• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Can someone explain why ocean kid is on the PL. From reading it seemed he told the buyer twice he didn't want to sell the book.

Why is he on the list? I'm not being facetious I'm just wondering what I missed.(shrug)

He didn't tell the buyer he didn't want to sell. He hinted he may not want to sell. Some would say he was bartering. (thumbs u

Didn't the person nominating him post the PM exchange where he states I'm going to keep the book and the buyer just plowed forward?

The argument of those wishing for the seller to be on the PL is that the statement "I think I'm just going to keep it" is open to discussion/debate and what he was really doing is bartering.

Despite the fact that "think" is defined in this context as "believe", which means the seller stated I believe I'm just going to keep it. My guess is it's a regional thing. I hear people say "I think this" or "I think that" and know that's fact according to them. I don't take it as they want me to convince them otherwise. (shrug)

That is a very valid point and perhaps why we are going around in circles. I honestly 100% believe that wording, based on his past actions, means he was holding out for full price or more money.

Well he wasn't holding out for "full price" - he was "negotiating & bartering" with jawn via PM to ensure that he could convince him to buy the book when he listed it on ebay 14 or whatever hours later...

sigh.... now we are back to insulting instead of listening to other people's valid point of view. Liberal logic at its best.

If you ever want a discussion here you have to ignore the insults and move forward. This the boardie way. (thumbs u

Sweet, so in the future when people sell stuff they can just tell the buyer they changed their mind. (thumbs u

Apparently and any buyer can also change their mind. (thumbs u

Edited by Branget

dc comics presents 26

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

Hello,

Would you happen to know if the DC Comics Presents is a newsstand or direct?

Thanks,

John

Top Edit Edit Reply Reply Quote Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply Quick Quote Quick Quote

Unread By: none

#5152750 - 04/30/14 07:44 PM Re: dc comics presents 26

oceanavekid Offline

Talkative?

Loc: Sacramento, California

Not sure sorry

Probably going to just hold on to it till I'm able to take pictures

Top Reply Reply Quote Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply Quick Quote Quick Quote

#5152914 - 04/30/14 08:38 PM Re: dc comics presents 26

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

Would you do $100 for it?

Top Edit Edit Reply Reply Quote Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply Quick Quote Quick Quote

#5153251 - 04/30/14 09:56 PM Re: dc comics presents 26

oceanavekid Offline

Talkative?

Already had someone offer that. It might be priced low at $110

Think I'm just going to hold on to it

Thanks tho

#5153883 - Yesterday at 04:13 AM Re: dc comics presents 26

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

Ok I'll take it for $110.

This is what I read.

So where is the definitive keeping of the book?

For realz?

The guy suggested twice that he was going to keep the book. If the buyer perceived it differently by the sellers syntax, tough titties.

I'm still not understanding where the transgression was? Was he not literal enough? Honestly this is ridiculous.

Ok. So where does the obligation to follow through with :takeit: start? If this is ridiculous then where is the line. Nobody seems to be able to even try and answer this.

Allow me. The seller is only obligated to sell the book when they agree to a :takeit: . Sellers put twenty reasons why they won't sell to someone so by a buyer simply posting a :takeit: does not a sale make. Now in this case that didn't even happen. The buyer asked a question which was answered by a I'm going to keep the book. Then he made a lower offer than the asking price that the seller responded again with I'm going to keep the book. Then the buyer simply states I'll take it, ignoring the two times the seller stated he was keeping the book.

You're arguing for clarification for a situation that didn't occur.

Can someone explain why ocean kid is on the PL. From reading it seemed he told the buyer twice he didn't want to sell the book.

Why is he on the list? I'm not being facetious I'm just wondering what I missed.(shrug)

He didn't tell the buyer he didn't want to sell. He hinted he may not want to sell. Some would say he was bartering. (thumbs u

Didn't the person nominating him post the PM exchange where he states I'm going to keep the book and the buyer just plowed forward?

