• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

PS... frankly, this whole 'Probation' thread thing strikes me as a little - I dunno - kind of petty. (I know I'll take sh*t for this opinion.)

Yeah, there are some *spoon* out there. But aren't we all big enough to deal with these things privately? I've had some deals go bad on me, and certainly I've been guilty of not getting some packages out on time sometimes. But everyone has always been mature and patient enough (on both sides) to work things out so everyone stays happy. And if someone really burned me... well, I would just choose not to deal with them again.

Just my two cents.

I don't view this probation thread as some sort of revenge on the delinquent buyers. I view it more as a way to share info about bad buyers with other people on the boards, and spare them the experience of learning the hard way that a buyer is a scumbag? confused-smiley-013.gif

PS... frankly, this whole 'Probation' thread thing strikes me as a little - I dunno - kind of petty. (I know I'll take sh*t for this opinion.)

Yeah, there are some *spoon* out there. But aren't we all big enough to deal with these things privately? I've had some deals go bad on me, and certainly I've been guilty of not getting some packages out on time sometimes. But everyone has always been mature and patient enough (on both sides) to work things out so everyone stays happy. And if someone really burned me... well, I would just choose not to deal with them again.

Just my two cents.

I don't view this probation thread as some sort of revenge on the delinquent buyers. I view it more as a way to share info about bad buyers with other people on the boards, and spare them the experience of learning the hard way that a buyer is a scumbag? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's the whole point. They can always make amends or resolve the issue by being honest about it. Believe me, no one has been nominated that hasn't earned it. grin.gif

This thread may appear as harsh to some people, but I like to see it more as an necessary evil. Hopefully this will be more than a hall of shame but will make certain buyers/sellers think twice about not fulfilling their part of the "contract".

Before it was free-for-all... now you can end up here.

But let's please try to resolve every problem first using PM and use this thread as a last resort 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This thread may appear as harsh to some people, but I like to see it more as an necessary evil. Hopefully this will be more than a hall of shame but will make certain buyers/sellers think twice about not fulfilling their part of the "contract".

Before it was free-for-all... now you can end up here.

But let's please try to resolve every problem first using PM and use this thread as a last resort 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm agree Chromium,that's not an easy way, but i'm sure sometimes it is necessary to do this sort of thread , you know what i mean grin.gif

when i pm or takeit.gif on this board i paypal asap, sellers are here to find $$ maybe to buy other piece of dream tongue.gif, i 'm not here to loose my time or their

i think : BUY ON THIS BOARD ONLY IF YOU CAN PAY IT RIGHT NOW , OTHERWISE PASS YOUR WAY

i think : BUY ON THIS BOARD ONLY IF YOU CAN PAY IT RIGHT NOW , OTHERWISE PASS YOUR WAY

foreheadslap.gif

I disagree. As a seller I have no problem doing time payments or installments -- as long as it is discussedin advance of the person pulling the takeit.gif trigger.

In fact, if I'm selling a big ticket book I'd expect people to ask about time payments. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't want this to be a thread that makes people think that if they can't cough up the dough right away they'll end up in the public square stocks with people throwing tomatoes at them boo.gif As long as it's approved up front there should no problems with paying over time.

Communication is the key to any successful transaction.

foreheadslap.gif

I disagree. As a seller I have no problem doing time payments or installments -- as long as it is discussedin advance of the person pulling the takeit.gif trigger.

In fact, if I'm selling a big ticket book I'd expect people to ask about time payments. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't want this to be a thread that makes people think that if they can't cough up the dough right away they'll end up in the public square stocks with people throwing tomatoes at them boo.gif As long as it's approved up front there should no problems with paying over time.

But even with time payments...you do expect part of the payment to be paid right away don't you ?

Fwiw, I think this thread is a good idea.

While I certainly haven't been selling on the boards as long as many of you, I have sold on ebay for over seven years and at conventions for over 25 years.

I haven’t offered many expensive items in my sales threads thus far and do not strive to get "top dollar", but I have sold several >$100 items to folks that view the marketplace and inquire what else I might have. Again, not always big money but a nice alternative to ebay and their fees.

I should also add that everyone has paid in a timely manner and several of the buyers are lurkers or those that rarely post.

Obviously those of you with super slabs and other unique, high end items may encounter a different clientele than I.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Here's to your efforts to make this an even better place for buyers and sellers to conduct business.

foreheadslap.gif

I disagree. As a seller I have no problem doing time payments or installments -- as long as it is discussed in advance of the person pulling the takeit.gif trigger.

But even with time payments...you do expect part of the payment to be paid right away don't you ?

Not necessarily. If somebody contacted me and said they were sincerely interested in a book or art but needed some time to come up with money, and they were someone with a good reputation, I wouldn't need a downpayment immediately.

But again, it depends on the situation and the buyer. If somebody pulled the trigger on something and then after the fact said they couldn't pay me for a month, well that's a problem. sumo.gif If they pulled the trigger and tried to string me along for weeks that would be a problem sumo.gif (and that's what this thread is for!)

But if somebody contacts me and says they can pay but they need time, and I say ok, then I it's all good. As long as they make payments when they say they will, I am willing to work it out to both parties' satisfaction.

The bottom line is that payment circumstances can be flexible, and things like delayed payments or installments should be worked out in advance.

I just don't think this thread should be a place where people try to imply that their own payment policies should be everyone's policies. confused-smiley-013.gif

If a seller only wants immediate payment, they should say so in their FS thread. I'll do the same with "Time Payments happily accepted if worked out in advance" thumbsup2.gif

Will you take five monthly payments of $5 on that $25 Spidey? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

yeahok.gif Yes, that's exactly what I meant by my posts above. yeahok.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So.... it's ok for YOU to post non-serious stuff, but nobody else? poke2.gif

sumo.gif It's on now. Let the pet story postings begin! 27_laughing.gif

3/30/07 PROBATION UPDATE

The following Forum Members are currently on "probation" for failure to complete a transaction in good faith after one month's time:

bronzejunkie

comicmankev

donavan74

IITravel

Herald2Galactus (1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I just sold a piece of OA to a board member payable middle of April on cheap piece. There are a few boardies I deal with on a regular basis who ask me for 2 or 3 weeks to pay which is cool with me. If people ask, i'll negotiate.

I just sold a piece of OA to a board member payable middle of April on cheap piece. There are a few boardies I deal with on a regular basis who ask me for 2 or 3 weeks to pay which is cool with me. If people ask, i'll negotiate.

That's because you're a sexy *spoon*. grin.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I disagree. As a seller I have no problem doing time payments or installments -- as long as it is discussed in advance of the person pulling the takeit.gif trigger.

Not necessarily. If somebody contacted me and said they were sincerely interested in a book or art but needed some time to come up with money, and they were someone with a good reputation, I wouldn't need a downpayment immediately.

But again, it depends on the situation and the buyer. If somebody pulled the trigger on something and then after the fact said they couldn't pay me for a month, well that's a problem. sumo.gif If they pulled the trigger and tried to string me along for weeks that would be a problem sumo.gif (and that's what this thread is for!)

But if somebody contacts me and says they can pay but they need time, and I say ok, then I it's all good. As long as they make payments when they say they will, I am willing to work it out to both parties' satisfaction.

The bottom line is that payment circumstances can be flexible, and things like delayed payments or installments should be worked out in advance.

I just don't think this thread should be a place where people try to imply that their own payment policies should be everyone's policies. confused-smiley-013.gif

If a seller only wants immediate payment, they should say so in their FS thread. I'll do the same with "Time Payments happily accepted if worked out in advance" thumbsup2.gif

i accept your pov Rhino, but when i was a kid, my parents taught me to buy when i had money in my pocket grin.gif, and i say it again maybe that's not you but i consider if a seller is posting books it's because he needs money to buy something else or whatever he wants , then immediate cash ,if you can accept time payment great for you thumbsup2.gif, but it's not the same for everybody here

problem for people here : is how can i do to be paid and not have problems with some forumites ?, i think (and i'm working in a bank, i know what i'm talking about), you've to be strict on your work with people, if you've never had any problems you're lucky, maybe someday you'll have in front of you a buyer who is always PMing you with (i will... next month...i swear) , and that's why people here are fed up with all that, i don't think its a pleasure for them to write names of forumites, you say it : " If they pulled the trigger and tried to string me along for weeks that would be a problem sumo.gif"

then i say it again to be satisfied for seller and buyer only one solution:

BUY ON THIS BOARD ONLY IF YOU CAN PAY IT RIGHT NOW , OTHERWISE PASS YOUR WAY

why can't we do a new forum "time payment books for sale" grin.gif , only joking Rhino, i've bought you books in the past and i swear i'll never ask for time payment for our next business wink.gif

3/30/07 PROBATION UPDATE

The following Forum Members are currently on "probation" for failure to complete a transaction in good faith after one month's time:

bronzejunkie

comicmankev

donavan74

IITravel

Herald2Galactus (1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I'm surprised there are so few names on this list. 893whatthe.gif

It says a lot about the quality of people on the boards. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Kudos to everyone! headbang.gif I've bought and sold quite a lot over the last few months without a single problem.

Mike