• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

No western love lately?

After some recent pickups from gunsmokin and others, I'm now down to needing 14 for the ENTIRE original TGK run.

(:kidaround: @ frank)

At least you included the word original in that post (even if it was small and hard to see) get to buying the reprints! :baiting: I am 27 away from a complete set. See how much cleaner that looks. lol

pickings have been rather slim lately on the Bay for decent silver age westerns. At least westerns with Kirby covers. I'm about ready to list my 2.5 copy of Two Gun Kid 60 just to see if the interest is still out there. I still have a 4.5 copy left as well. This thread might float better if Hemi-GTX hadn't defected to pre code horror, right Monte?

Edited by gunsmokin

pickings have been rather slim lately on the Bay for decent silver age westerns. At least westerns with Kirby covers. I'm about ready to list my 2.5 copy of Two Gun Kid 60 just to see if the interest is still out there. I still have a 4.5 copy left as well. This thread might float better if Hemi-GTX hadn't defected to pre code horror, right Monte?

lol, I still love my country of origin. One could never leave her to far behind.

photo KidColt94cgc90_zps4f5f51f0.jpg

photo kidcolt95cgc90_zps76fb076c.jpg

photo KidColt96cgc90_zps96e79cab.jpg

photo KidColt97cgc90_zps65519c09.jpg

photo kidcolt105cgc90_zpsd3a632c6.jpg

photo kidcolt106cgc90_zps30778e49.jpg

Both Kid Colt #106 and Hulk #3 are cover dated 9/62. Apparently, the idea of an Evil Circus was good enough to use twice!

Though for all the pedants in the audience, KKO 106 came out the month before Hulk 3 --June vs. July. :cool:

Both Kid Colt #106 and Hulk #3 are cover dated 9/62. Apparently, the idea of an Evil Circus was good enough to use twice!

Though for all the pedants in the audience, KKO 106 came out the month before Hulk 3 --June vs. July. :cool:

I don't find that kind of info pedantic at all. It bugged me that I had only cover dates to with which to work, and I was wondering which book came out first.

You remain The Man! :applause:

@seredynskib that is cool man, I assume it sits nicely next to you RHK #17 SS also?

@HemiGTX, that #97 is awesome! That is by far my favourite Kid Cold cover.

Thanks, KC #97 is super tough to find in higher grades. I think even tougher than #100 or #107. I got lucky finding that one. It came from a local comic shop of all places, which never happens.....

Dont collect much SA books, but I will throw my hat in the ring... :hi:

Little known book, great significance (to me, at least)... great story trying to obtain this thing. But worth it because it doesnt come around often, if at all.

Lobo1F_zps6a9e44ef.jpg

would this 1965 issue of LOBO (who Ive never heard of though the plot sounds like the TV show BRANDED, the copy here is practically the theme song word for word.) be the first black comic book hero? Its a good 5 years before DC and Marvel began adding black characters.

would this 1965 issue of LOBO (who Ive never heard of though the plot sounds like the TV show BRANDED, the copy here is practically the theme song word for word.) be the first black comic book hero? Its a good 5 years before DC and Marvel began adding black characters.

Definitely the first African-American and first to headlined his own book, albeit short-lived (2 issues, I believe).

Golden Age had some silly caricatures of black people, except for one. A Black Panther-esque character, not costumed... more Prince of Wakada persona. He was the first star, but even he didnt have a self-titled series.

Edited by akaSteveRogers

Definitely the first African-American and first to headlined his own book, albeit short-lived (2 issues, I believe).

Golden Age I had some silly caricatures of black people, except for one. A Black Panther-esque character, not costumed... more Prince of Wakada persona. He was the first star, but even he didnt have a self-titled series.

Ace Harlem was an early black hero in comic books.

Ace Harlem was an early black hero in comic books.

Good catch! (thumbs u Ace Harlem was one of a few strips in All Negro Comics #1. Shouldve remembered that one. Most of those other characters in other features in that book that were the sterotypical caricatures I mentioned before (Lion Man, Sugarfoot, etc), but Ace was the exception.

ANC #1 lasted only one issue, Ace Harlem featured in just a few pages...

Edited by akaSteveRogers