Mike, here is the PM convo.

2u8xmrk.jpg

14sh9bk.jpg

nxvw2s.jpg

23wso3o.jpg

The grey area is the "probably" and "think I'm going to" but never closing the thread over 6 hours later despite posting in other threads. He had time to close the thread - he didn't. Books were still for sale. (shrug)

With all due respect, who cares?

The seller is not beholden to anyone to close the thread if they change their mind. The guy states twice that he is going to keep the book. The deeper reading into his choice of words or failure to close the thread means zero. He did nothing wrong.

I asked this question in the General Discussion thread earlier, so I'll ask it here as well:

I guess I'm just confused re: if a buyer nominates a seller for a book that he :takeit: in an open sales thread and the seller doesn't sell him the book even though the buyer isn't on any sort of list - how does the seller NOT end up on the Probation List?

Putting all other discussion about the merits or faults in this instance aside, does any of this arguing back and forth actually matter?

The HOS is a poll with clear vote result. It's black and white with a definitive answer. The Probation List is simply a person makes a "nomination" but there really isn't any sort of a vote. ??? So no matter which side we argue, isn't all of the power (as the system currently stands) with the nominator? I mean, if several people feel that something is NOT probation worthy and several feel that it is, how is the final determination made? (shrug)

dc comics presents 26

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

Hello,

Thanks,

John

oceanavekid Offline

Talkative?

Not sure sorry

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

oceanavekid Offline

Talkative?

Thanks tho

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

This is what I read.

For realz?

The guy suggested twice that he was going to keep the book. If the buyer perceived it differently by the sellers syntax, tough titties.

I'm still not understanding where the transgression was? Was he not literal enough? Honestly this is ridiculous.

Ok. So where does the obligation to follow through with :takeit: start? If this is ridiculous then where is the line. Nobody seems to be able to even try and answer this.

Allow me. The seller is only obligated to sell the book when they agree to a :takeit: . Sellers put twenty reasons why they won't sell to someone so by a buyer simply posting a :takeit: does not a sale make. Now in this case that didn't even happen. The buyer asked a question which was answered by a I'm going to keep the book. Then he made a lower offer than the asking price that the seller responded again with I'm going to keep the book. Then the buyer simply states I'll take it, ignoring the two times the seller stated he was keeping the book.

You're arguing for clarification for a situation that didn't occur.

I do not see what you just said in any way. He made an offer, seller stated he may keep the book and the buyer posted :takeit:

As it stands right now a seller states his rules up from and does not have unilateral authority to ignore :takeit:

Whether they should be able to even if a buyer followed all the rules is something we can discuss. Keeping in mind that the more outs you give the seller then the same should be given to the buyer.

dc comics presents 26

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

Hello,

Thanks,

John

oceanavekid Offline

Talkative?

Not sure sorry

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

oceanavekid Offline

Talkative?

Thanks tho

jawn Online content

Hobbyist

This is what I read.

For realz?

But if he was going to keep the book, why would he list it on eBay?

2u8xmrk.jpg

14sh9bk.jpg

nxvw2s.jpg

23wso3o.jpg

The grey area is the "probably" and "think I'm going to" but never closing the thread over 6 hours later despite posting in other threads. He had time to close the thread - he didn't. Books were still for sale. (shrug)

The seller is not beholden to anyone to close the thread if they change their mind. The guy states twice that he is going to keep the book. The deeper reading into his choice of words or failure to close the thread means zero. He did nothing wrong.

I asked this question in the General Discussion thread earlier, so I'll ask it here as well:

I guess I'm just confused re: if a buyer nominates a seller for a book that he :takeit: in an open sales thread and the seller doesn't sell him the book even though the buyer isn't on any sort of list - how does the seller NOT end up on the Probation List?

Putting all other discussion about the merits or faults in this instance aside, does any of this arguing back and forth actually matter?

