• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Having said that, if someone can explain how to post all of the PMs other that a lot of cut and paste, I'll do that when I return in a couple of hours.

Open the PMs. Use the Quote to quote the pm. Copy the whole quote and paste here.

Many people have done this and it is, in my opinion, the best defense.

The buyer and seller set a price on the book but the deal faltered on a shipping cost.

Set all the terms before declaring it a deal. :sumo:

This would mean a set price on the shipping.

Though there is hyperbole in the following analogy, one wouldn't declare a done deal on the book costing "between $100 and $120 and I'll get back to you on a final price." You'd want a set price. (shrug)

Except an exact cost was set. They agreed on the cost of the books, and that shipping would be whatever the market rate was to the destination minus $20.

Then throw him on the list. I don't care either way. (shrug)

It just seemed like a misunderstanding and the parties hadn't actually agreed on the cost.

All I know for sure right now is that as soon as the seller gave the EXACT shipping cost the buyer said "pass." What other reason would there be other than he didn't think shipping would be that much based on his past dealings?

And did the seller say shipping WILL be or that shipping COULD be?

I'm off to dinner. Clam chowder, fried clams and maybe ice cream later. :cloud9:

If one or both or neither are on the Probation List when I get back :whatev:

It makes NO difference whether I said WILL be or COULD be; an :takeit: after that is binding not conditionary. If you can't see that then posting PMs makes no difference. All it does is make me question what you think is binding and wonder whether I should do business with you in the future.

Having said that, if someone can explain how to post all of the PMs other that a lot of cut and paste, I'll do that when I return in a couple of hours.

I'm just trying to make the process fair and have proof. I'm human and I can be wrong with my opinions. Don't take it personally that I was just interpreting what YOU posted and no one else. Just because I'm asking that you post PMs, suddenly you don't want to do business with me? ???

Then don't. (shrug)

Then throw him on the list. I don't care either way. (shrug)

It just seemed like a misunderstanding and the parties hadn't actually agreed on the cost.

All I know for sure right now is that as soon as the seller gave the EXACT shipping cost the buyer said "pass." What other reason would there be other than he didn't think shipping would be that much based on his past dealings?

And did the seller say shipping WILL be or that shipping COULD be?

I'm off to dinner. Clam chowder, fried clams and maybe ice cream later. :cloud9:

If one or both or neither are on the Probation List when I get back :whatev:

It makes NO difference whether I said WILL be or COULD be; an :takeit: after that is binding not conditionary. If you can't see that then posting PMs makes no difference. All it does is make me question what you think is binding and wonder whether I should do business with you in the future.

Just because I'm asking that you post PMs, suddenly you don't want to do business with me? ???

You misread it. Has nothing to do with you asking for PMs. Has to do with you not being able to see any diff. whether I said WILL be or COULD be; an :takeit: after that is binding not conditionary.

I haven't post PMs yet because I wasn't sure how and because someone suggested at the very 1st to 'lay out my case and post PMs later".

Here they are:

I believe I have a couple of copies. Can get you scans tomorrow if you are still interested.

Boyd

Yes please, that would be great.

I forgot to mention shipping will be to the UK if thats okay?

Thanks Boyd

Sam

Hi Sam

I don't mind shipping to the UK as long as you take care of the cost, whichever way you want it sent.

I have 2 copies, one really low grade complete copy, raw, centerfold was loose at one time and taped back in. I want $125 for it.

The other is a CGC 5.0 OW-W Pages. I want $350 for it. I know the GPA from last April was $232 but the last 5.5 last march was $370 so I don't really think the data is helpful.

LMK

Boyd

SSS6_zpscxuwop1f.jpg

SSS6bc_zpshuh8fyiv.jpg

Scan0020_zps0sxqal1i.jpg

Scan0021_zps9ighhhpo.jpg

Thanks Boyd, what would you best price be on the both of them?

Thanks

Sam

Also would you happen to have a Crime Suspenstories #20 for sale by any chance?

Thanks

Sam

If you want both I'll do $450 and pay up to $20 on the postage. Not sure what shipping would be to the UK as I only ship there every 3 months or so.

Unfortunately no CSS 20 right now.

LMK

Boyd

Hi Boyd,

Would you be able to do $450 shipped?

Thanks

Sam

Hey Sam

I can't do that to the UK. It may be $50-$60 for a slab. I won't cut corners and send it uninsured etc.

Hope you understand.

Boyd

Okay Boyd, I'll take em, I'll pay on Monday if that's okay?

Thanks

Sam

That's fine Sam. Let me package them up and get a postage price to you Monday then you can pay.

Send me an address.

Thanks

Boyd

Great thanks Boyd.

My address is

Thanks

Sam

Sam

I've packaged the books and used the online calculator to estimate the shipping. It comes to $63 for Priority Express International with insurance for $400. If it is different when I get to the post office I'll refund the difference.

With me paying $20 of the postage the total will be $493

Let me know if that is what you want to do.

