaken (shrug)

I'm not sure what collection the book came from.

it looks like the book from comichunters, which looks like the book he bought from queenangelica.....who had the star wars 1 that appears to have been optimized into the 9.6 that sold for $25k

but, I could be mistaken (shrug)

Ok...it is. I double checked. The book looks really great except for a slight stain on the back. Probably send it in to be graded soon. Don't want to get my hopes up too high..hopefully it'll come back at least a 9.0