• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx #3 Black - Research
4 4

462 posts in this topic

Well with what looks to be the one in the worst shape selling for $400, I don't think they are going to go much cheaper than that....I am hoping I came out of this deal ahead. I am quite worried about what grade this is going to turn out to be.

I'm the purchaser of #81... just arrived in the mail yesterday and it is about 10 times better looking in person. Those pics were truly awful. I'm gonna send it out for pressing, after that I think it'll receive a pretty solid grade.

Well with what looks to be the one in the worst shape selling for $400, I don't think they are going to go much cheaper than that....I am hoping I came out of this deal ahead. I am quite worried about what grade this is going to turn out to be.

I'm the purchaser of #81... just arrived in the mail yesterday and it is about 10 times better looking in person. Those pics were truly awful. I'm gonna send it out for pressing, after that I think it'll receive a pretty solid grade.

The image(s) I saw it looked like someone sat on them. I don't know how you press out massive creases that crumple the book...

What kind of shipping did you use? To receive an item on the third business day after the auction closed is crazy.

The image(s) I saw it looked like someone sat on them. I don't know how you press out massive creases that crumple the book...

The image(s) I saw looked like they were taken by a potato.

What kind of shipping did you use? To receive an item on the third business day after the auction closed is crazy.

It was priority but yeah I was super (pleasantly) surprised it got here so fast. He shipped it pretty much immediately.

Didn't ebay have a cut-off time when auctions could no longer be pulled? I don't know if the ebay police actually monitor auctions to see if they get re-listed.

Didn't ebay have a cut-off time when auctions could no longer be pulled? I don't know if the ebay police actually monitor auctions to see if they get re-listed.

I think you are allowed to pull an auction if the highest bidder makes a deal or more than 12 hours is left. I dunno, never sold on eBay

I think you are allowed to pull an auction if the highest bidder makes a deal or more than 12 hours is left. I dunno, never sold on eBay

I think 'no longer for sale' means the item isn't available, not, use ebay as a selling venue to gain exposure, then find out where your target buyers are, and then solicit bids against each-other with threats to close the auction early (which is nearly over) thereby manipulating the selling price. Great deal for the seller. The buyer assumes all risk that the seller might not even ship the book in an off-board transaction. And the seller also skirts the ebay fees that generated the bulk of the interest in the book.

I will comment as such....having spoken to the man personally and dealt with him, he is one of the nicest people I have talked to. His dealing with me was completely transparent and honest and he answered every question I had to the best of his ability.

I haven't received my copy yet, but its on its way. All the shipping documentation is there. I guess I will have a full opinion when it finally comes, but as it stands now, he is no different than any other person I have bought from, either here or on eBay.

I am sure he has his reasons for ending the auction the way he did.

I will comment as such....having spoken to the man personally and dealt with him, he is one of the nicest people I have talked to. His dealing with me was completely transparent and honest and he answered every question I had to the best of his ability.

I haven't received my copy yet, but its on its way. All the shipping documentation is there. I guess I will have a full opinion when it finally comes, but as it stands now, he is no different than any other person I have bought from, either here or on eBay.

I am sure he has his reasons for ending the auction the way he did.

meh

I do apologize for ending the auction early, but an offer was made that I couldn't refuse. I made a moral decision and I stand by it.

Actual, genuine greed.

Cheating everyone else of the ability to win the item by taking an offer outside the system is hardly "moral."

He cheated all the potential bidders, himself, and eBay. He cheated the bidders because they all thought the listing would run, fair and square, to the end. He cheated himself because he has no idea what it would have sold for (and it's not like he had any money into ANY of these.)

And he cheated eBay by using their system without paying their fees. The eyeballs that "made the offer he couldn't refuse" became those eyeballs because of eBay...and yet, now eBay doesn't see a dime? Theft.

Again...HARDLY a moral decision.

What a tool.

I do apologize for ending the auction early, but an offer was made that I couldn't refuse. I made a moral decision and I stand by it.

Actual, genuine greed.

Cheating everyone else of the ability to win the item by taking an offer outside the system is hardly "moral."

He cheated all the potential bidders, himself, and eBay. He cheated the bidders because they all thought the listing would run, fair and square, to the end. He cheated himself because he has no idea what it would have sold for (and it's not like he had any money into ANY of these.)

And he cheated eBay by using their system without paying their fees. The eyeballs that "made the offer he couldn't refuse" became those eyeballs because of eBay...and yet, now eBay doesn't see a dime? Theft.

Again...HARDLY a moral decision.

What a tool.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Speaking of morals, the seller finds snipe bids immoral. Haha.