Paypal is

Boyd

Hi Boyd,

I'm not sure how it comes to $63? I Bought 3 raw and 1 slab off of another boardie and it came to $25?

Thanks

Box is 19x14x4

Weight is 2 lbs 11 oz

Go to the USPS.com

Plug in the numbers for priority express international from Texas

Insured for $400

That's what I got unless I did it wrong, I'll check again when I get home this afternoon.

If you see something different let me know.

Checked the prices again. Here is what I got:

Priority Express International Insured for $400 3-5 market days: $63

Priority Mail International w/certificate of mailing, insured only to $70 6-10 days: approx. $53

1st Class package w/certificate of mailing, will not insure, must be less than $400, cannot give an estimate of delivery time as it depends on location: $31

Although I've never had a package go missing or get damaged I won't assume any responsibility on the 2nd and 3rd option.

Up to you. LMK

Boyd

Ill pass, thanks though Boyd!

You said you would take them. You said you would take them even when I said postage would be $50-$60.

You can go to usps.com and check for yourself; I'm not making up postage prices.

Is this the way you normally do business?

So no response? (shrug)

Do you always back out of deals after you have committed?

I wouldn't recommend starting any more WTB threads if you are going to go back on your word. These kind of things get you put on the probation list.

Xela has removed themself from this topic.

And when I sent the obligatory PM:

FYI

I have posted in the Probation Discussion thread about you agreeing to buy my books and then backing out of the deal.

lol

You've hurt my feelings :\

Xela has removed themself from this topic.
Edited by bcc

Fair enough.

Looks like there was never any wavering on the part of the Xela and he clearly agreed to the terms and said he'd take them.

Very stupid on his part to not reply that he had just spent $25 on shipping and inquire about that if he had questions. Looks like you did your part.

So he is added to the Probation List...then what? To get off does he just go through with the deal with you?

Fair enough.

Looks like there was never any wavering on the part of the Xela and he clearly agreed to the terms and said he'd take them.

Very stupid on his part to not reply that he had just spent $25 on shipping and inquire about that if he had questions. Looks like you did your part.

So he is added to the Probation List...then what? To get off does he just go through with the deal with you?

I would never deal with him again. :rulez:

Thanks for posting the PMs. You should remove Xelas address and your email address fropm them. (you can just go back to your post and hit Edit and delete those two pieces of info. I know Arch frowns on posting other people's addresses.

As far as the transaction, to me this is the key part:

Hey Sam

I can't do that to the UK. It may be $50-$60 for a slab. I won't cut corners and send it uninsured etc.

Hope you understand.

Boyd

Thanks

Sam

Especially where you made it clear you would not cut corners and send uninsured.

Seller: I think shipping will be in the range of X.

Buyer 1: OK. I'll take it.

Buyer 2: Please get back to me with an exact shipping quote and I'll make a decision.

One of those sounds like a deal to me. One doesn't.

Thanks for posting the PMs. You should remove Xelas address and your email address fropm them. (you can just go back to your post and hit Edit and delete those two pieces of info. I know Arch frowns on posting other people's addresses.

As far as the transaction, to me this is the key part:

Hey Sam

Hope you understand.

Boyd

Thanks

Sam

Especially where you made it clear you would not cut corners and send uninsured.

This also is significcant:

Checked the prices again. Here is what I got:

Priority Express International Insured for $400 3-5 market days: $63

Priority Mail International w/certificate of mailing, insured only to $70 6-10 days: approx. $53

1st Class package w/certificate of mailing, will not insure, must be less than $400, cannot give an estimate of delivery time as it depends on location: $31

Although I've never had a package go missing or get damaged I won't assume any responsibility on the 2nd and 3rd option.

Up to you. LMK

Boyd

Boyd is giving in to the 2 cheaper options, the cheapest of which is what Xela appears to be relating to. Yet he still refuses it?

Buyer 2: Please get back to me with an exact shipping quote and I'll make a decision.

Problem is Xela never stated #2. Where are you getting that from? (shrug)

Problem is Xela never stated #2. Where are you getting that from? (shrug)

I initially thought that but realized wombat was using the 2nd as an example of how it could have gone but didn;t.

IMO there was a deal. For whatever reason the buyer got cold feet and started to look for a way out.

Sam

I've packaged the books and used the online calculator to estimate the shipping. It comes to $63 for Priority Express International with insurance for $400. If it is different when I get to the post office I'll refund the difference.

With me paying $20 of the postage the total will be $493

Let me know if that is what you want to do.

Paypal is blackcatcomics@austin.rr.com

Boyd

At this point, I think the buyer took the bolded passage as the crack in the door to get out, and jumped through it.

That the seller was willing to consider cheaper options is to me a sufficient show of compromise and good faith to find against the buyer.

Whether it makes practical sense to go ahead with the PL nomination is another question, but that is the seller's call.

Update the list. :baiting:

Oh I have no problems updating the list. I want to see if Xela will return with anything to add or perhaps seek to close the deal. I am PMing bcc to see what date he sent the PL Discussion PM also to see if 3 days have passed.