• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I don't care for auctions in the for sale forums. The format clogs up real estate which is already clogged with too many pointless or sneaky thread bumps.

I ran a few and tried to keep them simple, and only bumped them myself once in the last few hours.

If they are going to be continued to be allowed in any form, then I think a sub-forum and some rules would be beneficial.

If it becomes a mess or too much of a burden on mods, then Arch can just get rid of it.

hm i actually look at this auction format as a way to get around the "rules" regarding thread bumps. love em or hate em, they should be put in their own sub-forum 2c

I get the reluctance. I understand the fear that it will draw eBay types here that could affect the community. However, I find it ironic because the place has become loaded with tools already, particularly the selling forums. There are quite a few shady types actually pulling the wool over heads and passing themselves to some as decent members of the community. I used to sell here almost exclusively. I've gotten to where I prefer eBay. At least the tools there pay more.

If an auction sub-forum will draw in undesirables. At least everyone will know where they are, and simply don't visit that part of the forums. Don't browse, don't bid, don't list, don't click on it.

Until they decide to move to the other selling forums and offer up mystery boxes or "hot books" at VF grades that are far from it when they come in water stained on the inside...

I get the reluctance. I understand the fear that it will draw eBay types here that could affect the community. However, I find it ironic because the place has become loaded with tools already, particularly the selling forums. There are quite a few shady types actually pulling the wool over heads and passing themselves to some as decent members of the community. I used to sell here almost exclusively. I've gotten to where I prefer eBay. At least the tools there pay more.

If an auction sub-forum will draw in undesirables. At least everyone will know where they are, and simply don't visit that part of the forums. Don't browse, don't bid, don't list, don't click on it.

Until they decide to move to the other selling forums and offer up mystery boxes or "hot books" at VF grades that are far from it when they come in water stained on the inside...

Again, when they get no response, or their posts get deleted or locked they will move along. It's always worked that way here.

Again, when they get no response, or their posts get deleted or locked they will move along. It's always worked that way here.

I find it ironic because the place has become loaded with tools already, particularly the selling forums. There are quite a few shady types actually pulling the wool over heads and passing themselves to some as decent members of the community. I used to sell here almost exclusively. I've gotten to where I prefer eBay. At least the tools there pay more.

You are contradicting yourself. Saying that you don't sell here cause of the tools yet we know that adding the action thread will cause:

More people to come

The people that do come won't bother to read the rules

Post without following the rules they didn't read

Move to the other sales sections and repeat

The selling threads are already having difficulty monitoring and keeping in check as is with issues like: "standard rules", mystery boxes, auctions, krapping, "mixed thread", grading etc etc etc

Edited by iceman399

I predict an auction only thread will not last long. The people selling will get sniped to death and they will move back over to the BIN thread to sell books. I've only seen a few auctions end above the typical BIN prices and most books go for a steal.

There just are not enough people on the boards to justify a straight auction thread. If auctions are a dying breed on E-Bay then why would they work here where there are far less people.

I'm saying those people come and go. There could me more drawn in by a free place to auction. Either way they come and a certain percentage stay.

eBay has way less true auctions than BIN listings for comics. Is there really going to be an influx of these dreaded eBay types to a place where they have to have an opening bid if $1 and no reserve? What would be the draw for them?

Sure some will come that don't bother reading the rules and the mods can deal with it. If it becomes overwhelming then they can eliminate it.

I 'me not against auctions and don't fear these eBay types flooding the place. I really don't care if an auction forum is created, to be honest, but there either needs to be a rule against them or a separate place for them.

Sadly true. The dynamic of this place has changed dramatically over the last few years.

If they are going to be continued to be allowed in any form, then I think a sub-forum and some rules would be beneficial.

Agree 100%. If there is a genuine need for auction-type sales it should be in a sub-forum and away from the main selling forum. Otherwise the whole forum will become one bump-fest. ( which is good when it's 70s disco night but not so much for selling and buying funny books)

Sadly true. The dynamic of this place has changed dramatically over the last few years.

Understatement.

Whether we predict an auctions thread will not last long or not there still needs to be a seperate sub-forum for them or for them to banned. Otherwise within a month the potential is there for 500 auctions a day to be here with every person on ebay starting one.