The HOS is a poll with clear vote result. It's black and white with a definitive answer. The Probation List is simply a person makes a "nomination" but there really isn't any sort of a vote. ??? So no matter which side we argue, isn't all of the power (as the system currently stands) with the nominator? I mean, if several people feel that something is NOT probation worthy and several feel that it is, how is the final determination made? (shrug)

You added him, so you should be answering the last question. In my opinion, there should be clear proof or an overwhelming majority BUT it comes down to who takes the initiative to add him doesn't it?

So, you tell us....a few months ago we had a HOS polls every time someone sneezed without covering their mouth.

:popcorn:

While I can't say I know exactly how the last regime handled these types of things, all I can think back to is Manicnerd trying to nominate someone for a PIF offence. That was shot down from on high. No muss no fuss. (If I'm not mistaken it was Poverty_Row who made that decision)

Honestly, I think right now there's a culture of "nominate now, ask questions later"

Which isn't really the best way of handling things.

There's also the issue of looking at the attitude of the offending parties and not the transgression itself.

2u8xmrk.jpg

14sh9bk.jpg

nxvw2s.jpg

23wso3o.jpg

You added him, so you should be answering the last question. In my opinion, there should be clear proof or an overwhelming majority BUT it comes down to who takes the initiative to add him doesn't it?

So, you tell us....a few months ago we had a HOS polls every time someone sneezed without covering their mouth.

For the PL the way it is now someone nominates, discussion and addition. There has to be a clear reason the nominated party should not be on the PL.

While I can't say I know exactly how the last regime handled these types of things, all I can think back to is Manicnerd trying to nominate someone for a PIF offence. That was shot down from on high. No muss no fuss. (If I'm not mistaken it was Poverty_Row who made that decision)

Honestly, I think right now there's a culture of "nominate now, ask questions later"

There's also the issue of looking at the attitude of the offending parties and not the transgression itself.

There was a lot of muss, fuss and name calling on that nomination. That guy essentially stole those comics and never showed up on the boards again.

There was a lot of muss, fuss and name calling on that nomination. That guy essentially stole those comics and never showed up on the boards again.

But was he nominated to the PL/HOS?

But if he was going to keep the book, why would he list it on eBay?
Hold not keep.

No one is arguing that the seller wanted the book for anything but resale at a higher price.

Which is exactly what he got when the buyer agreed to pay the asking price :shrug:

No matter how this whole situation turns out, it's clear that sellers need to specifically state their intentions. If you're keeping the book, say "I'm holding onto it." Instead of saying "It's priced too low as it is," say "I'm listing it on eBay. I can get more there."

The seller controls the asking price. If they want more, ask more.

But was he nominated to the PL/HOS?

Manicnerd withdrew his nomination after being lambasted by several members. That was the origin of the term Junk Donkey.

2u8xmrk.jpg

14sh9bk.jpg

nxvw2s.jpg

23wso3o.jpg

For the PL the way it is now someone nominates, discussion and addition. There has to be a clear reason the nominated party should not be on the PL.

That's fine for the second part - initially the nominator has to prove there's a PL worthy infraction.

You should read the original discussion. You aren't making any sense.

1) Thread was inactive for 8 days.

2) Buyer inquired about book, and was told TWICE that it was being kept.

3) Buyer got angry and put BIN in thread, even after being told the books were not available.

4) Book was listed on eBay.

5) Ocean pizzed and moaned when nominated for PL.

It was actually 6 days 5 1/2 hours dormant. 8:44 PM CST on April 24...to 3:14 AM CST on May 1.

Not that it makes much difference but if you are recapping we should probably correct that part.

Also, it should be noted that if we are placing weight on the seller's claim that it wasn't for sale because he was "holding on to it" then weight should be placed on the seller then posting it for sale on Ebay the same day Jawn said he'd take in the thread.

Basically, it was for sale and him saying he was "holding on to it" was inaccurate (to be kind). That statement turned out to be untrue.

If that statement was inaccurate by the seller, it places every statement before and after that he's made regarding this incident into question.