• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF ???? GRADE BOOKS

55 posts in this topic

Danny Cupcake at it again, eh?

-slym

Well, hes at it every week. Check out the Daredevil #7 NM+9.6 to NM/M 9.8, with color touch and a trimmed right edge. WTF. :o

DRX

This comic is numerically graded by me using the published Overstreet guidelines. The grade assessed is not a CGC grade, a guarantee or implication of CGC grade. It is my opinion of what the comic should grade at CGC, but not a guarantee of what it will grade.

A specific numerical CGC grade cannot be guaranteed because CGC themselves do not guarantee grades, and there are no published CGC grading guidelines.

This is made evident by the thousands upon thousands of CGC graded comics that have graded differently when resubmitted a second time, one extreme case being a comic that once CGC Universal graded 4.0 eventually being given a 9.0 Universal grade by CGC, the same company that graded it 4.0 in the past!

What exactly does CGC guarantee?

I quote from the CGC label itself: "CGC guarantees this comic book to be genuine and be inspected by a minimum of three graders. The assigned grade represents our opinion, as grading is subjective."

As my regular buyers well know, on a whole, my comics do very well at CGC. Some grade slightly higher than the grades I list them at, an equal number grade slightly lower, and the majority grade the same, most notably of late an AS #129 that I listed at NM/MT that was graded 9.8 by CGC, an AS #9 I listed as NM/NM+ (meaning a high end 9.4, but not quite a solid 9.6) that was CGC graded 9.4, an AS #37 that I Iisted as 9.2, I was given a negative on by the buyer for "overgrading", yet 2 months later was graded CGC 9.4 for the second chance buyer, and many, many others.

***Also, recently a restored raw AF 15 auctioned at $16,950 that graded CGC 9.4 (sl) for the buyer!***

In other words, there is an averaging out when it comes to the subjective art of grading, even among the best.

I don't know the story on this seller. Where does he get these books at? Who is he? I bought one from him and sent it back as overgraded by at least two grades, but his feedback is decent I suppose. Any info would be appreciated, I've started to bid on his stuff a couple of times.

I don't know the story on this seller. Where does he get these books at? Who is he? I bought one from him and sent it back as overgraded by at least two grades, but his feedback is decent I suppose. Any info would be appreciated, I've started to bid on his stuff a couple of times.

I feel like I'm watching one of the "Living Dead" movies, and you've just asked another character in the movie why these slow-moving guys are eating people's brains. :fear:

His real name--not the alias he gives people, but his real name--is Daniel Dupcak. Search on the name "Dupcak" or on robo's seller name in these forums for the full story--you will literally find THOUSANDS of posts about him dating back to the very beginning of these forums. He was a regular member here himself for a few years. There's a web site dedicated to sharing information about him:

http://www.justafanboy.com/ComicKeys/

Is he offering the Daredevil 7 as restored due to the fubared trim job on the right edge?

DD7r_030509.jpg

Sweeny Todd could do a better trim job than that.

I feel like I'm watching one of the "Living Dead" movies, and you've just asked another character in the movie why these slow-moving guys are eating people's brains. :fear:

His real name--not the alias he gives people, but his real name--is Daniel Dupcak. Search on the name "Dupcak" or on robo's seller name in these forums for the full story--you will literally find THOUSANDS of posts about him dating back to the very beginning of these forums. He was a regular member here himself for a few years. There's a web site dedicated to sharing information about him:

http://www.justafanboy.com/ComicKeys/

Sure make fun of the newbie. But I gotta admit, that was pretty funny. Good analogy. I will now sheepishly back away... :tonofbricks:

Is he offering the Daredevil 7 as restored due to the fubared trim job on the right edge?

DD7r_030509.jpg

Sweeny Todd could do a better trim job than that.

That's one of the two worst things about Cupcake - the fact he is defacing these nice SA books.

The other worst thing, the #1 - ripping people off.

-slym

Well, it does claim in the auction:

This listing is for an incredible off-white paged Daredevil #7 in eye-popping Apparent NM+ to NM/MT, newsstand condition, featuring Daredevil's new costume and a Sub-Mariner battle cover and story.

It has very slight, professional color touch, that most will not be able to detect, and has been trimmed on one edge.

This is a rare chance to own a visually stunning #7.

The comic is original, glossy, complete, clean, and has no other restoration of any kind other than the very slight color touch and one-edge trim.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMIC IS BEING LISTED AS RESTORED with FULL DISCLOSURE and WILL GRADE RESTORED IF AND WHEN SUBMITTED.

An apparent grade reflects the overall appearance after restoration.

When did he start being honest???

-slym

Sure make fun of the newbie.

It was more a feeling of dread on my part--I'd be pretty freaked out if I saw somebody eating someone else's brains, and to see someone else going through that is rather dreadful. The queasiness kicked in when you mentioned you bought from him--many of us got taken the same way. I bought an X-Men #7 ~8.5 from him back in 2001, and almost bought an FF #2 ~8.0. Glad you returned your book...that's the one saving grace of his, he accepts returns, that's how he keeps himself out of court.