• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

My understanding is that HA can only place house bids in their regular auctions held in Texas. I believe that regulations in CA and NY preclude their doing so for auctions held there.

My recollection is that HA has said that when employees place bids, they do so without knowledge of bidders' proxy maximums.

I'm not aware of a New York law prohibiting an auction house from bidding, just dealing with sellers not being allowed to bid on their own wares. 2-328 of the UCC says that if a seller or someone on behalf of the seller bids on their goods, then the eventual buyer can elect to pay the last "Good Faith" bid. http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$UCC2-328$$@TXUCC02-328+&LIST=SEA71+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=35140414+&TARGET=VIEW that differs from Texas law which allows the seller to bid on their goods.

If Vince is around id be interested to hear his take on this. If Metropolis was trying to acquire a piece but the owner was adamant about putting it to auction and used Comic Connect, would Metropolis be allowed (by their policies) to bid on it?

My understanding is that HA can only place house bids in their regular auctions held in Texas. I believe that regulations in CA and NY preclude their doing so for auctions held there.

My recollection is that HA has said that when employees place bids, they do so without knowledge of bidders' proxy maximums.

Given my experience bidding and my knowledge of their terms this is 100% correct.

This is so "behind the scenes", I think none of us would know the full details either way. Especially if shilling was occurring, what auctions get the shill attention, and which don't.

To shill everything would put them out of business in the end as the market would come to realize what was going on. Especially after the NP Gresham news came out. But on some auctions involving high-dollar books, that is a huge risk to take if someone bids $2 MM, they bid $2.1 MM, and another bid doesn't come through. But less risky if you can see they have a hidden bid of $2.1 MM and the auction house bids just below this.

Given my experience bidding and my knowledge of their terms this is 100% correct.

This is so "behind the scenes", I think none of us would know the full details either way. Especially if shilling was occurring, what auctions get the shill attention, and which don't.

To shill everything would put them out of business in the end as the market would come to realize what was going on. Especially after the NP Gresham news came out. But on some auctions involving high-dollar books, that is a huge risk to take if someone bids $2 MM, they bid $2.1 MM, and another bid doesn't come through. But less risky if you can see they have a hidden bid of $2.1 MM and the auction house bids just below this.

Good call. To shill EVERY auction would be insane, but for the occasional employee or agent who gets a cut of the commission (who needs slightly more this month) who has a coworker friend who can see the bids....

It still seems sketchy to me at a gut level. I can totally see, as HA, doing a bit of simple math and figuring out when it'd make sense to bid something up a bit while minimizing the risk of an accidental win.

As I'm sure is obvious, I don't know anything about the rules or the laws...I'm that guy on the Internet with nothing backing his opinion. :) I've come to trust Chris' positions on things of this nature, so I'll accept that nothing untoward is going on...but I won't be 100% surprised should any shocking developments pop up any time in the future.

It still seems sketchy to me at a gut level. I can totally see, as HA, doing a bit of simple math and figuring out when it'd make sense to bid something up a bit while minimizing the risk of an accidental win.

As I'm sure is obvious, I don't know anything about the rules or the laws...I'm that guy on the Internet with nothing backing his opinion. :) I've come to trust Chris' positions on things of this nature, so I'll accept that nothing untoward is going on...but I won't be 100% surprised should any shocking developments pop up any time in the future.

Logically, I just can't imagine anyone running Heritage would ever jeopardize a business that makes $10's of millions a year in order to squeeze another drop of juice when the glass is already full. The potential benefit is so drastically outweighed by the potential cost of those actions that I can't imagine anything institutionally illegal occurring or being their internal policy.

Logically, I just can't imagine anyone running Heritage would ever jeopardize a business that makes $10's of millions a year in order to squeeze another drop of juice when the glass is already full. The potential benefit is so drastically outweighed by the potential cost of those actions that I can't imagine anything institutionally illegal occurring or being their internal policy.

Yep, I hear you. But you can see how people might be uneasy with the fact that that ability is there, and legal.

From what I can tell, this was the last PL situation on the table, pending resolution, right?

I think he is laying low since his shilling was discovered and he took a (deserved) beating. Hasn't posted since 1/23/2014. Which is a VERY long time for him. I hope you are made whole Dale.

Doesn't look good.

Dale, If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was the transaction? He got caught shilling (great job Joe) and then reset his bids and someone won a cgc'd book for .99+shipping and he refused to send so he got negged. Got raked over in General for it and has been gone ever since. I REALLY don't want to see you get burned, you're always so nice to me at NYCC :(

I think I sent the invoice about January 8th. He has been pretty straight forward all along, that he needed to sell some stuff before he sent payment, and that's fine. He asked me to give him a couple of weeks and that's fine too. Just hope he comes through.

I intend to give him every shot to make it right.

So, (@ Dale) has HusTruck paid this invoice yet? If not, when are the 30 days up for purposes of PL nomination?

Logically, I just can't imagine anyone running Heritage would ever jeopardize a business that makes $10's of millions a year in order to squeeze another drop of juice when the glass is already full.

