• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

But if he was going to keep the book, why would he list it on eBay?
Hold not keep.

No one is arguing that the seller wanted the book for anything but resale at a higher price.

I think "hold onto it for a while" indicates something longer than 12-14 hours. lol

While I can't say I know exactly how the last regime handled these types of things, all I can think back to is Manicnerd trying to nominate someone for a PIF offence. That was shot down from on high. No muss no fuss. (If I'm not mistaken it was Poverty_Row who made that decision)

Honestly, I think right now there's a culture of "nominate now, ask questions later"

Which isn't really the best way of handling things.

There's also the issue of looking at the attitude of the offending parties and not the transgression itself.

There was a lot of muss, fuss and name calling on that nomination. That guy essentially stole those comics and never showed up on the boards again.

But was he nominated to the PL/HOS?

Manicnerd withdrew his nomination after being lambasted by several members. That was the origin of the term Junk Donkey.

I know, I was here.

My point being, at one time nominations that didn't warrant being added to the PL were shrugged off.

So this discussion really hinges on a question of interpreting what "I Think I'll Keep It" meant. So let me add this example to see what you guys think. The other day I got a phone call out of the blue while I was at work. It was a gentleman who I don't know calling me claiming that he got my number from a dealer at NYCC (conceivable since many dealers have my number in the event they come across books I need) He was interested in knowing what I have in my collection and wanted to know if I wanted to have him come an appraise it (I didn't, I know what I have and what it is (approximately) worth) At this point he started getting somewhat aggressive asking if the collection was for sale, my response was "not really". Now I ask you, what did I mean by that? Trust me there is a correct answer.

You should read the original discussion. You aren't making any sense.

1) Thread was inactive for 8 days.

2) Buyer inquired about book, and was told TWICE that it was being kept.

3) Buyer got angry and put BIN in thread, even after being told the books were not available.

4) Book was listed on eBay.

5) Ocean pizzed and moaned when nominated for PL.

It was actually 6 days 5 1/2 hours dormant. 8:44 PM CST on April 24...to 3:14 AM CST on May 1.

Not that it makes much difference but if you are recapping we should probably correct that part.

Also, it should be noted that if we are placing weight on the seller's claim that it wasn't for sale because he was "holding on to it" then weight should be placed on the seller then posting it for sale on Ebay the same day Jawn said he'd take in the thread.

Basically, it was for sale and him saying he was "holding on to it" was inaccurate (to be kind). That statement turned out to be untrue.

If that statement was inaccurate by the seller, it places every statement before and after that he's made regarding this incident into question.

Chris you are a pretty reasonable person, what do you think about this nomination?

Should Ocean have been added to the PL because he refused to honor a sale in a thread that had been inactive for 6 days?

So this discussion really hinges on a question of interpreting what "I Think I'll Keep It" meant. So let me add this example to see what you guys think. The other day I got a phone call out of the blue while I was at work. It was a gentleman who I don't know calling me claiming that he got my number from a dealer at NYCC (conceivable since many dealers have my number in the event they come across books I need) He was interested in knowing what I have in my collection and wanted to know if I wanted to have him come an appraise it (I didn't, I know what I have and what it is (approximately) worth) At this point he started getting somewhat aggressive asking if the collection was for sale, my response was "not really". Now I ask you, what did I mean by that? Trust me there is a correct answer.

I think we all like to say our personal collection isn't for sale but if someone offered you 20x the amount of something similar where you know you could replace, then I can't see why you wouldn't sell it.

And with that statement, one of my many followers will come in and quote that sentence and accuse me of "not a true collector" etc

Where is the :takeit: option ? hm

;)

While I can't say I know exactly how the last regime handled these types of things, all I can think back to is Manicnerd trying to nominate someone for a PIF offence. That was shot down from on high. No muss no fuss. (If I'm not mistaken it was Poverty_Row who made that decision)

Honestly, I think right now there's a culture of "nominate now, ask questions later"

Which isn't really the best way of handling things.

There's also the issue of looking at the attitude of the offending parties and not the transgression itself.

There was a lot of muss, fuss and name calling on that nomination. That guy essentially stole those comics and never showed up on the boards again.

But was he nominated to the PL/HOS?

Manicnerd withdrew his nomination after being lambasted by several members. That was the origin of the term Junk Donkey.

I know, I was here.

My point being, at one time nominations that didn't warrant being added to the PL were shrugged off.

So, someone that steals from board members shouldn't be put on the PL? That's what I understood when I nominated BathedInFlames and caught hell for it.

Thanks again for taking the call.

3fef35e80a557bb6b34c77920b16b290.jpg

But if he was going to keep the book, why would he list it on eBay?
Hold not keep.

No one is arguing that the seller wanted the book for anything but resale at a higher price.

I think "hold onto it for a while" indicates something longer than 12-14 hours. lol

:o

I don't think his intentions are unclear, specifically when declining the $100 offer - he's not using "hold onto it" in a collector sense - he's a flipper/dealer (shrug)

23wso3o.jpg

You certainly should not have "caught hell".

I'm beginning to think part of the problem is that this thread is really becoming massive.

