• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

I meant no insult to anyone. So RMA, I apologize. I am not here to argue or upset anyone. I appreciate the company and knowledge of members on this board.

And Mike's Rack.. I was referring to the suggestive comment that taking a stand bothered me. That, I feel is rude.

It was a question, not a suggestive comment. Telling someone you don't know to "calm down" and to not get "over excited", especially when you have no way of knowing their emotional state, is quite a bit further down the rude path than asking a question. No one here is "upset." Using such words and phrases around grown men is apt to make them annoyed; thus the explanation.

And regardless of who it is, if anyone makes a comment that implies or states that eBay/Paypal...or anyone...deserves to be cheated of their rightfully earned money, for whatever reason, I will say something about it. This board will not maintain merely a veneer of integrity if I can help it at all.

That said, apology accepted.

I also understand peoples feelings towards the evil, corporate juggernaut, known as eBay. They take way too much money off of their customers, and they fleece people via PayPal, but I agree with RMA saying that if you are not happy with their prices or policies.. don't use them.

:sick:

eBay/Paypal are a nasty, nasty, vicious set of corporations that hide behind an army of lawyers and contradictory "policy." I long for the day when they go down in flames. Nasty places.

Sadly, because of that army of lawyers, they've eliminated pretty much all competition. Sigh.

Well it arrived.

In a padded envelope, in a ZIPLOC bag lol

It looks in relatively good shape, there is a ding on the top corner, and the bottom staple looks like it might have a bit of rust on it....a little bit of a black scuff mark on the back.

Pages are unbelievably white. Cover and back are really glossy and shiny.

I dunno what grade it would be, but doesnt look all that bad. Will post scans when have some time

Talking about it made me really look at it again.

There is defiantly rust on the staples, there is a tiny bit of rust on the inside from the staples as well.

Still not too bad for being stored in a envelope in a attic for 20 some odd years....

Who wants to hear my email correspondence with the seller? :D It's quite entertaining....

:hi:

Here ya go chief! (*Note, my comments quickly turn inflammatory after his second email about 'getting what I deserve', but this dialogue should be good for a few laughs).

Why was this auction ended early?

I got a "buy it now offer" way above my expectations. I had bascially 3 bidders, two seemed serious. One of them made the offer. Why didn't you make a bid? If I bring out another one would you make a "buy it now" offer?

I only use snipe bids on ebay auctions. Are you talking about bringing out a different one than you just ended? I'm confused, do you have more than the three copies?

Guess you answered your own question. If you cannot come forward and make a proper offer and choose to bid at the end of an auction, then you got what you deserve.

I guess snipes are beyond your comprehension, it is a bid. And thank you for confirming what I already suspected; you're clearly dishonest. You blatantly circumvent the rules of eBay, and out-an-out lie regarding condition. If you truly believe this book is an 8.5-9+, you're either very uninformed, or very crooked. I guess you took a break from running the carnival games at the local fair, to rip people off online.

You're ignorance is beyond reproach. My wife is currently in the hospital and I cannot continue to babysit auctions and whiners like yourself. I took a price from the highest bidder.

I understand what snipe bids are, I understand they are legal on eBay. I find them to be dishonest, just as you find myself to be dishonest. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to bid or took the time to contact me for an offer.

Good day to you.

How are snipes dishonest? It's a bid, the time placed has no relevance. You should learn some basic understanding of markets and how they work.

I really find it amusing how you manipulate ebay to gain exposure of this book, and then go off ebay to avoid paying all fees the website generated, meanwhile the buyer assumes all risk involved in the transaction. Well done, Barnum! Clearly you have no financial integrity.

One final thought of discourse; my girlfriend is in her final year of residency in psychiatry, if you'd like I can negotiate a structured-deal for your mental conditions. Think of the royalty streams if you become part of a case study? :)

I have no need to explain myself to you or anyone else.

Most crooks plead the fifth, I understand.

The guy is a 73 year old man....defiantly not in good taste...

