• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

(shrug) Like I said, just like everyone else I have ever bought a comic from. Comics has gone from being a collectible to a business.

I guarantee you....GUARANTEE...that you will NEVER have a book pulled out from under you by me (or pretty much anyone else of any integrity around here) once a deal has been struck, simply because someone else saw it and came up with a higher offer. EVER. The answer to that is " :frustrated: sorry, but I already have a deal with someone else. If only you'd come by sooner!"

That's essentially what an auction is: you run it and if it gets a bid, it is "in play" until the final second. You don't yank it, especially right near the end.

Can you IMAGINE if there was a rare coin or painting being auctioned, and halfway through, the auctioneer has someone whisper in his ear and say "sorry ladies and gentlemen, the item has been removed from the auction, as someone privately made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse, and he's taken it."

Can you IMAGINE??

(shrug) Like I said, just like everyone else I have ever bought a comic from. Comics has gone from being a collectible to a business.

I guarantee you....GUARANTEE...that you will NEVER have a book pulled out from under you by me (or pretty much anyone else of any integrity around here) once a deal has been struck, simply because someone else saw it and came up with a higher offer. EVER. The answer to that is " :frustrated: sorry, but I already have a deal with someone else. If only you'd come by sooner!"

That's essentially what an auction is: you run it and if it gets a bid, it is "in play" until the final second. You don't yank it, especially right near the end.

Can you IMAGINE if there was a rare coin or painting being auctioned, and halfway through, the auctioneer has someone whisper in his ear and say "sorry ladies and gentlemen, the item has been removed from the auction, as someone privately made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse, and he's taken it."

Can you IMAGINE??

I'd like to believe that, but the fact is, this HAS happened to me, countless times. I have waited patiently on eBay for auctions to end, then being sniped out at the last second. It happens all the time, everywhere.

It really pisses me off, but that is the way of business, no? I do not know ANYONE who wouldn't take a better offer from someone else over what is currently being offered. Its just business. It sucks, and its the reason I sought out other places to pursue my hobby. I was getting majorly ripped off on eBay. I am just glad all my transactions here have been extremely pleasant ones with people who understand a comics intrinsic value. There are still are those who are only in it to make a profit and drive prices to their advantage, but on the most part, its a community of collectors like myself. There is a sense of security in that.

My transaction with this seller was a good one. I cannot understand his judgement on eBay, I didn't make my transaction with him there, but I do know he wasn't a collector. Just some guy that found some stuff in an attic. I don't condone what he did, but I can't condemn it either. If I found some old gun or something in my attic and went online to sell it, I would take what I thought was the best offer too.

I dunno...I have my copy, so I probably don't have a say in the matter. I know how disappointing it is to lose out on something I really want, so I will just shut up about it.

I just don't feel this guy deserves such harshness because I feel I am a good judge of character. He was really nice and pleasant to talk to and deal with.

But I guess most con artists are. Guess I am just lucky and got a good deal.....for once.

Stealing? I was commenting on eBay and Paypal's ever increasing fees and collections. Do you truly believe those to be fair? And when they next increase the amounts.. will those to be fair? eBay isn't hurting, and would still take in listing fees for the auction.

I use eBay, but I'm not going to be friends with it. meh

Can you IMAGINE??

I'd like to believe that, but the fact is, this HAS happened to me, countless times. I have waited patiently on eBay for auctions to end, then being sniped out at the last second. It happens all the time, everywhere.

Uh, no. This isn't about being sniped. This has nothing whatsoever to do with being sniped. (Aside: if you are angry about being sniped, you either didn't bid the MOST you were willing to pay, or you just didn't get the item for the price you wanted. In either case, you bear the responsibility, not the sniper.)

It really pisses me off, but that is the way of business, no? I do not know ANYONE who wouldn't take a better offer from someone else over what is currently being offered.

In that case, I'd like to introduce you to the CGC boards, where *most* people would not take a better offer AFTER a deal had already been made with someone else.

