• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Poor communication and making up rules on the fly?...from Larry? Shocking.

I think someone should mention that the 3 variants you bought for $50 total are selling for $75-100 total. I guess I just did.

Also, they don't seem to be for sale on Larry's site any more. Does he still have copies for sale for $16-17 each?

Pretty convenient, almost a month later, to cancel a sale when the book is going for about twice as much now. I wonder if he's got any more in stock at the original price.

Listen man,

I list my books on my google page as NM.

If a customer inquires before purchase, I let them know that the copies are real nice nm+. I have a pre screener on staff that removes copies from factory sealed cases & casually inspects front spine & corners & back.

As soon as a customer makes a purchase & enters a numerical grade 9.8 into the mix, warning sirens go off.

Add to the mix that this guy is from Canada ( a $20 reship )

I canceled his order.

I sold 1,100 orders of this particular book, with only a 4% error rate, so I'm sure some fans were happy.

Semantics was definitely a factor here, but given that Larry is a seller who has more than one occasion proclaimed himself to be someone who looks after readers and collectors, I didn't think my request would be misunderstood or even an issue.

And yes, if Larry had simply got in touch with me to say that he can't guarantee that I'll get 9.8 copies, there wouldn't have been a problem.

You paid FIRST.

THEN threw 9.8 into the mix.

THAT'S the issue.

In any case, buyer got a refund. I don't like how long he waited, but that is usually what is required for someone to get off the probation list, is it not? I'm with the 'handled poorly but no probation list worthy' camp.

I think someone should mention that the 3 variants you bought for $50 total are selling for $75-100 total. I guess I just did.

Also, they don't seem to be for sale on Larry's site any more. Does he still have copies for sale for $16-17 each?

Pretty convenient, almost a month later, to cancel a sale when the book is going for about twice as much now. I wonder if he's got any more in stock at the original price.

Listen man,

If a customer inquires before purchase, I let them know that the copies are real nice nm+. I have a pre screener on staff that removes copies from factory sealed cases & casually inspects front spine & corners & back.

As soon as a customer makes a purchase & enters a numerical grade 9.8 into the mix, warning sirens go off.

I canceled his order.

I sold 1,100 orders of this particular book, with only a 4% error rate, so I'm sure some fans were happy.

Great customer service here! I guess it took a month for those "warning sirens" to get loud enough. We're all very impressed and eager to do business with you. (thumbs u

The buyer was not made whole. He lost out on "the benefit of the bargain." It's pretty simple; the buyer is owed either the three books he ordered or the difference in price between the agreed upon price and the current price to acquire those books.

Once the 9.8 was added to the equation by the buyer?!?

no.

Hey I sent Larry $155 for a Silk 1 and Spider-Gwen 1 set on 2/18...nothing. I emailed him and told him about it, of course he told me it was all my fault then he said his printer isn't working so he'll write it out and send them right away. I live in CT and he's shipping from MA, so unless he's mailing them slow boat, I should have gotten them either the next day or day after, I told him to email me a tracking number, that email when ignored. How this guy stays in business when he blames everyone else for his mistakes is beyond me. Haven't had a chance to go to my PO Box today but I'll check it tomorrow to see if he's trying to scam me.

PLEASE post that conversation Kevin.

you have my permission.

The buyer was not made whole. He lost out on "the benefit of the bargain." It's pretty simple; the buyer is owed either the three books he ordered or the difference in price between the agreed upon price and the current price to acquire those books.

no.

Why take so long to refund?

Listen man,

I canceled his order.

Great customer service here! I guess it took a month for those "warning sirens" to get loud enough. We're all very impressed and eager to do business with you. (thumbs u

Ok.

I'll buy that 2.5 Detective from you & THEN request you send me a 3.5.

no.

I would agree if you had refunded his money at that time. But you didn't; you held on to his money thereby telling him you would fulfill the order and preventing him from seeking the books out from someone else who would provide the requested 9.8s.

