• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

This looks like a Chuck "the bully" Gower post

If they come with a T-Shirt, I'll grab one in XL thanks. (thumbs u

I see one thing standing out in this whole situation between Tiger and Larry:

Lack of Communication

All this could have been avoided if Larry had responded to Tiger's payment and 9.8 potential comment by simply replying with something like this:

"Just to clarify, I can't guarantee 9.8s on these books but I'll send the best copies I can find."

Tiger replies:

"OK. Good enough for me."

End of story.

I agree the cancellation/refund should have happened much sooner. But that is not the only thing standing out.

The other thing standing out is asking for "9.8 potential" after the deal has been set. That is a conversation to take place before committing to the purchase.

In my opinion both sides mucked this one up.

Am I reading it right the "buyer" is getting a refund and also the books for free?

I'd pay for the books but this "any class" drivel is out of line.

So you say.

At least someone correctly used the word "drivel" around here for a change.

^^

Tiger showed class by reaching out to Larry first (not a given on these boards) and only went public when that didn't work.

Um. That's not classy, that's just common courtesy.

The fact is Tiger, a GREAT seller, would STILL have no books or money had he not spoken up.

Or, ya know, he could have just filed a Paypal dispute. Either/or.

Larry, to his credit, is compensating him for that. To accept does not display a lack of class in the least.

And if he has class, he will offer to pay for those books after he receives them. If he doesn't have class, he'll just keep them for free.

Pretty simple.

I always thought RMA was doing this first.

Pocupine"woolybully"48 :foryou:

So you say.

^^

Tiger showed class by reaching out to Larry first (not a given on these boards) and only went public when that didn't work.

The fact is Tiger, a GREAT seller, would STILL have no books or money had he not spoken up.

Larry, to his credit, is compensating him for that. To accept does not display a lack of class in the least.

And if he has class, he will offer to pay for those books after he receives them. If he doesn't have class, he'll just keep them for free.

Pretty simple.

Where do you think he learned it....?

:whistle:

So you say.

^^

Pretty simple.

Jimmers knows his board history. I was bullying people long before Chuck showed up.

:D

I see one thing standing out in this whole situation between Tiger and Larry:

Lack of Communication

All this could have been avoided if Larry had responded to Tiger's payment and 9.8 potential comment by simply replying with something like this:

"Just to clarify, I can't guarantee 9.8s on these books but I'll send the best copies I can find."

Tiger replies:

"OK. Good enough for me."

End of story.

I agree the cancellation/refund should have happened much sooner. But that is not the only thing standing out.

The other thing standing out is asking for "9.8 potential" after the deal has been set. That is a conversation to take place before committing to the purchase.

In my opinion both sides mucked this one up.

Am I reading it right the "buyer" is getting a refund and also the books for free?

Yes.

It seems that Larry is going above and beyond to make things right with me, so there isn't much left for me to say about the situation. However, I do want to say one more thing about my "9.8 potential" comment.

I'm not someone who sends books to CGC for grading, so I never ask sellers to provide me with comics that will grade out at 9.8 So why did I do it in this case? Well, after thinking about it, I remembered that Larry was making posts like this on his Google+ page in reference to his Spider-Gwen variants:

"I'll screen gorgeous copies for you!"

"I'll screen my copies for the best for you guys."

It sounded like he was going to be screening the books anyway, so asking him to send me the best books possible didn't seem out of line. I'll definitely be careful about how I word things when dealing with sellers in the future.

It seems that Larry is going above and beyond to make things right with me, so there isn't much left for me to say about the situation.

I think it would make everyone feel warm and fuzzy if you also said that you intend to pay Larry the originally agreed upon price (especially since the books have apparently gone up in value since the original deal). 2c

But, up to you, obviously...

It seems that Larry is going above and beyond to make things right with me, so there isn't much left for me to say about the situation. However, I do want to say one more thing about my "9.8 potential" comment.

I'm not someone who sends books to CGC for grading, so I never ask sellers to provide me with comics that will grade out at 9.8 So why did I do it in this case? Well, after thinking about it, I remembered that Larry was making posts like this on his Google+ page in reference to his Spider-Gwen variants:

It sounded like he was going to be screening the books anyway, so asking him to send me the best books possible didn't seem out of line. I'll definitely be careful about how I word things when dealing with sellers in the future.

(thumbs u ...especially on eBay, where buyers are notorious for being particularly anal and demanding. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Tiger, I don't think you're getting it. The issue is not how you word things. Asking for "9.8 potential books". would be perfectly acceptable during the negotiation phase of the transaction and give the seller the opportunity to address it.

The issue is WHEN you asked...which was after the sale is made and as a comment when you sent payment. It would freak me out a little if that happened to me as a seller.

So you say.

^^

Pretty simple.

Jimmers knows his board history. I was bullying people long before Chuck showed up.

:D

I never called you a bully!! :o

I'm at fault.

I will send your order NO charge in the am.

They will be screened 9.8 candidates.

That would be one heck of a gesture. I'll be sure to let everyone on the board know about it if you follow through with it.

I'll send them in the morning..

ONLY because I dragged my refunding you.

You're practicing a predatory ordering tactic on sellers.

You're DEAD WRONG in how you are behaving.

I hope you grasp this..

It sickens me to reward you.

But, going forward I have a policy in place.

This sounds insane. Predatory ordering tactic? You could have simply replied and said you are not guaranteeing grades and do you still want your order. Pretty simple.

This got buried in successive posts. Clear communication.

The word "potential" was used for a reason. doh!

At not point did I state that I expected to get books guaranteed to grade at 9.8. I was just looking for ones without visible flaws. That isn't unreasonable. And do you think I want to be returning things to the US from Canada? Of course not. That's why it doesn't hurt to ask a seller to make sure he's sending you high-grade comics when he's got a stack of 3,000 or so to pick from.

It does not hurt to ask, before accepting the seller's offer.

However, this is happening more and more often, after the purchase. Point in case, I doubt he guarranteed that in the thousands of books he would be selling, there would be "no visible flaws".

It is no different than buyers who ask for special packaging, after they pay.

I don't get a lot of those, since I am mostly selling supplies, but I do get a few and can only imagine how many requests, collectible sellers get.

It is unreasonable to add terms to a purchase, after the fact. Even if you, as a buyer feel that it is a "request" and non-binding. By stating your expecation, you are reinforcing the idea in your own mind, that it will be heeded. And, many other buyers with the same statement, won't look at it as a "request" at all.

... I remembered that Larry was making posts like this on his Google+ page in reference to his Spider-Gwen variants:

I am sure you meant nothing by it, when you mentioned it. But from many seller's perspective the statement is a red flag. Clearly Larry is one of those sellers. Now take the assumed increase in risk and multiply that by the increase in cost of shipping to you internationally and you can understand his reaction. (just not the delayed implementation)