• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So if I make a thread and post in it:

"I think I might keep it" in the first post.

I get a lot of interest in the book because it is priced below market, I have no obligation to sell it and can list it on ebay just a few hours later for 2x what I was asking?

What?

That was never posted at the start, but a week later. Get with the program. :facepalm:

But yes, if a week later you replied to an offer in teh thread or via PM that "I think I will keep it" I would fully support your position that there was no transaction.

When this first started it was a mess show. His "think" was very ambiguous and kept going back and forth with the would be buyer. If he had said think I am going to hold onto it and never lists it on ebay for a higher price, then there is significant cause for him. If he says sorry no longer available at that price then again significant cause for him. But that isn't how it played out. Do you really think a reputable seller will have an issue like this come up that they aren't willing to work with the buyer?

Everyone agrees he is not a good seller.

My Wife and I are currently thinking about moving.

But that's an internal thought, and I don't anyone who SPEAKS like that.

If someone says to me "I think I will be moving" that means they are, or will soon be, looking for a new place, not idling deciding whether they might move someday in the far-flung future.

Otherwise, they wouldn't voice that statement at all.

Oh where to?

Sure thats a good idea market is rather hot right now?

Hey good plan interest rates are low.

But its raining outside.

No thinking. Just doing. I posted and grabbed the boxes to pack.

But that's an internal thought, and I don't anyone who SPEAKS like that.

If someone says to me "I think I will be moving" that means they are, or will soon be, looking for a new place, not idling deciding whether they might move someday in the far-flung future.

Otherwise, they wouldn't voice that statement at all.

You're stretching I think.

There will be a few conversations next week at Heroes using this wording. Should I record them for. I think I should.

This discussion is no longer about what's right but about who's right.

There never has been a discussion.

Ocean got railroaded into the PL and no number of complaints will change that. So watch it, you could be next.

Is there a Cliff Notes version available? :P

Guy buys book, seller claims isn't restored.

Submits to cgc, comes back restored. Seller offers refund in time payments. (Like the book was paid for). Payments from seller stopped.

If I understand the narrative correctly, the seller made no payments other than an m.o. with the wrong name, which had to be returned.

Exactly right. No successful payments.

I'm not far from Guelph.

Is there anything I can do to help this along?

This is probably the most even-handed of all replies, and I urge people to read it:

A couple of observations:

1. I'm a one-note Charlie on this, but the key problem is that there is no way short of a PL nomination to flag misbehavior by a buyer or seller. So someone who feels ill-used has no way to vent short of a PL nomination, which in some cases -- and I think this case is one -- is too stiff a penalty.

2. I would say when any nomination gets to the point of parsing the meaning of statements and the exact timelines involved, that nomination should be thrown out. We can't expect perfect behavior from either buyers or sellers. Imo, the PL should be reserved for clear cut cases of misbehavior.

Ocean got railroaded into the PL and no number of complaints will change that. So watch it, you could be next.

You said it therefore it's true.

This is probably the most even-handed of all replies, and I urge people to read it:

A couple of observations:

1. I'm a one-note Charlie on this, but the key problem is that there is no way short of a PL nomination to flag misbehavior by a buyer or seller. So someone who feels ill-used has no way to vent short of a PL nomination, which in some cases -- and I think this case is one -- is too stiff a penalty.

2. I would say when any nomination gets to the point of parsing the meaning of statements and the exact timelines involved, that nomination should be thrown out. We can't expect perfect behavior from either buyers or sellers. Imo, the PL should be reserved for clear cut cases of misbehavior.

Can we think about it?

When someone (you) not evenly remotely involved in the perceived transaction, initiated the PL disbarment process, it certainly makes you think about motive. hm

Joke around all you want, but I thought it was the buyer/seller who needed to initiate the process, not 3rd parties with a potential agenda.

And it's also quite amusing that the 3rd party (Branget) is also the most vocal in confronting accusations that Ocean may have been railroaded.

When someone (you) not evenly remotely involved in the perceived transaction, initiated the PL disbarment process, it certainly makes you think about motive. hm

Go back and read. ;)

If your real estate agent is a graduate of the "Oceanavenue Real Estate Negotiating Skills Course" - don't believe him if he assures you that sloppy negotiations will spur the buyers to offer you more than the price you are asking - change agents.

Sellers don't generally negotiate buyers up to a higher unnamed price - contrary to your current beliefs.

2c