To be honest. The way you jumped in to this thread insulting the customer that you wronged I am amazed that you have any customers left. I guess they all haven't had the LarrysComics treatment yet.

no.

Why take so long to refund?

THAT'S where I Effed up.

It's the only part of this transaction that I regret.

This was my shops biggest online sale.

I felt like I was the target of scammers.

Example:

I was first to market with a book I produced.

I listed them as 9.4 or better.

Shortly after going live somebody was selling 9.8 slabs complete with picture in slab. They were from NY. I sold 50 to a guy in NY.

He started messaging telling me books had better be flawless 9.8's or negatives would be left.

Several customers after purchase were requesting / dermanding 9'8's.

How should I handle this?

I cancelled thirty two orders.

Should have done it instantly, & will in the future.

If you add terms to the transaction after the fact.

It's wrong.

Edited by LarrysComics

no.

I would agree if you had refunded his money at that time. But you didn't; you held on to his money thereby telling him you would fulfill the order and preventing him from seeking the books out from someone else who would provide the requested 9.8s.

To be honest. The way you jumped in to this thread insulting the customer that you wronged I am amazed that you have any customers left. I guess they all haven't had the LarrysComics treatment yet.

You're demented if you think purchasing a comic listed as NM ENTITLES THE CUSTOMER TO A 9.8 & that the seller need to fill that request.

Hillarious.

Baiting & Hillarious...

"I'd really appreciate it if you could pick out copies with 9.8 potential for me."

That isn't adding terms. That's telling you that the customer would really appreciate it if you could take an extra minute to ensure that you're providing him with high-grade books.

"I'd really appreciate it if you could pick out copies with 9.8 potential for me."

That isn't adding terms. That's telling you that the customer would really appreciate it if you could take an extra minute to ensure that you're providing him with high-grade books.

NM comics as listed ARE high grade books.

Adding the 9.8 designation after the purchase is simply unfair.

I screen moderns / submit all the time & receiving a 9.8 is not always a guarantee.

Let's assume that I serviced you on:

I screen your copies & send them to you in Canada.

you're unhappy with one because on the back there's a light production mark.

mess, now one has a light spine tick that in your opinion just might break color.

You request two replacements.

I send them. $19.99 to Canada

Then you're really not happy with how the Marvel paper stock looks on the replacement copy....

Adding 9.8 to the deal was a breaker.

I should have refunded you sooner.

I'm at fault.

I will send your order NO charge in the am.

They will be screened 9.8 candidates.

I will NEVER accept an order that adds 9.8 to the mix after payment in the future.

Edited by LarrysComics

The word "potential" was used for a reason. doh!

At not point did I state that I expected to get books guaranteed to grade at 9.8. I was just looking for ones without visible flaws. That isn't unreasonable. And do you think I want to be returning things to the US from Canada? Of course not. That's why it doesn't hurt to ask a seller to make sure he's sending you high-grade comics when he's got a stack of 3,000 or so to pick from.

NM comics as listed ARE high grade books.

Adding the 9.8 designation after the purchase is simply unfair.

I screen moderns / submit all the time & receiving a 9.8 is not always a guarantee.

Let's assume that I serviced you on:

I screen your copies & send them to you in Canada.

you're unhappy with one because on the back there's a light production mark.

mess, now one has a light spine tick that in your opinion just might break color.

You request two replacements.

I send them. $19.99 to Canada

Then you're really not happy with how the Marvel paper stock looks on the replacement copy....

Adding 9.8 to the deal was a breaker.

I should have refunded you sooner.

I'm at fault.

I will send your order NO charge in the am.

They will be screened 9.8 candidates.

I will NEVER accept an order that adds 9.8 to the mix after payment in the future.

That sounds like a fair settlement.

You are wrong about this. "9.8 potential" in this day and age has a very specific meaning, and it doesn't mean "please do your best."