Maybe in hindsight, but when I asked if there were other copies (his comment was somewhat confusing), he responded with 'you get what you deserve'. That comment really hit a nerve, and I wasn't going to back-down.

Well it arrived.

It looks in relatively good shape, there is a ding on the top corner, and the bottom staple looks like it might have a bit of rust on it....a little bit of a black scuff mark on the back.

I dunno what grade it would be, but doesnt look all that bad. Will post scans when have some time

It's good the book arrived, because you took tremendous risk going outside ebay.

But how is that book a 9.0+?

I also understand peoples feelings towards the evil, corporate juggernaut, known as eBay. They take way too much money off of their customers, and they fleece people via PayPal, but I agree with RMA saying that if you are not happy with their prices or policies.. don't use them.

eBay/Paypal are a nasty, nasty, vicious set of corporations that hide behind an army of lawyers and contradictory "policy." I long for the day when they go down in flames. Nasty places.

Sadly, because of that army of lawyers, they've eliminated pretty much all competition. Sigh.

And McDonald's recently came out and suggested their employees apply for food stamps in lieu of higher wages. I find it incredulous they would have the audacity to publicize taxpayer-subsidized corporate profits. Does that mean I can go in there and steal some food, or damage their property?

And McDonald's recently came out and suggested their employees apply for food stamps in lieu of higher wages. I find it incredulous they would have the audacity to publicize taxpayer-subsidized corporate profits. Does that mean I can go in there and steal some food, or damage their property?

+1

Well it arrived.

It's good the book arrived, because you took tremendous risk going outside ebay.

No idea, I haven't gone in depth with the grading process. To me I would say its around a 8.5. But I will not or cannot say anything for sure. I am not good at that kind of thing. Do I think it's worth the price I paid....well, depends on how rare these actually turn out to be. If these 3 plus the other few I know of turn out to be the only ones, well its totally worth it. If all the other 99 show up...then no, I want a better copy lol

You tell me

Edited by MetalPSI

I take a real risk with dealing with anyone.

So far I have made four purchases on this board. Two have completed, and I couldn't be more happy with the results. The other two are still in transaction....if these fall through, will it deter me?

Yes....yes it would. Would I cry off ever trusting someone outside of eBay again? Never.

People are people. I tend to think of myself as a good judge of character and keep a level head about what I want and what I am paying for and what risk I am willing to take. Everyone makes mistakes. Just because I make a mistake doesn't mean I will just sit back and never engage again. Thats just lunacy.

Well it arrived.

No idea, I haven't gone in depth with the grading process. To me I would say its around a 8.5. But I will not or cannot say anything for sure. I am not good at that kind of thing. Do I think it's worth the price I paid....well, depends on how rare these actually turn out to be. If these 3 plus the other few I know of turn out to be the only ones, well its totally worth it. If all the other 99 show up...then no, I want a better copy lol

You tell me

With migrating rust and all the damage you can see, that is a 6.0-6.5

Well it arrived.

You tell me

There you have it...not great, but what can you do :shrug:

Well it arrived.

You tell me

Return it because the guy couldn't be bothered to state that it had rust, which any non-comic person, even my mom, could figure out is not a good thing....?

It's not worth what you paid for it with rusty staples, regardless of how rare. Rust is destructive; once it starts, it is difficult to stop, and impossible to reverse.

Well it arrived.

You tell me

Return it because the guy couldn't be bothered to state that it had rust, which any non-comic person, even my mom, could figure out is not a good thing....?

It's not worth what you paid for it with rusty staples, regardless of how rare. Rust is destructive; once it starts, it is difficult to stop, and impossible to reverse.

meh, I am going to return it just so someone else can have it, or worse, have it kept in that climate so its totally worthless? No, I'll take care of it, try to find another.

Who wants to hear my email correspondence with the seller? :D It's quite entertaining....

Here ya go chief! (*Note, my comments quickly turn inflammatory after his second email about 'getting what I deserve', but this dialogue should be good for a few laughs).

