• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I have never heard of this,is it really going on? Heritage shilling auctions?

My memory is for spoon, but it was discussed a ton a while ago. Do a search in CG and I'm sure you'll find it. It was a huge deal for a while around here. I have no idea if they still do it, or to what extent they did it in the past.

It's completely legal in TX (where Heritage is based), so I'm assuming they're still doing it :shrug:

This is serious and was discussed at length before? They really DO shill their auctions?! :eek::o I feel like I've bought so many books via their Sunday auctions! :facepalm:

O yeah man, it's totally serious. They created at least one fake account, with a name and everything, that they used just for shilling. Bosco will find the thread and resurrect it.

:o

I think it is gone. Even through Google it doesn't come up. Let me keep trying.

But you are right, Speedy. It was about the one account they used that would bid books up, and somehow the fellow involved parted ways with Heritage and wanted his perceived owed fees.

I was totally blown away by that thread, though those with more experience here knew of Texas treating shilling of auctions as legal.

My memory is for spoon, but it was discussed a ton a while ago. Do a search in CG and I'm sure you'll find it. It was a huge deal for a while around here. I have no idea if they still do it, or to what extent they did it in the past.

It's completely legal in TX (where Heritage is based), so I'm assuming they're still doing it :shrug:

This is serious and was discussed at length before? They really DO shill their auctions?! :eek::o I feel like I've bought so many books via their Sunday auctions! :facepalm:

O yeah man, it's totally serious. They created at least one fake account, with a name and everything, that they used just for shilling. Bosco will find the thread and resurrect it.

Does Steve Borock know about this? :eek:

lol I'm sure he missed the thread.

I'm not trying to disparage Steve, as you say he seems like a really good, upright kinda fellow (and is wise enough to love Jerry!!!). But that doesn't automatically mean Heritage can do no wrong.

I don't care

Quite funny really,just don't biotch when you ever get screwed over by someone.

Would Jimmy still have the right though to biotch if he did NOT get his books?

Nominate for PL too?

Yes.

Nope. I'm sure that wouldn't stop him from moaning about it, though.

Oh so, new rule? You can no longer nominate to the PL? Good to know.

But the person he's dealing with is already on the PL - that's the whole point.

That Jimmy doesn't care about the PL and will deal with anyone willing to throw $ at him is his prerogative - just like it's the community's prerogative to tell him to suck it when the deal eventually goes sour.

Gotcha. He could still nominate and be one of the people to be made whole before Symbiotic is removed. (thumbs u

:gossip: Symbiotic isn't on the PL.

Then who are we talking about? lol

I came in this thread after the suggestion of "jimmy should know better"

I said it before and I'll say it again. Heritage Shills. HERITAGE SHILLS ALL THE TIME, THEY TELL YOU THEY SHILL.

He apologized and said he wouldn't do it again. HAS HERITAGE EVER APOLOGIZED?

So yeah, I don't care. This entire discussion thread is just high school gossip wildly_fanciful_statement. Go back a few pages and you'll see I had to ask who you guys were talking about after the "jimmy should know better".

So yeah - I don't care about when the discussions are stupid.

Ive never bought or will buy from heritage either..keep on supporting the scum jimmy its noble work your doing

You have a certain way of saying things which makes me instinctively want to disagree.

you may disagree everyone is entitled to their opinion. How you could support what I'm arguing against is beyond me though

'Cuz you're getting so heated and self-righteous, it's off-putting.

Im sorry if Im not nice enough in my argument against the shady people on these boards and those who support them. I will try to be nicer when talking about those who rip people off and their supporters.

Depends on what you consider "shady".

Some might feel that a buyer who pitches a fit because a seller won't refund him the full purchase price and let him keep the book a tad "shady".

Edited by Number 6

Im sorry if Im not nice enough in my argument against the shady people on these boards and those who support them. I will try to be nicer when talking about those who rip people off and their supporters.

Some might feel that a buyer who pitches a fit because a seller won't refund him the full purchase price and let him keep the book a tad "shady".

hm care to elaborate?

hm care to elaborate?

Ill elaborate for you

I had nomiated zombizzy to the PL for not honoring a requested refund on a book and it was let go for months, he came back, gave another boardie in the same situation a full refund and allowed to keep the book. so i simply asked for the same thing in a mocking sort of way even though all I wanted was a full refund for returning the book. We ended up after a few more weeks me sending the book back for a full refund.

hm care to elaborate?

