• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

John Layman tells Bleeding Cool;

Some dude, “Mr. Retro”, is selling “Chew Art Prints” for $29 on Amazon, and we’re asking people NOT to buy them. Not only are they not authorized, they are not even art prints. The are ripped-up pages of CHEW Omnivore edition, and they are signed by Rob and I, but NOT for the purposes of resale.

The story: In late January, at Wizard World New Orleans attended by both John Layman and Rob Guillory, a gentlemen approached us to sign a stack of ripped up Omnivore Edition pages. It seemed weird to tear up a hardcover to sign individual pages, but at comic cons you meet all sorts of people, and get a multitude of odd requests. Rob had met the person with the pages at a previous show, and we had assurances the signed pages were being given to friends and customers– the operative word being GIVEN. We were led to believe, naively in retrospect, this guy Mr. Retro was giving them to CHEW fans and readers at his store.

I guess we’re still at a point where we try not to be to the people we think are our fans, though this incident is clearly evidence we need to take a harder line so we don’t get taken advantage of. We signed and signed and signed. And when we had signed through a pretty hefty pile of pages, the guy came back with ANOTHER stack of pages. We started to get a really skeevy vibe off this dude, but by then the damage has been done.

And lo and behold, now the guy is selling these ripped-up TPB pages as “signed art prints,” WHICH THEY ARE NOT. They are nothing more than ripped-up pages from our Omnivore editions, signed by the two of us under false pretense.

Agreed! Looks awesome!

I really enjoy this series. Definitely looking forward to 25 and the focus on my favourite character. :)

Also looking forward to changing my sig line next week. :whee: