• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

A few months back I proposed a middle ground list, basically where multiple offenders would live. If you were a multiple offender then you would be on that list indefinitely. It would not prevent you from being able to buy or sell BUT you would have a scarlet letter attached to you. There would be a forum letter similar to Arch's that the offendee would be required to post in any sales thread (Something along the lines of "I am currently on the Scarlet Letter list because I have had multiple infractions in the past and have not been a trustworthy buyer/seller" :takeit:) This would allow buyers/sellers the opportunity to know that this person has problems and may want to rethink buying/selling from them. Also people would not be able to nominate them for PL so it is kind of a "Buyer/Seller beware" act but they could still be nominated for HoS. Obviously this idea would need a lot of input and shaping from the rest of the community but it was just an idea.

I don't know if we need more lists per se, but I think this is a great idea.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this proposed "third list" a few seem so in favor of hm

We have a PL that tells us that someone hasn't completed a transaction concerning either the buying or selling of merchandise. I consider this the "I didn't pay, ship on time, etc" category.

We have a HOS that houses truly the "worst of the worst". People who have been proven consistently, deceitful coupled with absolutely no remorse is what I like to place in this category. This is the "I started a thread using stolen pictures of books to sell that I don't own" or the ole "I switched out a book I received with a lesser grade copy to send back to the unsuspecting seller" kind of things.

What good would a third category do? Basically all a third category would be good for is tell people that the person in question is an arse hole. Hell we would all be on this list.

As much as I hate the idea of an all powerful boardie... I must admit that when POV was running (and I say this knowing full well he wasn't "running" it) the Probation and Hall of Shame areas... the PL / HOS list was a MUCH more organized place.

The third list would be for the person who has been a multiple repeat offender. Someone who has been on the PL list more than once, but has been able to get off the list when it is convenient for them ( when they want to sell on the boards again ), sometimes after being on it for several months. I envision it as a fair warning list that would let a new member know that if they deal with this person, they might be taking a risk because the person has a history. 2c

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this proposed "third list" a few seem so in favor of hm

We have a PL that tells us that someone hasn't completed a transaction concerning either the buying or selling of merchandise. I consider this the "I didn't pay, ship on time, etc" category.

We have a HOS that houses truly the "worst of the worst". People who have been proven consistently, deceitful coupled with absolutely no remorse is what I like to place in this category. This is the "I started a thread using stolen pictures of books to sell that I don't own" or the ole "I switched out a book I received with a lesser grade copy to send back to the unsuspecting seller" kind of things.

What good would a third category do? Basically all a third category would be good for is tell people that the person in question is an arse hole. Hell we would all be on this list.

As much as I hate the idea of an all powerful boardie... I must admit that when POV was running (and I say this knowing full well he wasn't "running" it) the Probation and Hall of Shame areas... the PL / HOS list was a MUCH more organized place.

The third list would be for the person who has been a multiple repeat offender. Someone who has been on the PL list more than once, but has been able to get off the list when it is convenient for them ( when they want to sell on the boards again ), sometimes after being on it for several months. I envision it as a fair warning list that would let a new member know that if they deal with this person, they might be taking a risk because the person has a history. 2c

I understand this.

Ok lets use Brent from Quality Comics as an example. And Brent don't think I'm singling you out because I have bought off you from here and ebay and you have always been professional. I just use your case as an example ;)

Brent was on the PL list once for not sending out invoices in a timely manner sometime last year. Let's say that he might get behind again during show season THIS year and get behind again... thus being put on the PL list again. Now anyone that knows Brent knows he will fix this, and be off the PL list... but he has now been on the PL list twice.

In your scenario... where QC is now a "repeat offender"... do you really think Brent needs to be placed on a separate list stating that he is a risk? I'd say Brent wouldn't like that and I know that I wouldn't.

Then you have the bending of the wording of the third list... like "well I meant a person with history other than Brent" or "that guy was on the PL list twice for reasons worse than Brent".

