• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Sometimes, people read messages from electronic devices but are away from their regular computer and can't answer, or don't want to send Paypal from a remote computer.

Good point and as we've seen this summer, some people have to travel for work (including internationally) and can be gone for a week or two.

Another tip is to check their profile page and see if they have an email address listed.

You can also check the member's profile to see when his last post was. That could give some insight whether he's unable or unwilling to respond to your PMs.

Sometimes, people read messages from electronic devices but are away from their regular computer and can't answer, or don't want to send Paypal from a remote computer. It's the weekend, I'd give it a few more days, but I certainly would not wait a month.

I dunno, I think waiting for payment, for 30 days, when you still have the item, is different from SENDING payment...and not getting the items, or sending the items, and not getting paid, in those cases one person is out something.

That's a good point. Although for the purposes of putting someone on probation...I don't know what the rules are.

I am not looking to put some one on probation I am just trying to figure out if I have to worry about getting my money or my books back. It is hard to believe that a long standing board member would really not make this right (sale was under $200). Thanks for the input.

Ed

How long has it been?

Another thing, I would ship books to people I have met or trust before getting paid.

Never to anyone I have never met or dealt with before, newbie or not.

How long has it been?

Another thing, I would ship books to people I have met or trust before getting paid.

I've broken your rule by shipping to Arex lots of time before payment. :(

How long has it been?

Either one of you was wearing a great disguise, or you have MET each other (what Nik said;) before;) :baiting::hi:

How long has it been?

Either one of you was wearing a great disguise, or you have MET each other (what Nik said;) before;) :baiting::hi:

Sharon you pink troll. I never met the hick before I sent it in the past. :jokealert:

How long has it been?

Sharon you pink troll. I never met the hick before I sent it in the past. :jokealert:

Oh, this is SO cool, no one has ever called me a troll before... :cloud9:

(((Greg:);):) !

OK, enough derailing, lol;) back to work

The books were signed for on Thursday-- The PM I sent last night was read. I sent another tonight. I am only mildly worried. It was my first sale on this board (in fact the first books I have sold since 1984), and was not sure what to expect.

I agree that it was unwise to ship before payment, but I also could tell that there was a little concern about new members.I thought selling to someone that had been on the board for a long time would let people know that I was for real.

Thanks again -- I really like it here

The books were signed for on Thursday-- The PM I sent last night was read. I sent another tonight. I am only mildly worried. It was my first sale on this board (in fact the first books I have sold since 1984), and was not sure what to expect.

I agree that it was unwise to ship before payment, but I also could tell that there was a little concern about new members.I thought selling to someone that had been on the board for a long time would let people know that I was for real.

It's only been since Thursday? I would't worry at all (yet).

Who's the boardmember?

It's only been since Thursday? I would't worry at all (yet).

Thanks -- I will chill out and not worry -- (yet) :cool:

If it was your first sale on the boards, and presumably first sale to this particular boardmember, why would you ship the books before receiving payment? I would never do that unless it was someone with whom I'd had years of successful transactions.

If it was your first sale on the boards, and presumably first sale to this particular boardmember, why would you ship the books before receiving payment? I would never do that unless it was someone with whom I'd had years of successful transactions.

What he said (thumbs u

I'm sure it's going to work out for you :wishluck:

What he said (thumbs u

I'm sure it's going to work out for you :wishluck:

doh!

I understand that you are just trying to fit in and complete a few transactions. I've had books shipped to me before I've paid for them by members I've never dealt with before. Give it a few more days, odds are the buyer just hasn't got around to paying. If payment doesn't arrive ask a long time board member to contact the buyer.

Who's the boardmember?

:popcorn:

Who's the boardmember?

(tsk) Don't kiss and tell.

Who's the boardmember?

(tsk) Don't kiss and tell.

:lol:

Seriously though, use this as a lesson to yourself, and I hope others will too. I would send something out before payment if it was someone I'd dealt with well more than once before maybe. But, it would have to be someone I'd had a long dialog with, and I probably wouldn't send anything big. I wouldn't expect that in return either.

On the few times someone has sent my books ahead of time, I've tried to put them to the front burner and pay quickly. I can't speak for anyone else, but that is just me. :)

I understand completely what you did in sending out books before payment. New sellers on here do NOT get the benefit of the doubt so I have been contemplating doing the same thing myself in offering shipping to buyers before payment as long as I recognize them as long term upstanding board members.

People do not want to take a chance on their honesty or even more so their grading skills. There is a thread in the discussion forum right now about putting limits and restrictions on new people.

So what other way can a new seller try to fit in right away besides hanging around for a few years and posting 5000 of these (worship) (thumbs u :popcorn::golfclap::applause::banana::signfunny:hm(shrug)