Does not seem so far fetched to me, but to each his own.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1227/156.html

I'm not aware of a New York law prohibiting an auction house from bidding, just dealing with sellers not being allowed to bid on their own wares. 2-328 of the UCC says that if a seller or someone on behalf of the seller bids on their goods, then the eventual buyer can elect to pay the last "Good Faith" bid. http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$UCC2-328$$@TXUCC02-328+&LIST=SEA71+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=35140414+&TARGET=VIEW that differs from Texas law which allows the seller to bid on their goods.

If Vince is around id be interested to hear his take on this. If Metropolis was trying to acquire a piece but the owner was adamant about putting it to auction and used Comic Connect, would Metropolis be allowed (by their policies) to bid on it?

Interesting. Thanks for clearing up that point.

To keep the Probation Thread clear, is this a topic we need to re-animate in Comics General to get it all out?

It seems to be one that many still have questions about, and points to make.

(shrug)

I thought the PL Discussion thread was CG now.

To keep the Probation Thread clear, is this a topic we need to re-animate in Comics General to get it all out?

(shrug)

Definitely a great place to work out kinks in your HTML ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

(shrug)

The throwing of mess has to be more precise here.

Exactly. I really try to pay attention to my interests and be fair in my dealings. I've seen many books I thought were fantastic deals turn into complete shills...

Case in point, saw a Sandman #1 with apparent Gaiman sig and sketch(He highlighted the eyes in pen) and the phrase "Sweet dreams" on the cover.

Pretty damn cool....but the bonus was the Kieth signature on the SECOND page, IDENTICAL to his sig on the covers of The Maxx series. Anyone who collects Keith knows he does not sign his books that way. Went into discussion with the seller about where they obtained the books. Reply was, " Some yard sale a week ago".

???

Why would this be a red flag? I own a stack of books signed by Kieth where he used his artist signature ...

Pics

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18110&GSub=870

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18109&GSub=870

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18108&GSub=870

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=12685&GSub=870

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=19144&GSub=868

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=19143&GSub=868

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=16897&GSub=868

It's much rarer to see a Kieth CGC SS book where he didn't sign with his artist signature.

Nice collection. However you will notice that the sigs are not signed like they are in his OA as I stated...

This is the book you mentioned:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sandman-signed-neil-gaiman-inscribed-477466753

Image%202014-02-02%20at%209.52.20%20PM.png

Image%202014-02-02%20at%209.52.57%20PM.png

I own multiple raw Sandmans signed by both Gaiman & Kieth ... done at various store signings throughout the 90s - they're all pre-CGC and their signatures look no different than the ones in the photos above (including Kieth writing out all the letters of his last name).

So, no, that isn't a forgery.

hm

I've never come across that, ever. But I suppose I DONT have any of his sigs from the '80s or '90s so cannot say for sure.

(shrug)

The throwing of mess has to be more precise here.

lol

From what I can tell, this was the last PL situation on the table, pending resolution, right?

I think he is laying low since his shilling was discovered and he took a (deserved) beating. Hasn't posted since 1/23/2014. Which is a VERY long time for him. I hope you are made whole Dale.

Doesn't look good.

Dale, If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was the transaction? He got caught shilling (great job Joe) and then reset his bids and someone won a cgc'd book for .99+shipping and he refused to send so he got negged. Got raked over in General for it and has been gone ever since. I REALLY don't want to see you get burned, you're always so nice to me at NYCC :(

I think I sent the invoice about January 8th. He has been pretty straight forward all along, that he needed to sell some stuff before he sent payment, and that's fine. He asked me to give him a couple of weeks and that's fine too. Just hope he comes through.

So, (@ Dale) has HusTruck paid this invoice yet? If not, when are the 30 days up for purposes of PL nomination?

I'm going to go ahead and say, that I've had a very high $$$ transaction with HusTruck (in the $1k range) and it went smooth as butter. I think some of the reason he is coming across as a flake, is because he is a noob trying to act like a pro. I don't think he is truly dishonest. I don't. Made a few mistakes, misjudged his money, YES>Dishonest? No

Doesn't look good.

I'm going to go ahead and say, that I've had a very high $$$ transaction with HusTruck (in the $1k range) and it went smooth as butter. I think some of the reason he is coming across as a flake, is because he is a noob trying to act like a pro. I don't think he is truly dishonest. I don't. Made a few mistakes, misjudged his money, YES>Dishonest? No

Was your transaction a trade or a $1,000 sale?

Doesn't look good.

Gijoeisawesome. I am glad you had a good transaction with him. But a broken clock is still right twice a day. Remember he came in here day one blasting an established store owner and bashing him, leveling ridiculous charges all because he wanted to drum up business for himself. He lowballed a charity thread (I mean come on, really?!) He was caught shilling his own eBay sales, which he advertised extensively on these boards (after BLASTING Symbiotic for doing the same thing, guess he got inspired) Then after getting caught, he reset his auction. Someone won his Action Comics book, he refused to send it out (because it was won for .99c + shipping) and then he "gave" that same book to his friend as an engagement present.

To me and many members of the boards his name is mud. I know I would never do a deal with him. I'm glad you didn't get burned, but these are not the actions of a n00b.

Doesn't look good.

Was your transaction a trade or a $1,000 sale?

If you know me, you know I rarely buy and sell.