• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

:popcorn:

Personally I'm fine with a committee for the HOS. Annual vote for the members and that's it. Make it an uneven number and you can still have a private poll. The problem with voting now is it's open to anyone including those with no board history. I understand they may have a general right/wrong belief system but with no board history the line for the PL and HOS becomes increasingly fuzzy.

I'm not that big on that because the process to vote people on to that committee is gonna end up being a popularity contest. This isn't life or death but there are way too many vocal people here that are vengeful, vindictictive sociopaths. I like those people to be out in the open for anyone paying attention to spot.

And quite honestly, who wants the responsibility? Clearly a public vote has issues but it will eliminate some obvious issues with an anonymous vote.

You can't think of anyone you'd nominate for the position because you respect their opinions? I don't think the boardies interested in being popular would be interested in being responsible. ;)

How do you know that?

If we're going with a Usual Suspects theme. :insane:

I nominate comix4fun, joecgcmaniac, speedy d, mschmidt & RMA - in that order.

:blush:

I call Benecio as my Avatar!!!

:popcorn:

Personally I'm fine with a committee for the HOS. Annual vote for the members and that's it. Make it an uneven number and you can still have a private poll. The problem with voting now is it's open to anyone including those with no board history. I understand they may have a general right/wrong belief system but with no board history the line for the PL and HOS becomes increasingly fuzzy.

I'm not that big on that because the process to vote people on to that committee is gonna end up being a popularity contest. This isn't life or death but there are way too many vocal people here that are vengeful, vindictictive sociopaths. I like those people to be out in the open for anyone paying attention to spot.

And quite honestly, who wants the responsibility? Clearly a public vote has issues but it will eliminate some obvious issues with an anonymous vote.

You can't think of anyone you'd nominate for the position because you respect their opinions? I don't think the boardies interested in being popular would be interested in being responsible. ;)

How do you know that?

Just a guess.

smashdash

(added 2/5/13 - 13th "Hall of Shame" Member)

twen37 aka thocelizabeth aka elizabeth7372013 on ebay aka The House Of Comics.com aka Thomas Neely and/or Elizabeth Neely

(added 6/28/13 - 14th "Hall of Shame" Member) - note - this is a different dealer than CGC board member HouseofComics.Com

The Silver-Age

(added 9/7/13 - 15th "Hall of Shame" member)

Red Rocks

(added 11/1/13 - 16th "Hall of Shame" Member)

So, is this a result of more people finding the site or just randomness?

4 in a year....as opposed to two last year

Edited by MetalPSI

I've often thought it would be a good idea to hold the Hall of Shame votes in Comics General. You would get more people voting there. A separate thread for each poll.

While I would not be afraid to voice my vote in person and I understand where Park is coming from, I think that there would be too many followers. People who think there are people here, who know more than others.

I hear it all the time..."important board members" etc.

So I'm not sure it would have the effect that Park is looking for.

What I would like to see is a blind poll, one where you can't see the results until it's over, so people don't make announcements in-between. That way maybe there would be less bandwagon stuff that way.

As far as having a committee to decide and having them voted on each year. It's going to be difficult to do that. What if people are away? I'm also not a huge fan of more and more rules.

Sometimes less is more.

The issue I see with open voting is, the concern about retaliation and suppression. Lets say Comix4fun nominates me to the HoS because I swindled him and a few other people. Slym2none votes in favor of adding me to the HoS and I get added. Now one of my board friends is going to be all pissed at Slym because he voted against me, could lead to venom on the boards or maybe refusing to sell to slym because of it. Similarly, what happens if the vote doesn't pass? Now I have a list of people to be pissed at (even though I didn't get added).

Just don't be a dorkie butt.

(: :lol: (thumbs u

-slym

Basically, he's a lying liar who likes to lie out of his lie-hole.

But that is just IMHO.

:whistle:

I believe all his holes had been retrofitted to lie-holes, but I could be wrong.

hahahahaha

To be fair I am sure Slym deserved it.

OK

-slym

smashdash

twen37 aka thocelizabeth aka elizabeth7372013 on ebay aka The House Of Comics.com aka Thomas Neely and/or Elizabeth Neely

(added 6/28/13 - 14th "Hall of Shame" Member) - note - this is a different dealer than CGC board member HouseofComics.Com

The Silver-Age

Red Rocks

Probably more people finding the site. This year seemed to have more scammers and people posting books without reading the rules, so naturally other problems would surface along with that.

The consolidation of any power, perceived or real, down to a select few is ludicrous.

"You don't have to go to college. Is this Russia Danny?"

+1

Not to mention, the people who would be the absolute best choices for "council" members are those who would never take the position. And I'd probably be leery of those people who would lobby for themselves to get the position. It was said earlier, and it bears repeating because it would be true, the vote for who would be in the group would simply turn into a popularity contest. A few undeserving candidates would get in, and the whole thing would turn into a farce.

And for those complaining that the polls simply turn into the "pitchfork and torches mob" where members simply vote one way or the other do to the mob mentality, the answer is simple. Polls can be set up so that the results can't be seen until the time limit of the poll expires. Do the polls this way, and nobody will know where the vote stands until the time for the poll is finished. This seems like a better idea than the "public" voting idea, which would simply turn into a flame-war gone wild.

The consolidation of any power, perceived or real, down to a select few is ludicrous.

"You don't have to go to college. Is this Russia Danny?"

+1

Not to mention, the people who would be the absolute best choices for "council" members are those who would never take the position. And I'd probably be leery of those people who would lobby for themselves to get the position. It was said earlier, and it bears repeating because it would be true, the vote for who would be in the group would simply turn into a popularity contest. A few undeserving candidates would get in, and the whole thing would turn into a farce.

And for those complaining that the polls simply turn into the "pitchfork and torches mob" where members simply vote one way or the other do to the mob mentality, the answer is simple. Polls can be set up so that the results can't be seen until the time limit of the poll expires. Do the polls this way, and nobody will know where the vote stands until the time for the poll is finished. This seems like a better idea than the "public" voting idea, which would simply turn into a flame-war gone wild.

+ 2

I REALLY like the idea of keeping a poll secret until a set time, so folks don't lean towards a trend. I don't think I've seen an HOS poll done that way before.

smashdash

The Silver-Age

Red Rocks

Probably more people finding the site. This year seemed to have more scammers and people posting books without reading the rules, so naturally other problems would surface along with that.

Could it be that the community has become less tolerant and quicker to vote members into the HOS?

smashdash

The Silver-Age

Red Rocks

Could it be that the community has become less tolerant and quicker to vote members into the HOS?

Nah, increased newer members was almost certainly going to increase the odds of scammers and shysters trying to push their agendas here.