Middas well get the pain over with now while things are slow before it gets out of control and Arch is stuck with damage clean-up in the regular sales threads.

My nickel's worth:

1.One thread at a time. (as someone pointed out can always relax this to say three threads later if this is successful)

2.Limit of 5 or 10 auctions per thread. No limit on amount of items in an auction (however for clarity, all items must start at the same time and end at the same time) Once the auctions are over the thread gets closed by seller and nobody posts to them (this includes not posting congrats to seller etc. In fact I would say limit auction threads to the seller posting the items and to bids only. No comments like nice books etc as that will just clutter.

3.No reserve, a BIN is up to seller

4.Bid increments of at least a $1 or it could get ricidulous with people out pennying each other

5.Bumping - A seller must recap his thread with latest bids on each item once per day - in other words if you're going to list stuff in auction format don't go out of town. Recapping/bumping in the last 8 hours should be fine as well. If there are no bids then no recap, except for final 8 hours.

6. Sellers should have a minimum post AND time on forum count - there really needs to be some limit here or we'll have every fly by night scammer from ebay on here. Newbies may not like it but it's the COST of getting a free auction and it's a way of keeping poor Arch sane.

7.No mystery boxes

8.Auction duration 1-7 days

9.As someone else mentioned title must include end time

Maybe Arch could put some stuff to a vote over a week period as there will be a thousand opinions.

I agree also that this place has drawn in undesirables. I used to participate in general, water cooler, probation etc. But with the drama I now don't bother. However I still love this forum and there are many great people on here, some I've met.

If people don't like the auction sub-forum idea I think they should just ignore it as I've chosen to do with threads I don't like.

Am I missing the huge number of auctions in the sales forum? I see a few pop up but I don't see many people trying it again after they see the results.

I think everyone is worrying about nothing. The E-Bay masses would have ventured over already if they wanted to and I do not think auction threads will entice them to make the jump.

Am I missing the huge number of auctions in the sales forum? I see a few pop up but I don't see many people trying it again after they see the results.

I think everyone is worrying about nothing. The E-Bay masses would have ventured over already if they wanted to and I do not think auction threads will entice them to make the jump.

As I was saying, the potential is there for a large increase.

Right now I'm sure a lot of board members are waiting to see how things play out with rules etc.

Ebay has changed it's rules recently leading to a potential influx.

Auctions have only started recently, as word gets out to ebayers there will be more.

Joey, As of now auctions ARE being allowed, so what is the actual harm in creating a sub-forum for them. At least it keeps the drama out the regular selling threads. In other words creating a new sub-forum will not create/release more drama, it will just move any drama assoc with auctions to a different place. If they don't work Arch can just shut it down.

Edited by comicnut

As I was saying, the potential is there for a large increase.

Right now I'm sure a lot of board members are waiting to see how things play out with rules etc.

Ebay has changed it's rules recently leading to a potential influx.

Auctions have only started recently, as word gets out to ebayers there will be more.

Joey, As of now auctions ARE being allowed, so what is the actual harm in creating a sub-forum for them. At least it keeps the drama out the regular selling threads. In other words creating a new sub-forum will not create/release more drama, it will just move any drama assoc with auctions to a different place. If they don't work Arch can just shut it down.

I usually ignore them. Still, it would be like opening the door to more drama.

I really don't see the drove of unscrupulous sellers coming here that some of you are fearing. As has been mentioned several times, the standards won't benefit them. If they don't follow the standards, their efforts will get yanked, and they won't bother anymore.

I doubt it will even be nearly as popular as the regular sales forums.

However, sometimes a seller may just want whatever they can get for an item but would still like to get as much as possible, which results in a good deal for the buyer usually.

Sure they could list it and keep dropping the price till it sells. That still results in an excessive amount of thread bumps and serves pretty much the same purpose. At least in an auction everyone has a fair shot at a deal. We've all logged on to see we just missed a great buy to someone we despise.

I ran a few successful auctions and would like to run some more, but I felt guilty every time the thread was bumped for a one dollar bid. It's annoying enough when Roy bumps his threads to say a book sold when he could have just edited the post, and all of the other sneaky tricks sellers use to bump their threads.

I'd like to run some auctions here, but don't want to clog up front page real estate in the for sale forums with a bunch of $1 bids being posted. So a separate forum would be nice.