• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just found a Star Wars #1 35C variant in my closet - What to do?

39 posts in this topic

I just discovered that I have a Star Wars #1 35C variant. It's certainly not in mint condition, but it is in good condition. I got it when I was a kid and it's been in a box with other Star Wars (and Beetle Bailey??) comics ever since. I got it near Ephrata, PA which I guess maybe was part of Philadelphia run? Could it really be worth $5K+? Is it worth it to send it to CGC to get it graded? And if so, do I need to find a comic shop that's a member? I'm confused about the process. Any other info would be helpful. Thanks!!

Scan it first, because I'd be very surprised if you have a real variant. If you don't have a scanner, open the book up and look at the indicia on the first page and see what the indicia says the cover price should be.

I just discovered that I have a Star Wars #1 35C variant. It's certainly not in mint condition, but it is in good condition. I got it when I was a kid and it's been in a box with other Star Wars (and Beetle Bailey??) comics ever since. I got it near Ephrata, PA which I guess maybe was part of Philadelphia run? Could it really be worth $5K+? Is it worth it to send it to CGC to get it graded? And if so, do I need to find a comic shop that's a member? I'm confused about the process. Any other info would be helpful. Thanks!!

Um, Philadelphia wasn't one of the distribution cities. Well, not that anyone is aware of..

Um, Philadelphia wasn't one of the distribution cities. Well, not that anyone is aware of..

But somewhere around PA was, as I've found lots of 35-centers from small towns and cities in PA.

But somewhere around PA was, as I've found lots of 35-centers from small towns and cities in PA.

I have too, (not lots) but at least three.

I brought this up to Cosmic when he was doing his 35 cent variant distribution mark research, but it did not go very far. This is mainly due to the inability to find them on a regular basis for sale.

I bought a bunch on EBay from the same seller, who bought them off the shelves nearby, and he was from somewhere around Philadelphia. Norwood or Darby or something like that.

The problem is, that distributors in nearby states may have had contracts with other cities and territories, so it's difficult to track some of these back to their original spots.

I brought this up to Cosmic when he was doing his 35 cent variant distribution mark research, but it did not go very far. This is mainly due to the inability to find them on a regular basis for sale.

Ok, I was taking the Cosmic list of distributions as the master list, but will concede he could not have Philadelphia on the list. You guys know wayyyy more than I anyway. (worship)

Alot of people think its the 35 cent variant and its not. I purchased a copy once on ebay and thought it was the original. Only when I got it did i realize it was a reprint. Only cost me $20. I did find a copy of the original later for $300 in fine condition. I also purchased a cgc copy of the reprint for my son who always wants the same comic as me and since I cant afford a copy now adays I got him a CGC reprint for $2 on ebay. Can t beat that. The cgc case was worth $2 alone.

To the original poster , Unless its like 9.4 or above it idont think it would be worth 5K., I saw a copy on ebay recently in i think 5.0 and it sold for around $500 and I remmebeer recently a 9.0 went for around $1,000 -$1,200 ( If my memory is correct) .Though a 9.4 did sell for $10K . Still it definetly will be worth something as this is a extremly hard issue to find. Post a pic of yours , sure we all would love to see it.

Ok, I was taking the Cosmic list of distributions as the master list, but will concede he could not have Philadelphia on the list. You guys know wayyyy more than I anyway. (worship)

(shrug) I still don't have all the 35 cent distribution Cities figured out but I think I pretty sure on 4 of them now. :)

hm If Donut's Letter is right about there being 6 Test Markets that still leaves 2 more to find. I do really believe one of the last two is on the West Coast somewhere, and if their is in fact a 6th Test City I guess it could be in PA. all I can say is if it is I sure would like to know. :foryou:

hm Do any of the books that came from PA. have any Distribution marks on them at all? :gossip: