• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC and Marvel- Orginals and Knockoffs

90 posts in this topic

Can't believe no one's gotten around to Doom Patrol / original X-Men

incl...

wheelchair-bound Chief / wheelchair-bound Prof. X

Brotherhood of Evil / Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

doh!

Darkseid/Thanos

Thanos and Mongul is probably more accurate, but i agree that the Titans are very similar to the New Gods.

I'm just going on appearance. I really don't know anything about Darkseid, but loved that mini with Mike Mignola (goes to find his copies to reread).

Is there a DC counterpart to Punisher, Wolverine or Bullseye?

And who came first? Deathstroke or the bad guy from the Avengers with all the different weapons? Weaponstroke?

I thought the Punisher inspired Deathstroke? Was there a guy in the Legion of Superheros named Timberwolf? He resembles Wolverine...

Originally, Timber Wolf was superhumanly fast and agile, but when the serum changed him into a wolf-like lycanthrope he gained claws, enhanced senses, the ability to heal quickly from injuries, and superhuman strength. As a byproduct of his wolfen form, he is often prone to outbursts of savage fury.

How about Robin / Bucky?

Still, JLA and The Avengers seems a more valid comparison - both teams were created from already-established super-heroes. The FF consisted of all-new characters.

Just my 2¢

-slym

Mr. Fantastic = Plastic Man knockoff

Human Torch = Stan tweaking an old character he had the rights to

The Thing = superhero spin on the monsters that paid Stan's rent through the 1950s. Arguably an archetype that goes back several hundred years to the Beast in Beauty and the Beast.

Invisible Girl = original? Although H.G. Wells beat Stan by several decades. But making the invisble one a woman was good thinking by Stan.

Invisible Woman the movie came out in 1940 by Universal Pictures.

Stan wasn`t the first to think of a woman invisible.

The Invisible Woman 1940 universal movie

invisible_woman_poster_04.jpg

incl...

doh!

Well... my love for the X-Men has all but evaporated.

-slym

X-Men and Doom Patrol is more like the chicken and the egg, but Doom Patrol hit the stands first... by a mere three months.

Yup, I looked it up first, because I thought maybe he had the order mixed up.

*sigh*

-slym (will have to get his X-logo shoulder tat lasered off now)

And who came first? Deathstroke or the bad guy from the Avengers with all the different weapons? Weaponstroke?

I thought the Punisher inspired Deathstroke? Was there a guy in the Legion of Superheros named Timberwolf? He resembles Wolverine...

Originally, Timber Wolf was superhumanly fast and agile, but when the serum changed him into a wolf-like lycanthrope he gained claws, enhanced senses, the ability to heal quickly from injuries, and superhuman strength. As a byproduct of his wolfen form, he is often prone to outbursts of savage fury.

How about Robin / Bucky?

The Punisher was inspired by The Executioner Mack Bolan

The Executioner

eab7afb5e94d70de2e736d5df5fbf1bf.jpg

incl...

doh!

You might want to take a look at front page of thread.

My first post

incl...

doh!

Well... my love for the X-Men has all but evaporated.

-slym

You point about FF v. Avengers is well-taken. I had knockoffs in mind when I wrote earlier.

And you may want to sell your New X-Men also. They're a knockoff of The Legion of Superheros.

How about Robin / Bucky?

The Executioner

nice.

I'm a big Destroyer fan, myself. (Remo Williams) Have about 100 of the paperbacks.

The Joker/ The Jester (Daredevil villain)

The Heap preceded both Swamp-Thing and Man-Thing by a decade.

Snapper Carr / Rick Jones

Timber Wolf / Wolverine.

True (the Heap actually dates back to the 1940's), and if we limit this to just DC vs. Marvel then Man-Thing still preceded Swamp Thing in Savage Tales #1.

I think Taskmaster beat Deathstroke by a couple of months (1980?), but I always thought Taskmaster was just a human version of the Super Adaptoid.

I think Lobo is DC's wolverine ripoff.

Also, Squadron Supreme included Marvel ripoffs of several DC characters (ex. Hyperion = Superman).

Arcade is about as close to the Joker as you can get in the Marvel Universe.

Here's some that I think don't have easy knockoffs. (again, Marvel and DC only)

Punisher

Wolverine

Spider-Man

Superman

Batman

The Hulk

Iron Man

Punisher = Wild Dog

Hulk = Solomon Grundy

Batman = Night Hawk

Supes = Hyperion

Some others: Dr. Fate = Dr. Strange

Robin = Bucky

Martian Man Hunter = Silver Surfer?

Dr. Polaris = Magneto

How about Robin / Bucky?

The Executioner

nice.

I'm a big Destroyer fan, myself. (Remo Williams) Have about 100 of the paperbacks.

As you do the research just about every Marvel/DC character idea originated from somewhere else before, even the great Alan Moore and Frank Miller did it.