• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

@seredynskib that is cool man, I assume it sits nicely next to you RHK #17 SS also?

You're correct! My tgk60 cover isn't as clean as the rk17, but I'm happy to own a copy of each. Marvel westerns are not easy to come by in any condition!

Edited by seredynskib

would this 1965 issue of LOBO (who Ive never heard of though the plot sounds like the TV show BRANDED, the copy here is practically the theme song word for word.) be the first black comic book hero? Its a good 5 years before DC and Marvel began adding black characters.

Definitely the first African-American and first to headlined his own book, albeit short-lived (2 issues, I believe).

Golden Age I had some silly caricatures of black people, except for one. A Black Panther-esque character, not costumed... more Prince of Wakada persona. He was the first star, but even he didnt have a self-titled series.

Ace Harlem was an early black hero in comic books.

This discussion deserves its own thread.

Jackie Johnson (from Sgt. Rock in Our Army at War) was an ongoing perennial part of Easy Company. He first appeared WAY back in OAAW #113 (buddies with Wild Man who debuted in the same ish). Jackie didn't make regular appearances until somewhat later, but Kanigher was definitely on to something as far back as Dec. 1961.

oaaw113.jpg

It's the first 12¢ issue for cryin' out loud!

One could argue that a black character should be able to just interact with other characters as a regular part of the plot--not always as a plot device to advance some kind of examination of social issues. The very "normalcy" of the character's presence in and of itself would have helped readers recognize his humanity all the more. In fact, that's exactly what #113 does. Although Jackie's first appearance is interesting because it subtly avoids the obvious questions of Jackie's inclusion, Kanigher chose to write him in, subsequently in order to broach topics of racism, ignorance, stereotypes, respect, affirmation, etc. Kanigher, of course, chose to overlook the little factoid that African-Americans were still segregated during WW2 (a policy lifted for the first time during Korea where troops were integrated for the first time). . .and long-time Rock devotees like me certainly never quibbled. If you want realism and historical accuracy, you probably shouldn't be reading a comic book from 1961. Nonetheless, the Jackie character was one of uncompromising integrity and rugged determination not to mention one of Rock's buddies through and through. You knew that if the fate of Easy was in the balance, there weren't any more capable hands than Jackie's to save the day.

Jackie has an interesting back-story that's further explored in later issues that are no less staggering. If you're curious about more of those stories, you can check out my (ahem) article about Jackie that appeared in the 1994 Chris Pedrin Big-5 War Comics Guide. Now, back to the regularly scheduled western comics programing.

Congrats, KirbyJack on your great pick up.

I also recently scored a copy of Two-Gun Kid 60, Got it at the Big Wow show in San Jose a couple weeks ago.

Mine wasn't $15 though.

Mine was double the price.

I paid $30.

Didn't even need to haggle.

twogunkid60.jpg

This discussion deserves its own thread.

Absolutely! I think Gabe Jones (of Sgt Fury) was Marvel's equivalent to Jackie Johnson right?

Jackie Johnson (from Sgt. Rock in Our Army at War) was an ongoing perennial part of Easy Company. He first appeared WAY back in OAAW #113 (buddies with Wild Man who debuted in the same ish). Jackie didn't make regular appearances until somewhat later, but Kanigher was definitely on to something as far back as Dec. 1961.

It's the first 12¢ issue for cryin' out loud!

One could argue that a black character should be able to just interact with other characters as a regular part of the plot--not always as a plot device to advance some kind of examination of social issues. The very "normalcy" of the character's presence in and of itself would have helped readers recognize his humanity all the more.

Although Jackie's first appearance is interesting because it subtly avoids the obvious questions of Jackie's inclusion, Kanigher chose to write him in, subsequently in order to broach topics of racism, ignorance, stereotypes, respect, affirmation, etc. Kanigher, of course, chose to overlook the little factoid that African-Americans were still segregated during WW2 (a policy lifted for the first time during Korea where troops were integrated for the first time). . .and long-time Rock devotees like me certainly never quibbled.

A HUGE step in comics considering in the mid-50s, just the portrayal of a black astronaut was originally rejected by the Code Authority.

If you're curious about more of those stories, you can check out my (ahem) article about Jackie that appeared in the 1994 Chris Pedrin Big-5 War Comics Guide.

Where can I easily get a copy? Very interested in reading this, especially as a collector of early and key books of black characters in comics (mostly Bronze Age /"blaxplotation" period though).

Edited by akaSteveRogers

Here's my other recent Marvel western purchase.

Though not technically silver age, I recently picked up this copy of Kid Colt #1 for $70 on ebay (shown with the copy of Two-Gun Kid #60 I picked up at the Big Wow show). The Kid Colt front cover looks great but there is tape on the back cover. Even though I hate taped books, I figured I wouldn't ever be able to find an affordable copy of Kid Colt #1 that presents as well as this one. I think the tape on the back cover scared off other bidders. I was surprised that I was the only bidder.

Total investment for the Kid Colt #1 and Two-Gun Kid #60, exactly $100.

I'm very happy with both purchases.

kidcoltandtwo-gun.jpg

Are #60's coming down in value or are people just so oblivious to the issues importance?

I genuinely believe it's the latter.

Yeah I agree. People don't care about most Marvel Westerns. Most just wanna chase the next movie hyped super hero comics. Two Gun Kid #60 and Rawhide Kid #17 should be mentioned in the same breath as Amazing #1 and FF #1. 2c:sumo::insane:

Here's my other recent Marvel western purchase.

Though not technically silver age, I recently picked up this copy of Kid Colt #1 for $70 on ebay (shown with the copy of Two-Gun Kid #60 I picked up at the Big Wow show). The Kid Colt front cover looks great but there is tape on the back cover. Even though I hate taped books, I figured I wouldn't ever be able to find an affordable copy of Kid Colt #1 that presents as well as this one. I think the tape on the back cover scared off other bidders. I was surprised that I was the only bidder.

Total investment for the Kid Colt #1 and Two-Gun Kid #60, exactly $100.

I'm very happy with both purchases.

kidcoltandtwo-gun.jpg

Great pick-up on the KC #1. You don't see that one come around to often in any grade.

Not sure if I showed this before in the thread, but here is a birthday cake my kids got for me a few years ago.

photo b0a18cce-d504-4ab7-85f7-d866d681eb6c_zps19fd1228.jpg