Its just business. It sucks, and its the reason I sought out other places to pursue my hobby. I was getting majorly ripped off on eBay. I am just glad all my transactions here have been extremely pleasant ones with people who understand a comics intrinsic value. There are still are those who are only in it to make a profit and drive prices to their advantage, but on the most part, its a community of collectors like myself. There is a sense of security in that.

There is nothing wrong with profit. This has nothing to do with profit.

This is about circumventing the system, thereby cheating all sorts of entities out of a fair shot.

My transaction with this seller was a good one. I cannot understand his judgement on eBay, I didn't make my transaction with him there, but I do know he wasn't a collector. Just some guy that found some stuff in an attic. I don't condone what he did, but I can't condemn it either. If I found some old gun or something in my attic and went online to sell it, I would take what I thought was the best offer too.

There's nothing wrong with taking the best offer...but you can't have it both ways. Either list for the price you want, and consider offers (in which everyone who sees it has a shot), or list as an auction, and let it run, and add a Buy It Now price (in which everyone who sees it has shot.)

I dunno...I have my copy, so I probably don't have a say in the matter. I know how disappointing it is to lose out on something I really want, so I will just shut up about it.

I just don't feel this guy deserves such harshness because I feel I am a good judge of character. He was really nice and pleasant to talk to and deal with.

But I guess most con artists are. Guess I am just lucky and got a good deal.....for once.

Now you're on to something.....

Stealing? I was commenting on eBay and Paypal's ever increasing fees and collections. Do you truly believe those to be fair? And when they next increase the amounts.. will those to be fair? eBay isn't hurting, and would still take in listing fees for the auction.

I use eBay, but I'm not going to be friends with it. meh

It doesn't matter whether or not you think eBay and Paypal's terms are fair. If you cannot abide by them, don't use them.

And no, eBay will not "take in listing fees for the auction." Everyone gets 50 free listings a month, in most categories.

You judge by the appearance. You have no right to judge whether or not "eBay is hurting", any more than I have the right to steal from you simply because I judge you to "not be hurting."

And...I shouldn't have to say this, and I invariably do, because mankind is dishonest....but I despise eBay and Paypal, and fervently wish there was a legitimate competitor. And I shouldn't have to say that to qualify why it's wrong to steal from ANYONE.

In that case, I'd like to introduce you to the CGC boards, where *most* people would not take a better offer AFTER a deal had already been made with someone else.

Hope so, there are many things I wish to purchase.

Anyways...that's all I have to say on anything till I have pics to post in either my journal or a thread I will make for Yellows.

I have no problem with taking a stand, however getting over excited over something that can not be changed is a waste of time. You obviously have your opinions and take stands, and I respect that. What I do not respect is someone just being rude.

On the other hand, telling people that you can neither see nor hear, and therefore have no way of actually knowing their emotional state, to "calm down" could easily be construed as rude, n'est-ce pas...?

As far as what is, and what is not, a "waste of time", and therefore acceptable to post...I wasn't aware there was a rulebook for posting. Can you share your copy?

And that doesn't even address who responded to whom, with the multiple exclamation points....

So, let's try and leave out the personal comments about other people's presumed emotional states and just stick to the topic being discussed, huh?

I have no problem with taking a stand, however getting over excited over something that can not be changed is a waste of time. You obviously have your opinions and take stands, and I respect that. What I do not respect is someone just being rude.
I've been following this thread and I can find what you think he said that was rude. RMA is passionate and articulate but what did he say that you took as rude? (shrug) I can't tell if he is excited by reading his posts but I disagree with you there is value in discussion even when discussing things that cannot be changed because what cannot be changed for this transaction, can be changed in the next. And even when things can never be changed, a discussion board is still the place to discuss those things.

Once a deal is struck, it's cast in metal. Done. Over. I've been offered more money (even a lot more on occasion) for books after I made a deal, and would never, under any circumstance, take the higher offer after a deal is already made. This isn't high horse stuff. It's integrity. You either have it or you don't.

I also understand peoples feelings towards the evil, corporate juggernaut, known as eBay. They take way too much money off of their customers, and they fleece people via PayPal, but I agree with RMA saying that if you are not happy with their prices or policies.. don't use them.