Lots of names being thrown around at the same time, plus name changes cause a lot of confusion.

Has anyone considered reviewing one case at a time? If a second person jumps in, can we tell them the requirements, but put them on a waiting list of some sort.

I know I've been following this thread for years and lately, I'm getting confused. Solar Cadet, Solar Plexus, Oceans, lots of kids...

Seriously...it's hard to follow.

There was a suggestion a while ago to start a thread in general for each problem.

A. It gives more people the chance to join in and see what is going on. The reason for this thread in the beginning was to let the community know about icky transactions, the more people know, the better.

B. It might keep the facts in an accessible place.

C. Perhaps we need polls for PL's as well. It seems like there are diverse opinions and a poll in CG would provide more viewpoints to be aired and hopefully a consensus.

Edited by skypinkblu

When everything filtered through POV there was order. Now someone nominates someone else, while there are already three different random nominations being debated arbitrarily. Then suddenly the person is added to the list. There is no rhyme or reason and based off of the ocean kid nomination things have turned into the hurt feelings list. Every time someone feels slighted or disrespected it isn't a reason to add someone to the PL, if that was the case there would be about three members who wouldn't be on it.

It's become a joke and if there is any chance of people actually respecting the process there needs to be some serious changes.

I don't think it's a joke, Mike, I know there are some very well meaning people working hard here...but it might need to be a little more organized since it is so big and you know that men do tend to get a tiny bit emotional at times;) :whistle: .

Before Pov, we had Divad making the decisions. It was his thread to begin with.

I'd like to let the community decide via a poll, but I'd love to hear other suggestions...just not negative ones, positive ideas are helpful.

You certainly should not have "caught hell".

I'm beginning to think part of the problem is that this thread is really becoming massive.

Lots of names being thrown around at the same time, plus name changes cause a lot of confusion.

Has anyone considered reviewing one case at a time? If a second person jumps in, can we tell them the requirements, but put them on a waiting list of some sort.

I know I've been following this thread for years and lately, I'm getting confused. Solar Cadet, Solar Plexus, Oceans, lots of kids...

Seriously...it's hard to follow.

There was a suggestion a while ago to start a thread in general for each problem.

A. It gives more people the chance to join in and see what is going on. The reason for this thread in the beginning was to let the community know about icky transactions, the more people know, the better.

B. It might keep the facts in an accessible place.

C. Perhaps we need polls for PL's as well. It seems like there are diverse opinions and a poll in CG would provide more viewpoints to be aired and hopefully a consensus.

I like the idea, but think the threads could be organized off the sales forum. CG is a hot mess and that's on a good day.

Yeah, I agree. No way could it go in CG.
+1

Furthermore it would be nice to hear from more of the buyers/sellers on the boards. The decisions here have a huge impact, and sometimes it's a little odd that people who don't buy/sell on the boards are making the decisions for us.

Yeah, I would like to hear some more sellers and buyers opinions as well. I buy a lot on the boards every month but have only ever sold one item. I am a comic hoarder :)

Edit... After I sold my item though, I took the five seconds to close out the thread as sold though. :grin:

Edited by CAHokie

I don't think it's a joke, Mike, I know there are some very well meaning people working hard here...but it might need to be a little more organized since it is so big and you know that men do tend to get a tiny bit emotional at times;) :whistle: .

I'd like to let the community decide via a poll, but I'd love to hear other suggestions...just not negative ones, positive ideas are helpful.

You're too sweet Sharon, I'll be the obnoxious side of our New York Yin and Yang.

You're too sweet Sharon, I'll be the obnoxious side of our New York Yin and Yang.

:gossip: You do it very well! :baiting::grin:

Actually I am still around and taking a more active part again. I know the Ocean situation was a bit weird so please correct me if I am wrong.

After saying he thought he'd keep the book the sales thread remained up for several days with a $110 price on the book. Is that correct?

Actually I am still around and taking a more active part again. I know the Ocean situation was a bit weird so please correct me if I am wrong.

After saying he thought he'd keep the book the sales thread remained up for several days with a $110 price on the book. Is that correct?

(worship)

Here's the timeline:

04/09/14 - oceanavekid starts a sales thread.

04/20/14 - Only one book left

04/20/14 - Adds books to the thread.

04/22/14 - "If they don't sell in the next few days i'll close this down and list on the bay."

04/24/14 - Adds NEW books to the thread. "Should have the books in hand next week."

--STAGNANT PERIOD--

04/30/14 6:49PM - Open thread: jawn inquires about one book.

oceanavekid: "Probably going to hold onto it until I'm able to take pictures." --> Seems he doesn't have the book in hand yet from CGC. And the thread is STILL open. No indication that he is not going to sell the books. He already indicated he will sell the books pending scans as he doesn't have the books back from CGC.

jawn: attempts to negotiate the price.

oceanavekid: Price isn't negotiable. It might be priced low. Think I'm going to hold onto it. --> Side question: Are the OTHER books still for sale? (shrug)

05/01/14 2:31AM: oceanavekid still awake posting. Thread still open.

05/01/14 4:14AM: jawn takes the book at oceanavekid's asking price.