It would be a nightmare to keep up with and enforce. (shrug)

People voted in a the heat of the moment and that is also why Menace was voted in so quickly as well...

I was right in the thick of it.

You are not a victim here Tony, so stop acting like one.

Would you like to address the issue of having your foreign comics collection (you know, the ones you hype all the time?) on commission at a local shop, only to have the owner catch you in multiple lies, thus forcing immediate removal of all your books?

What goes around comes around, pal...

I understand this.

Ok lets use Brent from Quality Comics as an example. And Brent don't think I'm singling you out because I have bought off you from here and ebay and you have always been professional. I just use your case as an example ;)

Brent was on the PL list once for not sending out invoices in a timely manner sometime last year. Let's say that he might get behind again during show season THIS year and get behind again... thus being put on the PL list again. Now anyone that knows Brent knows he will fix this, and be off the PL list... but he has now been on the PL list twice.

In your scenario... where QC is now a "repeat offender"... do you really think Brent needs to be placed on a separate list stating that he is a risk? I'd say Brent wouldn't like that and I know that I wouldn't.

Then you have the bending of the wording of the third list... like "well I meant a person with history other than Brent" or "that guy was on the PL list twice for reasons worse than Brent".

I would think that most people wouldn't like being on a list that had a negative connotation, but if it's deserved, I wouldn't worry about their feelings too much.

There would be really nothing to enforce per se, it would just be list to warn people that if you deal with said person it might not go smoothly as they have a history.

I am not sure how a potential, alleged, unsubstantiated difficulty with the language in any way changes or explains away any of the things he's said, and then repeated, and then reworded, and then repeated and in no way lessened the impact of the lies.

I see your point, a lie is a lie in any language. I am not a fan of liars or condone lying by any means but is it HOS worthy?

P.S. - you are one of my favorite posters on this message board so there is no chance of me getting into an arguement with you. :sumo::foryou:

If it has to do with altering a deal....why not? Is the HoS only for people who steal money? What about the guy on the HoS who just reneged on a deal and didn't pay the large sum he owed. I could be wrong...and please correct me if I am, but I believe the seller didn't lose the book...he just never got paid what he was promised.

No, I don't look at the HoS as only being for people who steal money but rather a list of people who did something so wrong and caused problems beyond repair.

If the reason he is on there is for altering a deal why would he not just be put on the PL so he could have a chance to make right of his transaction that went bad? I believe he said he contacted the involved party to try to work things out. Was that not the case? I could be wrong on that since there are so many pages to this whole thing.

Please do not take offense to this, but maybe you should get all the facts on this issue before weighing in on it.

Like you did when you 1st voted to include Menace in the HOS? lol

I am not sure how a potential, alleged, unsubstantiated difficulty with the language in any way changes or explains away any of the things he's said, and then repeated, and then reworded, and then repeated and in no way lessened the impact of the lies.

I see your point, a lie is a lie in any language. I am not a fan of liars or condone lying by any means but is it HOS worthy?

P.S. - you are one of my favorite posters on this message board so there is no chance of me getting into an arguement with you. :sumo::foryou:

If it has to do with altering a deal....why not? Is the HoS only for people who steal money? What about the guy on the HoS who just reneged on a deal and didn't pay the large sum he owed. I could be wrong...and please correct me if I am, but I believe the seller didn't lose the book...he just never got paid what he was promised.

No, I don't look at the HoS as only being for people who steal money but rather a list of people who did something so wrong and caused problems beyond repair.

If the reason he is on there is for altering a deal why would he not just be put on the PL so he could have a chance to make right of his transaction that went bad? I believe he said he contacted the involved party to try to work things out. Was that not the case? I could be wrong on that since there are so many pages to this whole thing.

Please do not take offense to this, but maybe you should get all the facts on this issue before weighing in on it.

No, I had all the facts on that one.

People voted in a the heat of the moment and that is also why Menace was voted in so quickly as well...

