• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could Detective 27 one day replace Action 1 as the #1 GA book?

97 posts in this topic

well, it is no secret that Action 1 is the #1 book on my want list right now....

Third time lucky? That 2.5 is going to be a lot more expensive than the 1.8.

it does present better than the 1.8, no doubt.., but without the taped covers, it is really a 1.5 (like the tec 27 in the last heritage)....that said, it will go for what it goes for and I will take it as high as I can (thumbs u

How high? :insane:

$65.87 might do it :wishluck:

:wishluck: Well, so far you are 0/2 with the Actions this year. Hopefully you can go 1/3

:cry: :cry: :wishluck:

That 2.5 is going to be a lot more expensive than the 1.8.

Can you define "a lot more"?

Your $140K prediction on the Allentown Marvel #1 is still ringing in my ears.

ouch

lol

(tsk)

You were probably one of those "$600,000 for Action #1 CGC 6.0" guys, or did you even make a prediction? Someone picked up that Allentown MC#1 at a serious discount, less than 25% of what the 9.0's sold. That's way below typical percentages on key books with slight resto.

You were probably one of those "$600,000 for Action #1 CGC 6.0" guys, or did you even make a prediction? Someone picked up that Allentown MC#1 at a serious discount, less than 25% of what the 9.0's sold. That's way below typical percentages on key books with slight resto.

think Showcase Collectibles voted for between 250K-350K after seeing a scan of the book.

I did make a prediction, it was under your 400K+ prediction and much closer to the actual sales price. For some reason your prediction of 89K for the Adventure $40 which brought 35K also sticks out as another of your dead-on-balls-accurate prognostications.

Marvel #1 in unrestored has been selling for around 75% of guide, when it was first discussed, you asked if it meant a 100K discount to the unrestored price - I stated yes believed it would amount to that much of a discount, but allowed even up to 80K for someone really wanting to dig deep and because of the pedigree.

"25% of what the 9.0s sold for"? I can't think of any major key where a restored copy (even slight) would bring that kind of percentage of unrestored 9.0 price. Action #1? No way. Restored copies top out in the 125K range, and it is for certain a 9.0 unrestored would bring 4x that. Batman #1? we know a 9.0 sold for almost 300K. No restored Batman #1 brings 75K. Superman #1? No again.

It sounds fun to hear the words "pedigree", "major key" and "high grade" in the same sentence, but previous history just doesn't support the pie in the sky predictions you continue to make. But I like the enthusiasm. I wish there were a bunch of deep-pocket collectors who spent like you think.

Well it seems like spednig a lot of time tracking my quotes. (thumbs u The Adventure #40 was a complete blind guess, I didn't have a clue what it was worth and was simply guaging it against some of the crazy prices we saw with AA#16 over the last year. The KC copy 7.0 copy recently sold for $40K so $50K for the Allentown I'm sure was a complete surpise even to someone as knowledgeable as you. ;) The KC sale is about 48% of what the Chicorel copy just sold for so how do you explain that? 48% of a 9.0 copy takes the Allentown copy to about $100K and I thought its pedigree would give it a bit more push. Oh well I was wrong again as you pointed out.

Why do I feel like your taking this opportunity to make this is another MC#1 vs Action #1 thread? Or maybe its just your grating personality or condescending manner in which you post?

Must be the condescending manner in which I post. Don't think I've ever tried to start an Action #1 vs. Marvel #1 thread, and not trying to change it to one here. ;)

As for the Chicorel vs. Allentown vs. KC copy, I'm not sure the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting someone overpaid for the KC? I think it's pretty documented that the higher the grade, the bigger the spread for unrestored vs. restored. The dollars start to thin the herd rather quickly as you spiral upward, but in the long run probably all three copies do well for their respective owners.

And yes, it will certainly be interesting to see what the latest Action #1 brings at auction.

As for the Chicorel vs. Allentown vs. KC copy, I'm not sure the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting someone overpaid for the KC?

Not at all the KC copy is beautiful and worth every dime but I also I think someone got a good deal on the Chicorel copy. Maybe you can clarify your point, are you now trying to suggest that someone overpaid for the KC copy because you were off about 40% on the Allentown call?

Since Billy Parker owns the KC copy now, why don't we ask him if he thinks he overpaid.

Considering he couldn't get that goofy grin off of his face for a long time after acquiring it I think I can guarantee what that answer will be.

Since Billy Parker owns the KC copy now, why don't we ask him if he thinks he overpaid.

Considering he couldn't get that goofy grin off of his face for a long time after acquiring it I think I can guarantee what that answer will be.

and given that I tried for a year to buy it at that price, I too agree that it is a copy well worth the money...

that said, I think the allentown 9.2 at $50K is an even better buy (thumbs u