• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

Should "no reserves" be broadened to mandate all auctions to start (whatever the bid increments) at $1.00? That would make things fairly straightforward, yes?

No. I should be able to choose my own starting price, no matter what.

-slym

You can...on eBay.

Bingo

$1 start should be mandatory

Don't like the risk, don't post an auction here. 2c

Not sure it is fair (or legal) to mandate market pricing on anything...

I am with Slym, starting price should be at the seller's discretion. If it is too high, no one bids. (shrug) Purchases go both ways.

No disrespect to anyone, but this site doesn't solely exist to give people deals on comics. I hate the newbie first post sales and the ridiculous asking prices as well, but that is part of being an American - capitalism! (thumbs u

A mandatory $1.00 starting bid is not mandating market pricing, since the result of the auction is the actual sale price, and there is no set value for anything beyond what the market will bear.

If someone looks at their book and says "You know, I've got $200 in this book, and if I run a $1.00 auction I'm not so sure I'm going to get that back" than that is not the fault of the auction format. If one is looking to be patient, and wait for the right buyer, to realize the best price, than make a normal sales listing with a BIN or best offer. 2c

Should "no reserves" be broadened to mandate all auctions to start (whatever the bid increments) at $1.00? That would make things fairly straightforward, yes?

You can...on eBay.

Or, I could here, too.

:)

-slym

Actually, the sales forums are a gift to us, not a right. I for one, am grateful that we can do anything. Some people forget that the sales forums were an add on to the regular forums, not the reverse.

I don't love the auction trend, but since we have it, It would be nice if we had an auction subforum. I would be fine with a $1 start, IF I ever decided to do an auction. As it is now, if I decide to do auctions, I go to eBay, that way I get the traffic from here and there. I think the $1 no bin, no reserve rule would prevent a flood of new sellers who are just here to sell.

My preference would be no auctions unless they are for a charity sale. I just think they are a disaster waiting to happen.

I like the one post per item format for buying or selling. Sometimes I like to be able to quote the book, so there are no misunderstandings later

When I sell, sometimes my threads get busy and it would be very difficult to sort out who wants what if I had more than one book per post. The only time I have more than one book per post is when I'm posting numerically and I forget to include one and add it later.

Paperheart is very organized, I love his threads, but we all have different styles..

As for long sales threads. While I find them somewhat difficult to page through, I think the people doing them are doing a great job of NOT taking up a lot of real estate. I don't see what the problem is, bumping to add books is fine. I much prefer that to people who start 6 different threads a week.

You can...on eBay.

Or, I could here, too.

Of course...you couldn't, under the hypothetical "no reserve" auction rules structure that most of us are proposing as part of a middle ground solution...which is what we're talking about.

It would be perfectly fine with me if Arch straight-up banned auctions here...perhaps that's what he should do.

Actually, the sales forums are a gift to us, not a right. I for one, am grateful that we can do anything. Some people forget that the sales forums were an add on to the regular forums, not the reverse.

I don't love the auction trend, but since we have it, It would be nice if we had an auction subforum. I would be fine with a $1 start, IF I ever decided to do an auction. As it is now, if I decide to do auctions, I go to eBay, that way I get the traffic from here and there. I think the $1 no bin, no reserve rule would prevent a flood of new sellers who are just here to sell.

My preference would be no auctions unless they are for a charity sale. I just think they are a disaster waiting to happen.

I like the one post per item format for buying or selling. Sometimes I like to be able to quote the book, so there are no misunderstandings later

When I sell, sometimes my threads get busy and it would be very difficult to sort out who wants what if I had more than one book per post. The only time I have more than one book per post is when I'm posting numerically and I forget to include one and add it later.

Paperheart is very organized, I love his threads, but we all have different styles..

As for long sales threads. While I find them somewhat difficult to page through, I think the people doing them are doing a great job of NOT taking up a lot of real estate. I don't see what the problem is, bumping to add books is fine. I much prefer that to people who start 6 different threads a week.

Totally agree, a sales thread is a privilege, not a right. People take it for granted, period.

I would rather there be no auctions then force people to sell in an exact format.

I think people are just being greedy around here and want the opportunity to snag a deal versus allowing an open marketplace do its job. If we keep pushing it, the sales threads will all disappear.

-slym

You can...on eBay.

Bingo

Not sure it is fair (or legal) to mandate market pricing on anything...

I am with Slym, starting price should be at the seller's discretion. If it is too high, no one bids. (shrug) Purchases go both ways.

No disrespect to anyone, but this site doesn't solely exist to give people deals on comics. I hate the newbie first post sales and the ridiculous asking prices as well, but that is part of being an American - capitalism! (thumbs u

A mandatory $1.00 starting bid is not mandating market pricing, since the result of the auction is the actual sale price, and there is no set value for anything beyond what the market will bear.

If someone looks at their book and says "You know, I've got $200 in this book, and if I run a $1.00 auction I'm not so sure I'm going to get that back" than that is not the fault of the auction format. If one is looking to be patient, and wait for the right buyer, to realize the best price, than make a normal sales listing with a BIN or best offer. 2c

:eyeroll:

Or, they should be able to do an auction where they set the minimum price they need to feel comfortable moving forward.

You can't dictate how someone buys a book, why should you be able to do it to a seller?

Give me a break. Sales go both ways, if you don't like an auction that has a minimum then don't bid.

I would rather there be no auctions then force people to sell in an exact format.

*OK, HERE WE GO....WALL OF TEXT WARNING!*

I wouldn’t blame Arch at all if he indeed decided to ban auctions…after all, there are some parallels between the auction situation and the raffle situation that came up a short while back – the result of the raffle discussion was the banning of raffles, primarily due to the fact that there are many complexities in the laws regarding raffle licensure. Arch understandably wanted to steer clear of these legal complexities.

