• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Menace is the only person ever removed from the HoS as far as I know, and his being on there was a mistake.

Not sure it's accurate to say there was a mistake. People voted, then there was more discussion and people were asked if they still felt the same after the discussion; they didn't. That means they changed their minds, not that a mistake was made.

(OK, one guy did come on and say he didn't really understand the PL/HoS - begging the question why he bothered sticking his oar in in the first place, but other than that...)

Don't be scared to ask...

I dunno. I was thinking maybe of having a way of locking the buy/sell forum so that only members who are not on a list can access it. Suppose that would be a huge pain in the ...for the mods. Blocking certain names from buy/sell for a period of time, like a strike.

Of course there is always a way to circumvent, but to think that someone cannot buy/sell for a few days might make an impact....

We should have a 4th list of dealers who sell to PL and HOS members.

I think members who are inclined to not deal with PL and HOS members would not be inclined to buy or sell to those who happily do.

Btw the beerbohm poll closed tonight at 7pm est. After a 3 week poll 142 in favor of inclusion, 7 against. Ill add him to the list when I get home.

Beerbong just called....he's encouraged by the vote totals.....

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

I'm not sure more lists are the answer.

First of all, someone gets off the probation list by correcting an action. Why would we want to punish them by putting them on some other list?

What would be the incentive to correct the action?

When someone screws up a 2nd and then a 3rd time, they are fodder for the HOS.

Three strikes...HOS.

I suggested a long time ago that we ask for custom titles for people on the list, but it didn't seem to go anywhere with the mods.

Remember, that Arch wants us to take care of the sales forum.

I think the answer is...someone who buys something here, needs to do some homework. It's no more Shangri-La than eBay is.

We have kudos threads and a search engine. I find when I'm thinking of buying from someone new that looking at their past posts will give me somewhat of a clue.

First of all, someone gets off the probation list by correcting an action. Why would we want to punish them by putting them on some other list?

Three strikes...HOS.

I suggested a long time ago that we ask for custom titles for people on the list, but it didn't seem to go anywhere with the mods.

I think the answer is...someone who buys something here, needs to do some homework. It's no more Shangri-La than eBay is.

We have kudos threads and a search engine. I find when I'm thinking of buying from someone new that looking at their past posts will give me somewhat of a clue.

All good points.

Maybe another answer is amnesty from threadcrap punishment if a HOS/PL member runs a sales thread which would allow a tasteful, tactful, posting of information regarding that members problems.

Three strikes...HOS.

Too bad the search engine is like a Red ensign on a Star Trek episode.

Three strikes...HOS.

All good points.

Maybe another answer is amnesty from threadcrap punishment if a HOS/PL member runs a sales thread which would allow a tasteful, tactful, posting of information regarding that members problems.

Do you mean add it to the sales rules like the rules template? If someone could write something up, I'd suggest that a few of us send Arch a group pm and ask if he'll allow that.

I'd be willing to start a group pm if someone came up with a simple template.

I really hate seeing thread crapping strikes. In many cases people are trying to help, but it's probably hard to sort those out from the turkeys.

Three strikes...HOS.

Too bad the search engine is like a Red ensign on a Star Trek episode.

It works much better if you follow Blowupthemoon's advice and use Google.

Three strikes...HOS.

All good points.

Do you mean add it to the sales rules like the rules template? If someone could write something up, I'd suggest that a few of us send Arch a group pm and ask if he'll allow that.

I really hate seeing thread crapping strikes. In many cases people are trying to help, but it's probably hard to sort those out from the turkeys.

Yes, something along those lines. Letting people know that a seller is a PL or HOS member is a public service. If it's done right, and not excessively, in the thread it's a positive.

I'm not the right person, lol...I'm the person who always wrote my 10 page papers in 5;)

I'd suggest

This person is on the probation list, or is a Hall of Shame Member. Please view this link before purchasing....

However, since I'm not sure what link we'd use...that probably won't work;) So maybe someone can do it better?

THEN we have to (worship) (that's the closest I could get to a begging gremlin;)

Arch.

Three strikes...HOS.

All good points.

Yes, something along those lines. Letting people know that a seller is a PL or HOS member is a public service. If it's done right, and not excessively, in the thread it's a positive.

Back when someone got a strike for threadkrapping a PL/HOS seller's thread - I did a couple templates up. I also asked did a poll to try and get a sense of how the community thought we (and/or the mods) should handle a PL/HOS member who actively sells here....it didn't get many votes or interest.

POV pretty much dumped on it with..."it's unenforcable" & the thread moved on to Rupp chasing some guy down for two dollars... lol

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=108883&Number=6629158#Post6629158

Edited by bababooey