Who wants to hear my email correspondence with the seller? :D It's quite entertaining....

:hi:

Here ya go chief! (*Note, my comments quickly turn inflammatory after his second email about 'getting what I deserve', but this dialogue should be good for a few laughs).

Why was this auction ended early?

I got a "buy it now offer" way above my expectations. I had bascially 3 bidders, two seemed serious. One of them made the offer. Why didn't you make a bid? If I bring out another one would you make a "buy it now" offer?

I only use snipe bids on ebay auctions. Are you talking about bringing out a different one than you just ended? I'm confused, do you have more than the three copies?

Guess you answered your own question. If you cannot come forward and make a proper offer and choose to bid at the end of an auction, then you got what you deserve.

I guess snipes are beyond your comprehension, it is a bid. And thank you for confirming what I already suspected; you're clearly dishonest. You blatantly circumvent the rules of eBay, and out-an-out lie regarding condition. If you truly believe this book is an 8.5-9+, you're either very uninformed, or very crooked. I guess you took a break from running the carnival games at the local fair, to rip people off online.

You're ignorance is beyond reproach. My wife is currently in the hospital and I cannot continue to babysit auctions and whiners like yourself. I took a price from the highest bidder.

I understand what snipe bids are, I understand they are legal on eBay. I find them to be dishonest, just as you find myself to be dishonest. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to bid or took the time to contact me for an offer.

Good day to you.

How are snipes dishonest? It's a bid, the time placed has no relevance. You should learn some basic understanding of markets and how they work.

I really find it amusing how you manipulate ebay to gain exposure of this book, and then go off ebay to avoid paying all fees the website generated, meanwhile the buyer assumes all risk involved in the transaction. Well done, Barnum! Clearly you have no financial integrity.

One final thought of discourse; my girlfriend is in her final year of residency in psychiatry, if you'd like I can negotiate a structured-deal for your mental conditions. Think of the royalty streams if you become part of a case study? :)

I have no need to explain myself to you or anyone else.

Most crooks plead the fifth, I understand.

Who wants to hear my email correspondence with the seller? :D It's quite entertaining....

:hi:

Here ya go chief! (*Note, my comments quickly turn inflammatory after his second email about 'getting what I deserve', but this dialogue should be good for a few laughs).

Why was this auction ended early?

I got a "buy it now offer" way above my expectations. I had bascially 3 bidders, two seemed serious. One of them made the offer. Why didn't you make a bid? If I bring out another one would you make a "buy it now" offer?

I only use snipe bids on ebay auctions. Are you talking about bringing out a different one than you just ended? I'm confused, do you have more than the three copies?

Guess you answered your own question. If you cannot come forward and make a proper offer and choose to bid at the end of an auction, then you got what you deserve.

I guess snipes are beyond your comprehension, it is a bid. And thank you for confirming what I already suspected; you're clearly dishonest. You blatantly circumvent the rules of eBay, and out-an-out lie regarding condition. If you truly believe this book is an 8.5-9+, you're either very uninformed, or very crooked. I guess you took a break from running the carnival games at the local fair, to rip people off online.

You're ignorance is beyond reproach. My wife is currently in the hospital and I cannot continue to babysit auctions and whiners like yourself. I took a price from the highest bidder.

I understand what snipe bids are, I understand they are legal on eBay. I find them to be dishonest, just as you find myself to be dishonest. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to bid or took the time to contact me for an offer.

Good day to you.

How are snipes dishonest? It's a bid, the time placed has no relevance. You should learn some basic understanding of markets and how they work.

I really find it amusing how you manipulate ebay to gain exposure of this book, and then go off ebay to avoid paying all fees the website generated, meanwhile the buyer assumes all risk involved in the transaction. Well done, Barnum! Clearly you have no financial integrity.

One final thought of discourse; my girlfriend is in her final year of residency in psychiatry, if you'd like I can negotiate a structured-deal for your mental conditions. Think of the royalty streams if you become part of a case study? :)

I have no need to explain myself to you or anyone else.

Most crooks plead the fifth, I understand.

:sick:

The guy is a 73 year old man....defiantly not in good taste...