Ill elaborate for you

I had nomiated zombizzy to the PL for not honoring a requested refund on a book and it was let go for months, he came back, gave another boardie in the same situation a full refund and allowed to keep the book. so i simply asked for the same thing in a mocking sort of way even though all I wanted was a full refund for returning the book. We ended up after a few more weeks me sending the book back for a full refund.

My recollection is there was a lot more back-and-forth about it, and you seemed pretty serious about it at the time.

Edited by Number 6

hm care to elaborate?

Ill elaborate for you

My recollection is there was a lot more back-and-forth about it, and you seemed pretty serious about it at the time.

I had never mentioned it until the other boardie brought it up thats the option he was given. SO why shouldn't I be entitled to the same thing right? I didn't care about keeping the book, it was more of a point to show how shady this Zombizzy was with selling which is what I pointed out at the time of the discussion.

:o

I think it is gone. Even through Google it doesn't come up. Let me keep trying.

But you are right, Speedy. It was about the one account they used that would bid books up, and somehow the fellow involved parted ways with Heritage and wanted his perceived owed fees.

I was totally blown away by that thread, though those with more experience here knew of Texas treating shilling of auctions as legal.

???

I cannot find that thread. And I have searched through Google "Heritage auction shill", "Heritage shill account", etc.

I'll keep searching. But it was quite an interesting case to read.

hm care to elaborate?

Ill elaborate for you

I had never mentioned it until the other boardie brought it up thats the option he was given. SO why shouldn't I be entitled to the same thing right? I didn't care about keeping the book, it was more of a point to show how shady this Zombizzy was with selling which is what I pointed out at the time of the discussion.

:facepalm:

I only point this out because you seem to be genuinely mystified as to why some might find your pounding the soap box about this issue a bit off-putting.

I pound the soap box because of that situation specifically. It took a good six months to get it straightened out and nobody should have to go through it on here. When you have people supporting it though, its aggravating.

I only point this out because you seem to be genuinely mystified as to why some might find your pounding the soap box about this issue a bit off-putting.

I pound the soap box because of that situation specifically. It took a good six months to get it straightened out and nobody should have to go through it on here. When you have people supporting it though, its aggravating.

lol

This report includes an interview with Greg Rohan, President of Heritage, in which he defends the use of the “N.P. Gresham” bidding account. An excerpt:

Heritage has denied the accusations in court, and while company president Greg Rohan acknowledges that his company has been using the pseudonym N.P. Gresham for approximately 25 years to place bids in its own auctions as well as others, he stresses that there’s nothing “sinister” about Heritage’s bidding practices.

“The claims made by Hendershott are a complete distortion of the facts and the law,” Rohan says.

Rohan says an accounting clerk developed the fake name when Heritage needed a mechanism for invoicing between its two companies — the auction house and its direct purchase and sale company — and it uses two account numbers for Gresham to keep some transactions separate “for internal reporting reasons.” He claims the N.P. stands for “new purchase” but doesn’t know the significance of Gresham.

“The characterization fake bidder is entirely Hendershott’s and his attorneys’,” he says, “and is utterly false and misleading.”

Although Rohan argues that while it’s “perfectly legal” for an auction house or its affiliates to bid in its own auctions without disclosure, Heritage discloses its interest at the back of auction catalogs and online in its listed terms and conditions. The terms read: “The Auctioneer or its affiliates may consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots.”

“There’s nothing illegal or unethical about us placing a bid prior to the auction starting,” Rohan says, adding that Heritage doesn’t compete or bid during auctions.

I have never bought anything from Heritage,but with that said.I trust and greatly respect Steve Borock,so I would have no hesitation in buying anything from a company he is affiliated with.

Even though they shill their auctions? Heritage did well to hire Steve. Having a reputable person affiliated with you goes a long to clean up a tarnished image.

Except it's not actually shilling, except in the way that only the most minimal of intellects comprehend.

It's a lump in that people far and wide use to equivocate their own questionable ethics sets while never fully understanding what they're talking about.

Does Steve Borock know about this? :eek:

Beware incredibly over-simplified internet summaries. They only bear a scant resemblance to the full story.

Interesting enough, when you can find it on here, it is fellow forumites joking about bidding on a Golden Age book, and hoping N.P. Gresham leaves it alone.

doh!