I got a "buy it now offer" way above my expectations. I had bascially 3 bidders, two seemed serious. One of them made the offer. Why didn't you make a bid? If I bring out another one would you make a "buy it now" offer?

I only use snipe bids on ebay auctions. Are you talking about bringing out a different one than you just ended? I'm confused, do you have more than the three copies?

Guess you answered your own question. If you cannot come forward and make a proper offer and choose to bid at the end of an auction, then you got what you deserve.

I guess snipes are beyond your comprehension, it is a bid. And thank you for confirming what I already suspected; you're clearly dishonest. You blatantly circumvent the rules of eBay, and out-an-out lie regarding condition. If you truly believe this book is an 8.5-9+, you're either very uninformed, or very crooked. I guess you took a break from running the carnival games at the local fair, to rip people off online.

You're ignorance is beyond reproach. My wife is currently in the hospital and I cannot continue to babysit auctions and whiners like yourself. I took a price from the highest bidder.

I understand what snipe bids are, I understand they are legal on eBay. I find them to be dishonest, just as you find myself to be dishonest. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to bid or took the time to contact me for an offer.

Good day to you.

How are snipes dishonest? It's a bid, the time placed has no relevance. You should learn some basic understanding of markets and how they work.

I really find it amusing how you manipulate ebay to gain exposure of this book, and then go off ebay to avoid paying all fees the website generated, meanwhile the buyer assumes all risk involved in the transaction. Well done, Barnum! Clearly you have no financial integrity.

One final thought of discourse; my girlfriend is in her final year of residency in psychiatry, if you'd like I can negotiate a structured-deal for your mental conditions. Think of the royalty streams if you become part of a case study? :)

Putting the words "buy it now" and "offer" together is really dischordant to me. and I was content to think: he's an old guy... never used ebay before... doesn't understand how it works... not really surprised. maybe he legitimately thought that offers made in a private message on ebay are valid bids and that he could end the auction at any time by accepting one of these offers.

but when he acknowledges snipe bids as bidding "at the end of an auction" really strikes a nerve... like maybe he really does know enough about how ebay works that he purposefully circumvented the system. Unless the term "snipe bid" is also used in conventional auctions. ... or maybe he just knows how to use google.

what a disappointing end to that... even if i didn't have any hope of purchasing these books for what they were going for. garage/attic finds are exciting to me and the messages with the seller y'all shared has really soured this one.

Well it arrived.

You tell me

i also do not have experience or authority to grade, so you won't find a guess from me. i always find it funny when people disqualify themselves as a grader and then still try to make an estimate: "i know nothing about grading, but it's probably an X.0-X.5". but i do see the corner wear and creases that can lower the grade.

the scans themselves are fantastic. i wish the original pictures looked this good. i will expect this quality of picture for every book on the internet from now on :)

Good day to you.

Putting the words "buy it now" and "offer" together is really dischordant to me. and I was content to think: he's an old guy... never used ebay before... doesn't understand how it works... not really surprised. maybe he legitimately thought that offers made in a private message on ebay are valid bids and that he could end the auction at any time by accepting one of these offers.

but when he acknowledges snipe bids as bidding "at the end of an auction" really strikes a nerve... like maybe he really does know enough about how ebay works that he purposefully circumvented the system. Unless the term "snipe bid" is also used in conventional auctions. ... or maybe he just knows how to use google.

what a disappointing end to that... even if i didn't have any hope of purchasing these books for what they were going for. garage/attic finds are exciting to me and the messages with the seller y'all shared has really soured this one.

The whole experience has been tainted for sure. Instead of a celebration similar to RMA's find, or Jen's collection, we're left with a seller that manipulated a few die-hards fans as best as he could.

Well it arrived.

You tell me

meh, I am going to return it just so someone else can have it, or worse, have it kept in that climate so its totally worthless? No, I'll take care of it, try to find another.

You basically have no recourse. You can ship it back to the guy for a refund that might never happen...