It turns out that auctions also have complex, time-varying and state-varying licensure requirements. The discussions are in flux because online auctions don’t conveniently fit into traditional “auctioneer” structures that most current regulations were based upon. Also, most of the discussions are about people who auction property that belongs to someone else, but the discussion occasionally migrates into people who auction their own property.

Here are just a couple of examples, but just Google something like “auction license regulations” and you’ll see a ton of this type of stuff:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/business/yourmoney/04ebay.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/auc/pdf/OpenForumHB3038.pdf (see item #3)

eBay seems to spend quite a bit of energy fighting the progression of auction regulations, and I’ve seen some discussion that eBay auctions should be exempt from certain requirements because of aspects of their technology (e.g., auctions automatically have a forced end point, rather than being ended by an auction “caller”). Given that the boards do not possess auction software, it could be the case that many of the issues eBay circumvents are in a more gray area here.

As another illustration of potential concern using a random state as an example, here are a couple excerpts from North Carolina’s Auctioneers Law (Chapter 85B of the General Statutes - bold text is by me, for emphasis):

Auction Firm” means a sole proprietorship of which the owner is not a licensed auctioneer, or any partnership, association, or corporation, not otherwise exempt from this Chapter, that sells either directly or through agents, real or personal property at auction, or that arranges, sponsors, manages, conducts or advertises auctions, or that in the regular course of business uses or allows the use of its facilities for auctions. This definition applies whether or not an owner or officer of the business acts as an auctioneer.”…… “An auction firm must be licensed by the Board even though no owner or officer of the firm acts as an auctioneer. To be licensed an auction firm must make the contribution to the Fund as required by G.S. 85B-4.1 and must pay the proper fees as set out in G.S. 85B-6. Auction firms are covered by the provisions of G.S. 85B-8.”

This is just for the sake of discussion. I'm not a lawyer, and I certainly don’t know all of the legal technicalities that Arch may (or may not) want to worry about with respect to allowing auctions. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t blame Arch at all if he wanted to steer clear of these legal complications, just as he did with raffles.

Finally, I certainly don't want auction complexities to threaten the existence of the traditional marketplace here as it has always existed. Perhaps steering clear of auctions will help preserve the longevity of our traditional marketplace.

P.S. I'm just guessing, but perhaps these issues are why marketplaces in other online forums often forbid auctions. For example, the first one I went to to check is rebelscum.com. Here's an excerpt from their "Trading and Selling Rules" (link http://www.rebelscum.com/forumselling.asp ):

"*NEW: As this forum is Star Wars collecting focused, transactions are limited in type to the following:

- Members may only offer to sell or trade Star Wars items they own.

- Trade offers must include a Star Wars item on one side of the trade.

- Members may also post want-to-buy messages, however, it must be for a Star Wars item.

*No auctioning is permitted. That means you cannot make a post stating that you will take offers and sell the item to the highest bidder."

-slym

You can...on eBay.

Bingo

Not sure it is fair to mandate pricing on anything...

..... I'm with this. I don't plan on auctioning anything, but I'm not trying to grandstand someone else's affairs. It's a free market here and we don't HAVE to participate. When my threads drop off the first page I usually chalk it up to a failure on my part to provide better selections. IMHO.... there's way too much overthinking going on with this issue here. Arch and Company have this place set up with self policing.... but then people whine when there's not more oversight..... yet people balk at any cost increases to CGC's revenue streams that would be necessary to fund more oversight. For those who aren't already aware..... the "Perfect World" is next door..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Moving this out of Claudio's sales thread and over here for more discussion, if so desired:

.... I actually liked Yoddler's story better than mine...... it seemed like the work of a published author...... I imagine ranking the stories was difficult..... I liked 'em all..... GOD BLESS.....

The whole concept of the seller choosing the bidder he prefers is alien to me, never seen an auction like this before!

Link back to Claudio's sales thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8295722#Post8295722

I thought the idea was interesting, but definitely brings back into focus the previous discussion in this here thread about auction rules, etc...

I think people are just being greedy around here and want the opportunity to snag a deal versus allowing an open marketplace do its job. If we keep pushing it, the sales threads will all disappear.

And you nailed it. Wolverine could not have done so better… (thumbs u

The rules were clearly stated at the beginning of the thread for all participants to understand them. His store front, his rules.

It's unusual but I thought it was a terrific idea and made for a fun thread.

...... I've always preferred this interpretation of the Sales Forum..... it's the freedom to approach a sales thread in your own way that separates this place from eBay. I think there are enough rules in the Sales Forum already..... each one necessary for it's obvious reasons...... but plenty. I've never really understood what all the fuss was..... the Probation factor I get...... but I just don't see what's so wrong with the rest of it. 2c GOD BLESS....

..... an auction ending at 9:00 ends at 9:00, not 9:00:59..... IMHO.

Please take a look at my 400 plus lot of silver age comics for sale

they are from the Sunday Pix series by David Cook. Traditionally they were given at bible school studies. Great set in very good condition.

On sale on ebay under user name keife-trace

thanks for looking hope to see someone get them for their collection. Thanks.

Valiant $20 Slab Sale

I have over 50 high grade slabs in my eBay store listed for auction starting at $19.99. Nearly all of them are Valiant 9.8s. A few others as well. Gold books, first appearances, limited variants, etc. Notable books are an Eternal Warrior 4 and Rai 0, both in 9.8. Auctions end Sunday evening.

I did this about a year ago and it was really fun. I blew through a lot of my inventory, and some folks got some really cool slabs for great prices.

If you've been on the fence, here's your chance to pull the trigger.

http://stores.ebay.com/hickorycanyon/

Best,

Steve

This thread is in the forum selling only section. Posting ebay links isn't appropriate.

he doesn't care about the rules