• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

I'd have to agree that most collectors and dealers don't care about Marvel westerns or western comics in general. I think that you can still get deals on key silver age Marvel westerns because dealers don't always realize the significance of certain key issues. For example, the Two-Gun Kid #60 that I purchased for $30 at the San Jose Big Wow convention was sold to me by a pretty well-known and well-established dealer. I'm guessing he didn't realize the significance of the book or he would have probably priced it higher. I mean, it's only listed at $30 in Fine condition in the current Overstreet guide. So it just leads me to believe that key Marvel westerns are just way undervalued in general.

This discussion deserves its own thread.

Absolutely! I think Gabe Jones (of Sgt Fury) was Marvel's equivalent to Jackie Johnson right?

Jackie Johnson (from Sgt. Rock in Our Army at War) was an ongoing perennial part of Easy Company. He first appeared WAY back in OAAW #113 (buddies with Wild Man who debuted in the same ish). Jackie didn't make regular appearances until somewhat later, but Kanigher was definitely on to something as far back as Dec. 1961.

It's the first 12¢ issue for cryin' out loud!

One could argue that a black character should be able to just interact with other characters as a regular part of the plot--not always as a plot device to advance some kind of examination of social issues. The very "normalcy" of the character's presence in and of itself would have helped readers recognize his humanity all the more.

Although Jackie's first appearance is interesting because it subtly avoids the obvious questions of Jackie's inclusion, Kanigher chose to write him in, subsequently in order to broach topics of racism, ignorance, stereotypes, respect, affirmation, etc. Kanigher, of course, chose to overlook the little factoid that African-Americans were still segregated during WW2 (a policy lifted for the first time during Korea where troops were integrated for the first time). . .and long-time Rock devotees like me certainly never quibbled.

A HUGE step in comics considering in the mid-50s, just the portrayal of a black astronaut was originally rejected by the Code Authority.

If you're curious about more of those stories, you can check out my (ahem) article about Jackie that appeared in the 1994 Chris Pedrin Big-5 War Comics Guide.

Where can I easily get a copy? Very interested in reading this, especially as a collector of early and key books of black characters in comics (mostly Bronze Age /"blaxplotation" period though).

I'm not so sure "easily" is the adverb that will precede the verb "get." It might be gettable, but at a steep price. That book routinely sells (in nice grade) for more than $100.00. If you can find somebody with a ratted out copy and you just wanna read it, that might be easier, but most people like me keep their ratted out ones because they use them so often. I only have one nice copy after selling off or giving away all my other ones over the years. Let me know if you still can't find one and I'll try to scan the article to send as an attachment in a PM.

And yeah, Gabe Jones was Marvel's answer to Jackie, but that happened a couple years after Jackie's first appearance.

Mick

So you're saying Marvel just needs to make a western and boom goes the dynamite?

mT8txZG.jpg

With so many Marvel movies in recent years I was wondering if any thought has ever been given to any of the great Marvel western characters? I for one was (and still am) a big fan of Kid Colt Outlaw. I know Rawhide Kid and Two-Gun Kid were also, for many years a big part of the Marvel Universe. With the Jonah Hex movie (which I know was ) and the more recent Lone Ranger movie (also ), it seems like Marvel would defiantly have a leg up as their characters are far superior, plus this is an untapped area for Marvel. A kick azz -script is the key. One with action, humor, and a good plot (not one used a thousand times before). Think of the cool villains, like Iron Mask, the Rattler, and Red Raven. They could have cool gadgets ala Wild Wild West. And maybe even tie in with the modern Marvel Universe somehow, example: at the end of the movie they all enter an old gold mine and discover the tesseract!!!

A great idea would be to have all 3 characters in one movie, "The Mighty Marvel Western" where Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, and Two-Gun Kid would team up. Many successful westerns have done this, think Silverado, Tombstone, Young Guns, etc. A brief story on each character and why they became who they are could start the movie, "Blaine Colt framed for a murder he did not commit" and the movie is off and running. With this type of format sequels would be easy as there are countless bad guys, and I think, if done right, "The Mighty Marvel Western" could be a huge success. Heck I even know the actors: Charlie Hunnam for Kid Colt, Channing Tatum for Rawhide Kid, and Shia LaBeouf for Two Gun Kid. Are you telling me that wouldn’t be a hit? With the ladies too? And lets not forget, Stan Lee as the piano player in the saloon.

Edited by HemiGTX

So you're saying Marvel just needs to make a western and boom goes the dynamite?

mT8txZG.jpg

With so many Marvel movies in recent years I was wondering if any thought has ever been given to any of the great Marvel western characters? I for one was (and still am) a big fan of Kid Colt Outlaw. I know Rawhide Kid and Two-Gun Kid were also, for many years a big part of the Marvel Universe. With the Jonah Hex movie (which I know was ) and the more recent Lone Ranger movie (also ), it seems like Marvel would defiantly have a leg up as their characters are far superior, plus this is an untapped area for Marvel. A kick azz -script is the key. One with action, humor, and a good plot (not one used a thousand times before). Think of the cool villains, like Iron Mask, the Rattler, and Red Raven. They could have cool gadgets ala Wild Wild West. And maybe even tie in with the modern Marvel Universe somehow, example: at the end of the movie they all enter an old gold mine and discover the tesseract!!!

A great idea would be to have all 3 characters in one movie, "The Mighty Marvel Western" where Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, and Two-Gun Kid would team up. Many successful westerns have done this, think Silverado, Tomb Stone, Young Guns, etc. A brief story on each character and why they became who they are could start the movie, "Blaine Colt framed for a murder he did not commit" and the movie is off and running. With this type of format sequels would be easy as there are countless bad guys, and I think, if done right, "The Mighty Marvel Western" could be a huge success. Heck I even know the actors: Charlie Hunnam for Kid Colt, Channing Tatum for Rawhide Kid, and Shia LaBeouf for Two Gun Kid. Are you telling me that wouldn’t be a hit? With the ladies too? And lets not forget, Stan Lee as the piano player in the saloon.

..... such a cool idea Monte..... I'd "pony up" for some tickets :insane: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

mT8txZG.jpg

A great idea would be to have all 3 characters in one movie, "The Mighty Marvel Western" where Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, and Two-Gun Kid would team up. Many successful westerns have done this, think Silverado, Tomb Stone, Young Guns, etc. A brief story on each character and why they became who they are could start the movie, "Blaine Colt framed for a murder he did not commit" and the movie is off and running. With this type of format sequels would be easy as there are countless bad guys, and I think, if done right, "The Mighty Marvel Western" could be a huge success. Heck I even know the actors: Charlie Hunnam for Kid Colt, Channing Tatum for Rawhide Kid, and Shia LaBeouf for Two Gun Kid. Are you telling me that wouldn’t be a hit? With the ladies too? And lets not forget, Stan Lee as the piano player in the saloon.

..... such a cool idea Monte..... I'd "pony up" for some tickets :insane: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Let's write a -script jimbo. Make millions, then we could afford all of the comics we want......

Are #60's coming down in value or are people just so oblivious to the issues importance?

I genuinely believe it's the latter.

Yeah I agree. People don't care about most Marvel Westerns. Most just wanna chase the next movie hyped super hero comics. Two Gun Kid #60 and Rawhide Kid #17 should be mentioned in the same breath as Amazing #1 and FF #1. 2c:sumo::insane:

I'll buy that! Especially since I have them all!

To be fair, I don't think they have quite the same significance but they're as enjoyable as any other early Lee/Kirby SA Marvel.

Due for a bump here, and since I just got in a few (thanks, iggy!), I can share a little tidbit that caught my eye.

From Gunsmoke Western #63, I present Hulk Hogan!

<a  href=100_0565_zpsde0e1ffa.jpg' alt='100_0565_

Edited by KirbyJack

Due for a bump here, and since I just got in a few (thanks, iggy!), I can share a little tidbit that caught my eye.

From Gunsmoke Western #63, I present Hulk Hogan!

100_0565_zpsde0e1ffa.jpg

I always enjoy photos of interior art.