• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I'm not knocking the Larry's Variant, but there's got to be more than 1000 of them.

Based on what?

I am confidant that the print run is the advertised 1000 copies. I am involved in dealing with Larry's variants (started in 2009) and would not make that claim if I felt otherwise. If you want to question my word on it (which is absolutely your prerogative) and have information I should know about, I'm all ears.

5/13 Walking Dead #61: 23,902 copies

6/3 Chew #1: 5,246 copies

7/1 Chew #1: 2nd Print: 3,685 copies

7/15 Walking Dead #63: 23,985 copies

8/5 Chew #1: Larry's Variant: 1,000 copies

8/5 Chew #1 3rd Print: 4,576 copies

9/2 Chew #1 Last Bite Issue: ????? copies

I hope this helps :grin:

I might be wrong with 3rd Print numbers. Comichron didn't report a Chew 3rd Print for August, but had a Chew #1 in September. I just assumed it was the Third Print, because I barely remember someone reported the Final Bite Edition having a low print number.

I am a completist with my title's #1 issue too, so I'm taking your books very seriously :sumo:.

DSC078661.jpg

So please dont "chew" me out if I am wrong. lol

I'm not knocking the Larry's Variant, but there's got to be more than 1000 of them.

Based on what?

I am confidant that the print run is the advertised 1000 copies. I am involved in dealing with Larry's variants (started in 2009) and would not make that claim if I felt otherwise. If you want to question my word on it (which is absolutely your prerogative) and have information I should know about, I'm all ears.

I don't know about the Chew variant, but I DO believe there are more than the stated 1K Invincible 1 variants out there. There are a ton of them on ebay and used to be even more. Sorry, but if there was only 1K of these books, the majority would already be in private collections and not trading hands all the time.

I tend not to believe whatever numbers Larry's comics puts out there. I don't have any evidence (and who would besides Larry's and the printers), but from what I see, I believe his numbers to be bogus.

Based on what?

I don't know about the Chew variant, but I DO believe there are more than the stated 1K Invincible 1 variants out there. There are a ton of them on ebay and used to be even more. Sorry, but if there was only 1K of these books, the majority would already be in private collections and not trading hands all the time.

I tend not to believe whatever numbers Larry's comics puts out there. I don't have any evidence (and who would besides Larry's and the printers), but from what I see, I believe his numbers to be bogus.

I had no involvement with any variants prior to 2009, however I will make this statement:

I will vouch for advertised prints runs of Larry's Comics variants that have been printed since 2009.

Please tell me what you see about the Chew book to indicate otherwise.

There are only 49 copies of the Larry's graded. that's a pretty low number if the book was a high print run, especially compared to other printings.

Based on what?

I'm not trying to insult you on this or question your word. It's just the perception I got knowing just how many copies of that book have passed through my home either to me or on their way to others, the amount that have been for sale on these boards, and the amount that have been available on eBay. The perception presented is that either the print run was higher than 1K or there has been a lot of churn on that specific book.

You've never done anything to make me doubt your word, so I'll assume that it's the latter and that there has been a large churn rate on that specific book.

Edited by shortstack comics

Based on what?

I had no involvement with any variants prior to 2009, however I will make this statement:

I will vouch for advertised prints runs of Larry's Comics variants that have been printed since 2009.

Nothing. Since the Invincible #1, I've completely stopped paying attention to the books Larry's puts out as "variants". I don't care to buy them. It's good to see he has a voucher on stuff he recenlty got printed though.

Based on what?

I agree with Andrew. As a New England collector, I have been around to these shops like Larry's, Double Midnight and Jetpack, quite few times. You would think they would sell out after 1,000, but they don't sell as well as you would think. These are exclusive books to Larry's only. The sad truth is Larry probably has 3-4 box fulls of these(out of the original 1K) still in a backroom or storage locker in Lowell still waiting for a home, despite Chew's popularity.

What you have to be worried about and I am sure Andrew can back me up on this is, with comic books with 1K print runs, usually the last 200+ are junky in quality. Meaning there are probably 750 books or less of these out there of high quality.

