• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Valiant think of it this way, even Roy is against him at this point. When the hippy thinks there is no redemption left, well that kind of speaks for itself.

Roy isn't the end all, be all. While his opinion may be respected, its just that..an opinion.

At the end of the day, you have those who will forgive and those who won't.

Choose your side....if our society was based on non-forgiveness, we'd be in a much worse position today.

Brock I'm all for forgiveness and rehabilitation. But those things have to be earned. A person can't just say they are sorry and expect forgiveness to be handed to them. They have to pro actively take steps to make restitution, to show that they understand what they did was wrong and why they won't do it again in the future. Symbiotic has not done anything to show he changed. Hell he is advertising sales in the thread he is nominated for HoS for goodness sake. Is never an exaggeration? Yes. Maybe one day he will get his $#!@ together but as of right now he's shown zero admission that he understands what he did wrong and why the pitch forks are out. Like I said if he gets his stuff together he should be welcomed back but right now it doesn't look like he's getting it together.

And the second and third time! And the fourth... And fifth...

This guy is really a piece of work, and that's an understatement. When someone makes an honest mistake, its easy to correct and get on the right track around here. People will go out of their way to help.

But,... there's a huge difference between an honest mistake, and repeated ( and repeated again ), deliberate attempts to deceive, manipulate, and flat out scam people. That's it plain and simple.

This guy better hope he stays behind a keyboard with this kind of B.S. In real life, he'd have a big problem with people doing this on a personal level.

Brock I'm all for forgiveness and rehabilitation. But those things have to be earned. A person can't just say they are sorry and expect forgiveness to be handed to them. They have to pro actively take steps to make restitution, to show that they understand what they did was wrong and why they won't do it again in the future. Symbiotic has not done anything to show he changed. Hell he is advertising sales in the thread he is nominated for HoS for goodness sake. Is never an exaggeration? Yes. Maybe one day he will get his $#!@ together but as of right now he's shown zero admission that he understands what he did wrong and why the pitch forks are out. Like I said if he gets his stuff together he should be welcomed back but right now it doesn't look like he's getting it together.

Maybe I'm miscommunicating b/c I'm not disputing anything you say. However, when individuals make blanket statements like "I'll never do this or this," or "He's never welcome back b/c of this and this," that shows ignorance in my opinion.

Our criminal justice system is based on forgiveness and rehabilitation, ONCE you have served your time. So in that regard, once Symbi's fate is determined, I don't believe it should be a permanent fate but rather a sentence that has a predetermined amount of time to give an individual time to rehab.

If they make inroads, then they can be up for "parole" so to speak. As an attorney, you should be familiar with all of this.....

Maybe I'm miscommunicating b/c I'm not disputing anything you say. However, when individuals make blanket statements like "I'll never do this or this," or "He's never welcome back b/c of this and this," that shows ignorance in my opinion.

Our criminal justice system is based on forgiveness and rehabilitation, ONCE you have served your time. So in that regard, once Symbi's fate is determined, I don't believe it should be a permanent fate but rather a sentence that has a predetermined amount of time to give an individual time to rehab.

If they make inroads, then they can be up for "parole" so to speak. As an attorney, you should be familiar with all of this.....

What predetermined amount of time would you give him to rehabilitate?

Any punishment we can dole out (HoS, pl, group pile on/shunning) is non perminant. He can work out a way to make things right however I will point out (and I can dig it out if you'd like. He made the comment back in December when I was on his for shilling that he just wanted to be a part of the community. I dug through his posts and found that if I was generous about 55-60% of his posts were community based and the rest were sales threads. Even those community posts were speculation posts to boost the value of books he was or would later sell. So for me at least I don't see why he should be part of a community like this. But that's just my opinion of course. Ultimately the only person who decides his fate is Arch and if he says its perminant then it is. And Brock I hate to burst your bubble but our justice system hasn't been about rehabilitation for about 50 years. Its all about retribution and warehousing criminals for profit (please don't get me started on this subject I don't need the strike lol but if you want to discuss it in private send me a pm. )

I completely understand what you're saying, and I think it would be applicable if we were talking about a board member that was interested in more than just selling books. Outside of a couple sparse comments in the Modern Section, I never got the impression that Sym actually read comics or enjoyed talking about them on these forums. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just my opinion-- I think he was here to sell...and he botched that. The HoS isn't stopping him from being an active participant on these forums, right? (shrug)

The back-and-forth about whether or not he should eventually be "paroled" or forgiven seems silly until he's shown he actually wants to be a part of these boards. Just my 2c

What predetermined amount of time would you give him to rehabilitate?

That's a very tough question to answer.

And Jason, I think you'll find that a majority of people commenting would say the HOS is permanent, not perminent ;)

I disagree with the whole permanency of the issue...

The back-and-forth about whether or not he should eventually be "paroled" or forgiven seems silly until he's shown he actually wants to be a part of these boards. Just my 2c

Sometimes people need to break down before they can break out.

And other times, they need a swift kick in the to get them on the right path.

I'm not saying that he'll ever get his act together....but even the worst criminals (and I'm talking real life) can change....no one is beyond saving.

Under the advisement of Buzzetta I've gone through and deleted every shill which I've ever placed. If I've missed any let me know. I've also removed all reserves, and will offer discounts to any board members wishing to make purchases.

Feel free to ignore the auctions as well, I'm not looking for hand outs. Just working on making things right as a part of my program.

I'm all for forgiveness, but right now you have not done anything to improve your status here. It's apparently a bad place for you, similar to an alcoholic trying to figure out how he can hang out in a bar.

