• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Football Comic Covers

55 posts in this topic

I remember reading this comic as a kid, and it always struck me as an insane story.

The hero of our tale, an old college jock, relays his tale of woe - near the end of the game, he takes a kick-off/punt right back to the goal-line, being stopped just a foot short of a TD... and he's the goat of the game, because on the next play someone else fumbles?

He says something like "When I didn't score, that crushed the spirit of the team."

WTF? That guy just did the unbelievable, bringing his team 100+ yards on one play, yet he's the goat who "crushed the team's spirit" because he only went 100 yards and set them up for a 1-foot TD? Bizarre tale, and likely written by someone who never played a down.

153-1.jpg

I remember reading this comic as a kid, and it always struck me as an insane story.

The hero of our tale, an old college jock, relays his tale of woe - near the end of the game, he takes a kick-off/punt right back to the goal-line, being stopped just a foot short of a TD... and he's the goat of the game, because on the next play someone else fumbles?

He says something like "When I didn't score, that crushed the spirit of the team."

WTF? That guy just did the unbelievable, bringing his team 100+ yards on one play, yet he's the goat who "crushed the team's spirit" because he only went 100 yards and set them up for a 1-foot TD? Bizarre tale, and likely written by someone who never played a down.

153-1.jpg

I remember reading it back in the day and even then I found it ludicrous and overly melodramatic. Still enjoyed it, though, despite not really knowing the rules of the game back then.