Would you like to address the issue of having your foreign comics collection (you know, the ones you hype all the time?) on commission at a local shop, only to have the owner catch you in multiple lies, thus forcing immediate removal of all your books?

SC1 Dishonest?

1032.gif

:eyeroll:

:eyeroll:

You can roll your eyes all you like. There's a part of me that still feels he belongs there. I'm tired of the people on the PL list who obviously don't care about the people they're affecting and only attempt to make things right when it affects their business.

I understand this.

I would think that most people wouldn't like being on a list that had a negative connotation, but if it's deserved, I wouldn't worry about their feelings too much.

There would be really nothing to enforce per se, it would just be list to warn people that if you deal with said person it might not go smoothly as they have a history.

You have the PL list, the HOS list and your memory.

I wonder who would vote to put me on this third list hm

SC1 Dishonest?

1032.gif

I love it when the layers of the onion are peeled back.

This thing wouldn't need to be structured as a "scarlet letter" list that people are "added" to. It would accomplish the same end if we just kept the institutional memory of the probation list historical activity in an easy to access summarized location. That is, simply keep a documented "list" of probation list removals. Simply something like this:

PROBATION LIST REMOVALS

1/17/05 Boardie X was removed from the PL

3/24/05 Boardie Y was removed from the PL

7/18/06 Boardie Z was removed from the PL

9/27/07 Boardie X was removed from the PL

Stickie this thing at the top of the discussion area, just next to the thread that contains the actual PL. If this was easy to access, it would be trivial for me to see that Boardie X has been on the PL twice, and I can use that information as I see fit. Tough to argue with simply trying to summarize instutional history. This wouldn't have the connotation of putting someone on a list, but the info is there nonetheless. (shrug)

I understand this.

What about new members? This list would mainly be for them.

This thing wouldn't need to be structured as a "scarlet letter" list that people are "added" to. It would accomplish the same end if we just kept the institutional memory of the probation list historical activity in an easy to access summarized location. That is, simply keep a documented "list" of probation list removals. Simply something like this:

PROBATION LIST REMOVALS

Stickie this thing at the top of the discussion area, just next to the thread that contains the actual PL. If this was easy to access, it would be trivial for me to see that Boardie X has been on the PL twice, and I can use that information as I see fit. Tough to argue with simply trying to summarize instutional history. This wouldn't have the connotation of putting someone on a list, but the info is there nonetheless. (shrug)

I agree, it would be hard to object to the existence of a list such as this, which merely restates existing facts. If the list were ordered alphabetically rather than by date it would achieve the objective, yes?

PROBATION LIST REMOVALS

I agree, it would be hard to object to the existence of a list such as this, which merely restates existing facts. If the list were ordered alphabetically rather than by date it would achieve the objective, yes?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I understand this.

The majority of new members don't know the existing lists exist.

Since you are in favor of constant knowledge by both new and old members... perhaps PL members shouldn't be deleted from the PL board. Perhaps if they correct their wrongs, they just be left on the list.

Maybe change the color of their name to denote they were on the list but got off it.

This way, everyone who was ever on the list is still on it, but cleared by the masses to conduct business. Will this branding appease the Board Reich?

I understand this.

Since you are in favor of constant knowledge by both new and old members... perhaps PL members shouldn't be delete from the PL board. Perhaps if they correct their wrongs, they just be left on the list.

Maybe change the color of their name to denote they were on the list but got off it.

This way, everyone who was ever on the list is still on it, but cleared by the masses to conduct business. Will this branding appease the Board Reich?

Edit: not worth it.

Edited by Logan510

I understand this.

Since you are in favor of constant knowledge by both new and old members... perhaps PL members shouldn't be delete from the PL board. Perhaps if they correct their wrongs, they just be left on the list.

Edit: not worth it.

Seems a lot easier than trying to keep up with who is on the list... who is off the list... and how many times someone has been on the list by making another list. (shrug)