If you are really in therapy and really trying to improve, why not take a year off? Come back next 4th of July, state how you have changed and we can revisit.

IF you truly are in therapy, I'm sure your therapist has told you that a comic book forum is not an essential part of your life at this time, I'm sure you have things to make up to offline family and friends.

Right now you are in the HOS, and if you truly want to follow the community's rules, you should not be selling, linking or buying.

There really is no reason for you to do anything here, you should work on your issues.

Don't lurk, don't post and just work on your problems.

You might not even remember this place in a year and will have hopefully moved on with your life, happily.

Edited by skypinkblu

Symbiotics pattern of almost constant poor decision making followed by abject apology and efforts to make amends makes it hard to believe he will come around.

He doesnt seem to be able to fix what ever the "root cause" of his problem is, he's efforted in repairing some of the symptoms, but the root cause remains, and will cause his next mistake.

He also doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He was called out for shilling in the past, it was made obvious what the boardies thought of such acts, he claimed he would change his ways, but as we saw in his latest round of ebay auctions, he had no problem returning to his shilling ways, and repeating the process of "making things right" once he was caught/exposed.

Maybe he's a kid (how young can you be on these boards? 18?) and maturity in the coming years will help him learn how to behave, and he'll develop the "should I do thi?s" filter that most people have in between having and idea, and acting on an idea.

Do I think he's a lost cause? No, but I also dont think the Marketplace is where he should be figuring things out, and leaving us to suffer his growing pains.

Under the advisement of Buzzetta I've gone through and deleted every shill which I've ever placed. If I've missed any let me know. I've also removed all reserves, and will offer discounts to any board members wishing to make purchases.

Feel free to ignore the auctions as well, I'm not looking for hand outs. Just working on making things right as a part of my program.

I'm all for forgiveness, but right now you have not done anything to improve your status here. It's apparently a bad place for you, similar to an alcoholic trying to figure out how he can hang out in a bar.

this is exactly what this looks like, someone with an addiction/problem that cannot control themselves

Symbiotics pattern of almost constant poor decision making followed by abject apology and efforts to make amends makes it hard to believe he will come around.

He doesnt seem to be able to fix what ever the "root cause" of his problem is, he's efforted in repairing some of the symptoms, but the root cause remains, and will cause his next mistake.

He also doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He was called out for shilling in the past, it was made obvious what the boardies thought of such acts, he claimed he would change his ways, but as we saw in his latest round of ebay auctions, he had no problem returning to his shilling ways, and repeating the process of "making things right" once he was caught/exposed.

Maybe he's a kid (how young can you be on these boards? 18?) and maturity in the coming years will help him learn how to behave, and he'll develop the "should I do thi?s" filter that most people have in between having and idea, and acting on an idea.

Do I think he's a lost cause? No, but I also dont think the Marketplace is where he should be figuring things out, and leaving us to suffer his growing pains.

This sounds like how relationships are. Guy screws up then apologizes saying they're never going to do that again and then tries to do better but winds up repeating what they did over and over again. No matter how many times he apologizes and says he is going to change his ways he isn't going to do a thing unless he really wants to change. Symbi tells everyone he wants to change but leads people on and now that he is in in the HOS he is resorting to saying he is in therapy in hopes of getting back into the community. Sorry to say but that's pretty sad that the board, and being accepted by people who personally don't know you, means so much to your life that you have to go to therapy.

facepalm: unreal. You don't get it, there's nothing to "get right"...just get gone. You can't undo the rep you've built yourself. Sorry, but I don't think you'll find a lot of interest in your road to recovery, or "program".

This does not make sense. I understand if people want Symbiotic out of the boards for the time being, but to say one "can’t undo" whatever bad thing has done in the past is utterly wrong, and somewhat diabolic.

I'm all for forgiveness and second chances, but this guy has had more than his share of chances. He's written at least 4 or 5 apology posts and saying he'd do right, and then he goes right back to it.

This also isn't like he once or twice screwed up paying a boardie. The guy has like 10 auctions going all with A LOT of shilling.

I'm sorry Vaillant- I like your think best of everyone and give them a chance attitude, but this guy is far passed chances to screw over boardies.

That old saying comes to mind. "Fool me once,shame on you. Fool me twice,shame on me."

I completely understand the vote to put me on the HOS, I do not argue in fact I plead guilty to my crimes.

My only question being, am I here forth banned from partaking in discussions on the board,,or simply banned from the commerce side of things. Further more am I allowed to purchase from other members, or not.

I wouldn't be opposed to an outright ban either if there is such a thing.

And no I'm not looking for sympathy here. I need to figure out some mess in my life.

facepalm: unreal. You don't get it, there's nothing to "get right"...just get gone. You can't undo the rep you've built yourself. Sorry, but I don't think you'll find a lot of interest in your road to recovery, or "program".

This does not make sense. I understand if people want Symbiotic out of the boards for the time being, but to say one "can’t undo" whatever bad thing has done in the past is utterly wrong, and somewhat diabolic.

I'm all for forgiveness and second chances, but this guy has had more than his share of chances. He's written at least 4 or 5 apology posts and saying he'd do right, and then he goes right back to it.

This also isn't like he once or twice screwed up paying a boardie. The guy has like 10 auctions going all with A LOT of shilling.

I'm sorry Vaillant- I like your think best of everyone and give them a chance attitude, but this guy is far passed chances to screw over boardies.

That old saying comes to mind. "Fool me once,shame on you. Fool me twice,shame on me."

Thanks to you Dave, I got paid by Symbiotic on that New Mutants 98.

:cloud9: