• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todd McFarlane at Comic-Con International

30 posts in this topic

Met him once in AZ and he was not to nice. He would only sign one book only and my Spidey Platinum was in a Wizard Rhino case that you needed a screw driver to open, I forgot the screw driver doh! , I just have a Spidey Silver signed by him only :flamed: .

I like Todd. He has grown from an artist/writer to a multi-media promoter: toys, action figures, videogames, comics, t-shirts, direct to dvd-quality :sumo: movies, etc. More line ups, the merrier when at SDCC. :P

I like Todd. He has grown from an artist/writer to a multi-media promoter: toys, action figures, videogames, comics, t-shirts, direct to dvd-quality :sumo: movies, etc. More line ups, the merrier when at SDCC. :P
when he was an artist/writer, he was fine...but ask anyone that had "dealt" with him, his rise came from stepping on those around and underneath him, and his business tactics are, questionable to down right unethical in some instance... for folks to "applaud" him, it is only because the don't "know" him rantrant

when he was an artist/writer, he was fine...but ask anyone that had "dealt" with him, his rise came from stepping on those around and underneath him, and his business tactics are, questionable to down right unethical in some instance... for folks to "applaud" him, it is only because the don't "know" him rantrant

I greatly admire McFarlane and all of his accomplishments. As far as your rant above, you can probably say that about any successful businessman, even Bill Gates. Sounds like ol' Todd is not only a great talent, but business savvy as well.

Because of time and limits. Most of us suffered for hours last year in Chicago :cry:

That line was bad, but not that bad. I waited much longer for Alan Davis at Mid-Ohio and I was seventh in line. :whistle:

Because of time and limits. Most of us suffered for hours last year in Chicago :cry:

That line was bad, but not that bad. I waited much longer for Alan Davis at Mid-Ohio and I was seventh in line. :whistle:

The difference being that Alan Davis would sign whatever you put in front of him when you finally got to him while the Todd signing at SDCCI will be very limited - 1 or 2 items max.

And from what I've heard, his people were even stricter in Phoenix back in January, and that's a smaller, regional show... a fraction of the size of Chicago... which in itself is a fraction of San Diego where there's a line for everything.

The difference being that Alan Davis would sign whatever you put in front of him when you finally got to him while the Todd signing at SDCCI will be very limited - 1 or 2 items max.

Plus, Alan Davis was doing $10 sketches at Mid-Ohio last year. That made the line go extremely slow.

I greatly admire McFarlane and all of his accomplishments. As far as your rant above, you can probably say that about any successful businessman, even Bill Gates. Sounds like ol' Todd is not only a great talent, but business savvy as well.

if you consider trying to strongarm smaller business into accepting merchadise different than what was paid for "savy and successful"...if you consider refusing to refund $43,000 of payments for product he sold you he doesn't have or can't ship, to the point you have to get lawyers and lawsuits involved to recoup your payments "savy and successful", if you consider telling you "companies like yours don't mean mess to me, I could give a god damn about you and your orders...I don't need you, you need me.... I am only concerned about what TRU and Walmart say " (pretty much an exact quote) "savy and successful" then you obviously have different values than I do

Rick... is it safe to assume you (or a close friend) had a bad experience with McFarlane Inc?

And I'm bummed there isn't going to be any SS Witness representation for this event, but I think it speaks to an unfortunate set of circumstances. And frankly, how on earth can I blame these guys for not wanting to wait in line to only have one or two items signed? They make what little money they do from getting LOTS of stuff signed--waiting for that long to get one or two items signed just isn't cost effective, nor is it going to be particularly gratifying to spend so much time for only one or two signatures.

Oh well, it is his call and I respect that, but I think it does leave quite a few fans left feeling a little disappointed. :(

if you consider trying to strongarm smaller business into accepting merchadise different than what was paid for "savy and successful"...if you consider refusing to refund $43,000 of payments for product he sold you he doesn't have or can't ship, to the point you have to get lawyers and lawsuits involved to recoup your payments "savy and successful", if you consider telling you "companies like yours don't mean mess to me, I could give a god damn about you and your orders...I don't need you, you need me.... I am only concerned about what TRU and Walmart say " (pretty much an exact quote) "savy and successful" then you obviously have different values than I do

And frankly, I don't think he was all that talented. He clearly wasn't passionate about it, or he'd still be doing it.

Are people unaware of what Neil Gaiman went through with McFarlane?

I've heard Gaiman tell about it in person and I've never thought of McFarlane the same way since.

Rick's story doesn't surprise me at all, it seems perfectly in character with everything else I've heard about McFarlane.

I'm sorry.. but I'm starting to dislike Todd more and more every year.

When your really disgusted with him give me any books of his you have and I'll be even more disgusted at him for you

Are people unaware of what Neil Gaiman went through with McFarlane?

I've heard Gaiman tell about it in person and I've never thought of McFarlane the same way since.

Rick's story doesn't surprise me at all, it seems perfectly in character with everything else I've heard about McFarlane.

ask most any smaller retailer that has ever dealt with McFarlane, and you get the same story about his character, etc... he is a *spoon*, a *spoon*, and a manipulative person, IMO...

the diff is that many other smaller retailers needed mcfarlane product to survive, so you don't hear as much public comments as I am more than happy to make...we didn't and dropped him like a bad habit ...now, don't get me wrong, I could have used the profit from sales of his product, but my standards and morals and ethics, etc, prevent me from doing business with folks that like (thumbs u

nuff said.... to each his own