There are only 49 copies of the Larry's graded. that's a pretty low number if the book was a high print run, especially compared to other printings.

And I don't know if that includes the Guillory signing that I accepted several copies of this book to be SSed plus had some SSed as well, so if/when the census is updated there may be duplicate copies(I'm pretty sure I returned the labels with the books though).***

Look, I understand people have an issue with the source, and hopefully those concerns can be alleviated. Larry has been aggressive in trying to provide a product that people can get interested in and has offered some great opportunities as well- the Charles Wilson III signing, and the rescheduled Rob Guillory signing (which was originally supposed to happen with the release of the variant, got rescheduled and was a lot of fun). I have also been involved in this process and am comfortable making concrete statements about print runs and such.

***On a separate note, I received the books back this week and have to go through them thoroughly, there were some cracked slabs in the shipment from CGC. :(

A local company had their logo printed on a comic book, There was suppose to be a print run of 1,000 of that copy with his store logo.

He had all 1,000 copies and was told by the publisher he was not to sell any of the books until date of release which was still about a month away.

He had a signing in his store w/ the artist and writer 2 days after the release date.

Here is the million dollar statement. All 1,000 copies were still all together in a box in his back room until the day of signing.

What my friend was unable to figure out was the day before the signing, his book w/ his store logo was being offered for sale on ebay somewhere in Texas.

So did somebody who maybe did the printing make a few extra? Is that possible?

Based on what?

I'm not trying to insult you on this or question your word. It's just the perception I got knowing just how many copies of that book have passed through my home either to me or on their way to others, the amount that have been for sale on these boards, and the amount that have been available on eBay. The perception presented is that either the print run was higher than 1K or there has been a lot of churn on that specific book.

You've never done anything to make me doubt your word, so I'll assume that it's the latter and that there has been a large churn rate on that specific book.

This might be the case, add up all the ebay sales and I can say it's a far cry from 1000 individual copies. I believe GPA that shows the same book being sold twice this week for the same price...on the same day!

And I don't know if that includes the Guillory signing that I accepted several copies of this book to be SSed plus had some SSed as well, so if/when the census is updated there may be duplicate copies(I'm pretty sure I returned the labels with the books though).***

Two from me ;)

Look, I understand people have an issue with the source, and hopefully those concerns can be alleviated. Larry has been aggressive in trying to provide a product that people can get interested in and has offered some great opportunities as well- the Charles Wilson III signing, and the rescheduled Rob Guillory signing (which was originally supposed to happen with the release of the variant, got rescheduled and was a lot of fun). I have also been involved in this process and am comfortable making concrete statements about print runs and such.

From my standpoint, my thoughts weren't based on any opinion of the source what-so-ever. This book was the first purchase I ever made from Larry's and I didn't hear of other peoples' opinions until after that. Again, just a perception thing on how many of them I've seen for sale, but I understand both your and Jerel's points.

***On a separate note, I received the books back this week and have to go through them thoroughly, there were some cracked slabs in the shipment from CGC. :(

Damn CGC :frustrated:

What you as the Chew collectors have to realize is that out of estimated 15,000+ Chew #1 books in multiple printings(not counting WD #63), there are less than 1,000 completists to your title. They are not interested in the Larry's variant to buy them out, because they are not readily available everywhere.

:sorry:

It's the same with my title's Jetpack variant.

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

What you as the Chew collectors have to realize is that out of estimated 15,000+ Chew #1 books in multiple printings(not counting WD #63), there are less than 1,000 completists to your title. They are not interested in the Larry's variant to buy them out.

:sorry:

Good point. I was a completist buying all the printings until that Larry's book came out. I think it's still the only book that I don't have..... Well, that and the Larry's Art of Chew skectchbook. Now, I'm out as a Chew completist.

Good point. I was a completist buying all the printings until that Larry's book came out. I think it's still the only book that I don't have.....

I have two :whee:

A 9.9 and a 9.8 SS.